Used car MOT problems.

Brennk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just literally joined this forum to maybe get some help and advice from anybody else who has found themselves in a similar situation as myself. I recently purchased a used car for my step son aged 17 who has just passed his test. Admittedly it was getting on but was sold with a years mot from the date of purchase. A condition of the sale was that a leaky brake pipe would be replaced along with the rear exhaust box and I was assured that this had been done by the car dealer. So, armed with a new mot my step son began his driving career. Four days later he was involved in an accident,fortunatley with no injury to himself but a third party vehicle was involved. I have got Vosa involved and they have inspected the vehicle and state that the work "probably " had not been done to the brakes to repair them. The dealer says it is not his reponcibility as he sold the car with a new mot. The owner of the mot centre won`t accept the work has not been done as he was out of the country and now so is his head tester. Any suggestions for recourse? Ta.

Looks like you will have to take them to court, you will need an engineers report on the faults etc. this cost can be added to value of the claim.

You could try writing to them first asking for your money back and compensation, courts usually like that so you can show you have tried to resolve matter before court action.

How did you know about the leaking brake pipe ?

You should get back to Vosa. There is no way that a leaking brake pipe would get an Mot pass, not even a weep would be passable.

He admitted that it had a leak and yet gave a 12 month certificate.

Push Vosa to take action on your behalf and send a recorded letter to the dealer telling that you have been in contact with Vosa as you consider the Mot certificate was issued fraudently.

If you are going this alone, can you keep this thread updated with your progress so we can follow what happens and will also be of use to others who might have the same problem.

As said before, thanks for the advice so far. Just a quick update. I am also getting the police involved as a criminal offence has been committed in so much as a dangerous car has been sold. This has been confirmed by Vosa who did an inspection but they drew short of seriously condemning the Mot station who did the mot ( which rather oddly can`t be revoked. Once it`s been issued, no matter how dangerous the car is it can`t be taken away. Seriously strange.) but they would take internal disciplinary action against the mot station. In other words a slap on the wrist. As for the dealer, he is still hiding behind the fact that the car was sold with a years mot. The dealer has openly admitted that he does not have any receipts for the work allegedly done to the car and believe you me when I say that when we picked up the car in the first place I should have asked for them then. A big lesson learned. In fact, I shouldn`t have taken his word on the brakes having been repaired and should have inspected the car more thoroughly. Another lesson. That's it so far folks.