Not Sure Where To Turn, can anyone help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm a little stuck and dont know which way to turn. I have received a letter from 'CALL SERVE', who say they are demanding payment on behalf of DEBT MANAGERS LTD - EQUIDEBT LTD.

They are requesting £5032.08 immediately, and failure to comply could result in a DEBT COLLECTOR calling or a COUNTY COURT JUDGMENT being registered against me.

First off I am unsure what this debt relates to, I think it may be from back on 1999 - 2001 when I had an abbey national bank loan. I made a few payment back at the start, but i lost everything due to divorce, house, all money (savings), and job due to hitting the drink.

Its taken me years to get myself back together, and now I have a job and I am renting a house, I have very little money left each month due to maintenance etc.

I am really very worried as I dont need this, its keeping me awake with worry. I really dont know what to do and in what order etc? I dont know what i am entitled to do and what I am not etc?

Please, Please can anyone offer me some guidance and point me in the right direction / any advise? I'm at my wits end with worry.

Many thanks in advance.

Pete B.

Make them prove a debt exists and what it is, send them this;

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

Yours,

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

They send these letters to get your attention & frighten you into contacting them. Don't worry even if you are liable for this debt it is more than likely Statute Barred after all these years. If no payment has been made nor any written admission of the debt for a clear period of six years it will be Statute Barred and unenforceable. They are threatening court action so by the sounds of things there isn't a court order already against you (CCJ), which makes things even better for you.

So for now, send the letter above to see what this debt actually is. ;)

Thank you Very Much, i will send your letter off tomorrow.

Can I ask one more thing please.

They are writing to me at my parent house and the are using c/o (care of) to get the letter to my parents. Am I ok to reply from this address, my parent are happy for me to use this address, as Call Serve dont actually have my rented address.

I just wanted to make sure that I get it all right and dont put my foot in it etc..

Many thanks.

Pete B.

Hi Pabonline - I can't offer you any advise regarding your situation, but what I can say is don't worry too much, there are lots of people on here who are in a similar situation to you. You will receive lots of advise which will enable you to take control of the situation. Good luck:)

Have a read through this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/131409-cheekiness-towards-dca.html it'll cheer you up no end and show you what idiots debt collectors are and how they are dealt with. And remember the vast majority of members were/are in a very similar position as you but things certainly aren't as bad as you imagine. ;)

Thanks for that, I will have a read.

I will send your letter off tomororw and I will update this with any replies I get, thanks again for a very fast response and advise.

Pete B.

Hi,

I''CALL SERVE', who say they are demanding payment on behalf of DEBT MANAGERS LTD

Pete B.

Debt Managers are idiots - and they dont follow the debt collectors guidelines amongst other things

Good luck :)

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum

The great thing is to know when to speak and when to keep quiet.

(Seneca the Younger (attributed), Proverbs, 74)

Speech is given to many; intelligence to few - but if its well said, I said it!

:p

• 2 months later...

Well after almost 2 months waiting and no reply to your letter, they finally wrote to me today to say they would no longer be persuning the debt.

I cannot thank you enough as without your help I would have been struggling to repay something.

thank you very very much.

I'm off to make a small donation now.

Pete. :D

Well after almost 2 months waiting and no reply to your letter, they finally wrote to me today to say they would no longer be persuning the debt.

I cannot thank you enough as without your help I would have been struggling to repay something.

thank you very very much.

I'm off to make a small donation now.

Pete. :D

Thats very good news!:D:D

But don't count your chickens before they have hatched!!

They might have closed their files on you, but it is quite possible they will sell it to another DCA, who will again threaten to collect your doorstep unless you sell you arms and legs, oh and a kidney!;)

You might like to send them this letter template which tells them to give you an explanation as to why and how they were chasing you for an alleged debt.

Again send recorded delivery.

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!