• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Can anyone advise - GE money and HFC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have two PPI queries which I would appreciate some advice on.

I have had dealings with GE money and HFC in the past in in both cases agreed to PPI.

I have since discovered that as I suffer from a long term health problem the insurance would have been useless to me, neither companies discussed or made me aware of this at the time.

I SARd both companies and GE money duly supplied all relevant info.

I sent them a standard letter requesting a refund etc on all insurance monies paid and they responded that as they had sent me a 'brochure' detailing all terms and conditions (which frankly I don't remember) I should have read it thoroughly and been aware of the terms.

They also sent me a copy of the agreement I signed which makes no mention of issues that might affect the validity of the policy.

I replied that I did not accept their decision and asked them to reconsider or I would go to the financial ombudsman.

They then replied that they felt their decision was justified and unless I could prove to the contrary, that was that.

They also said (rather smugly, I felt) as the insurance was taken out before 2005 (4?) I could not take the case to the ombudsman.

In the case of HFC, I SARd them,

they sent me a form to fill in with details etc,

I returned it,

they then wrote and asked for a copy of my driving licence to prove I was who I was,

I sent that and have since heard nothing.

It has been more than 40 days since I sent the original letter.

The PPI with them was also taken out befor 2004 so will they eventually give me the the same response?

Any advice gratefully received on either matter and sorry it is such a long post.:confused:

Hello farmers girl

I have two PPI queries which I would appreciate some advice on. I have had dealings with GE money and HFC in the past in in both cases agreed to PPI. I have since discovered that as I suffer from a long term health problem the insurance would have been useless to me, neither companies discussed or made me aware of this at the time.

I SARd both companies and GE money duly supplied all relevant info.

I sent them a standard letter requesting a refund etc on all insurance monies paid and they responded that as they had sent me a 'brochure' detailing all terms and conditions (which frankly I don't remember) I should have read it thoroughly and been aware of the terms. They also sent me a copy of the agreement I signed which makes no mention of issues that might affect the validity of the policy. There should have been terms and conditions attached to the Consumer Credit Agreement and also a policy document for the PPI. If you have not received these they have failed to fully respond to your SAR and you should send a letter telling them this and complain to the Information Commissioners Office.

I replied that I did not accept their decision and asked them to reconsider or I would go to the financial ombudsman.

They then replied that they felt their decision was justified and unless I could prove to the contrary, that was that. They also said (rather smugly, I felt) as the insurance was taken out before 2005 (4?) I could not take the case to the ombudsman.

Have you spoken to the Financial Ombudsman Service about this?

If you have and they would not take up your case you could try the FLA.

In the case of HFC, I SARd them, they sent me a form to fill in with details etc, I returned it, they then wrote and asked for a copy of my driving licence to prove I was who I was, I sent that and have since heard nothing. It has been more than 40 days since I sent the original letter.

The PPI with them was also taken out befor 2004 so will they eventually give me the the same response?

Any advice gratefully received on either matter and sorry it is such a long post.:confused:

The HFC have been regulated by the FSA since....

Financial Services Authority 204483 01/12/2001 204483 is the company number from the FSA Register. Also HFC have already been fined by the FSA for mis-selling PPI. Please see this link...

FSA fines HFC Bank £1.085 million for PPI failings

IMO the first thing to do is send a letter to GE informing them that they have failed to fully comply with your SAR... there is a template letter here...

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance - Template Letters

Be specific and ask for:

The terms and conditions.

A copy of the policy documentation.

A copy of the Needs and Wants/Customer duty of Care questionnaire that should have been filled out at the point of sale. (This questionnaire should be completed by their staff to ensure they have asked all the correct questions about you with regard to the PPI to ensure it is fit for purpose.

As you have a pre existing medical condition, they clearly failed to ask you about this and probably to inform you that it would be an exclusion on their PPI policy.

In the case of HFC same again if they have not provided the data requested under your SAR letter of non compliance and per link above and in both cases a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.

For the Information Commissioners office. (this is an option if the DSAR is not complied with)

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ess_rights.pdf

Information Commissioner's Office - Information Commissioners Office

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...lain_final.pdf

Complaints - Information Commissioners Office

This is a copy of the letter I submitted if you can use the general idea of it and amend it to cover your own case please do so.

Submission of a Very Serious Formal Complaint against the Royal Bank of Scotland

Despite several further requests for the information as required by my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), none has been forthcoming.

Letters have been sent on:

24 January 2008

16 February 2008

12 March 2008

28 March 2008

2 April 2008

12 April 2008

12 April 2008 Request for CCA under provision of Consumer Credit Act 1974

19 April 2008

I have still not received Consumer Credit Agreements with associated paperwork on four of the loans. Because of the inordinate delays, the information requested on the first loan which was refinanced in March 2002 would be of no use as any claim against that loan would now be statute barred within the Scottish Courts.

I have not received data in the name of recordings of telephone conversations or transcripts of those conversations between the RBS and myself.

I have not received copies of emails or letters which I know exist.

I have also not received any properly certified documentation by Data Controllers within the RBS stating the information that I have requested has been disposed of, destroyed or erased.

The Royal Bank of Scotland is a member of the British Bankers Association (BBA), is licensed by the Financial Services Authority and should I believe, operate within the Law of the Land and therefore respond within the statutory timescales within Legal Acts at Law, namely the Data Protection Act 1998.

I have, when asked, provided information to the RBS, but it seems to me now, that they will try and delay supplying the data requested by using whatever delaying tactics they see fit. On one occasion referring me back to DLFS for the information I had requested. The fact that the DLFS had been legally transferred back to the RBS on 1 March 2006 (the transfer included all DLFS loans) was obviously overlooked by the Data Protection staff within the RBS.

This is indeed an extremely sorry state of affairs and it beggars belief that RBS staff would not be aware this Legal transfer had taken place.

My understanding is that the RBS had 40 days to fully supply all the information requested in my Subject Access Request, this has most certainly not happened.

I would therefore like to request that each addressee takes the appropriate measures to instruct or at least direct the RBS to supply this information to me as a matter of urgency.

I have a complaint lodged with the Information Commissioners Office Case Reference xxxxxx

I would now urge the Commissioner to consider an Enforcement notice against the RBS under Section 40 of the Data Protection Act.

I would also request that the Financial Services Authority, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Office of Fair Trading and the British Bankers Association add this extremely serious complaint to their files on the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Yours sincerely

A xxxxxxxxxxx

Hope this helps you stay in the fight to get your money back;)

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.