• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Debt notice - I have no debt, please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I received a letter today that really concerns me:

First of all, it has arrived at my address, when the address on the actual letter is 2 door numbers out - it has been reposted with "not known at this address, try (my number)". It has my name on it. The letter was originally sent 27 April.

It is from a company called "ROCKWELL DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY" requesting that I make the immediate payment of £2714.25, "Despite our previous correspondence, your above account remains unpaid" - I cant stress this enough, I have never had any debts, I don't have a mortgage, loans -NOTHING, and this is the first I've heard of any of this.

It could be that someone used to live 2 doors from me that had the same name?

Please can someone ofer some advice as I am now very stressed at the thought of be held accountable for this debt for which I am not responsible.

I can post more details of this letter if required.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Hello Sam, thank you for your quick reponse.

Before I proceed with the letter, is there any mileage at all in that the Debt collection agency have an address different to mine and that it was forwarded to my address by a suggestion of the occupant (in Biro on the envelope).

If I contact the Debt collection agency they will then have my address.

I'm not trying to be awkward about it, but I'd rather not give them my address if they don't have or need it?

Thanks.

hi,click on the blue high lighted debt collection in your post.

send them template 17.from the library.

send recorded.

print your name dont sign.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

I've seen this advice in a couple of places - I've sent signed letters to a PPC and a DCA. Should I be worried?

understand,but if they continue to chase you they will keep writting to your neighbour,and they will pass it on.

also lots of dca ****,pretend that they are going to doorstep visit,some send postcards sure you would not want neighbours knowing your buisness.

I would send prove it letter,and try to sort it out.

My point is, this isn't my business. The neighbour in question hasn't been there long and it could be that the previous occupant had the same name (it is very common).

Should I approach my neightbour and ask them not to forward the letters to me?

Perhaps ask them to just pop it back in the post box as "Not known at this address"

...or do you think that this is just too much of a coincidence?

Thanks again for your time.

I've seen this advice in a couple of places - I've sent signed letters to a PPC and a DCA. Should I be worried?

recomended not to sign,as a sig can be lifted,allegedly.

would not worry.:)

what letters did you send and to whom.

recomended not to sign,as a sig can be lifted,allegedly.

would not worry.:)

what letters did you send and to whom.

Shall I pop this in another thread? I don't want to hijack Digitalis' thread.

My point is, this isn't my business. The neighbour in question hasn't been there long and it could be that the previous occupant had the same name (it is very common).

Should I approach my neightbour and ask them not to forward the letters to me?

you could but postman might notice your name and presume add mistake,depends on how often they intend to write,might get neighbours back up if the have to carry on returning.

Perhaps ask them to just pop it back in the post box as "Not known at this address"

...or do you think that this is just too much of a coincidence?

could be,but it is poss that previous occupant had same surname,you could ask neighbour .

Thanks again for your time.

dcas are not known for just going away and will tend to ignore the not at the address.

i have a thread regarding a neighbour who has been bombarded with mail for 15months for someone not at his address,he has returned them all,opened the last one and wrote saying that he was not the person they wanted,they have had the check to write to him asking for proof,and threatned a visit to check his ID.

Shall I pop this in another thread? I don't want to hijack Digitalis' thread.

yes,its also easier for you to keep track of,

depending on who dca is,you will get more help from caggers who are or have dealt with.

Thanks for all your help Sam, I must say I am tempted just to wait and see what happens, would I be risking anything be doing this?

you could wait to see if they contact again,and its passed on.

imho i think at the moment the only thing you are risking is like i said any comeback from the neighbour who is recieving.

Can I ask if you have a fairly commonplace name??

If your name was Steve Jones as opposed to Barack Obama then I would be more inclined to ignore it for now.

If it were the latter then I would be more tempted to send them a "prove it" letter.

EDIT: Sorry, I've just noticed that you've already stated that you have a fairly common name.

Trouble is, I guess, is that if they call at your neighbours house, then he will just direct them to your property??

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Hi, Digitalis and Co.

I'm going to move this thread to the DCA Forum.

EDIT: Thread moved.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Think I'd ask the neighbour out of curiosity what the previous owner was called first.

DG:)

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

My name is quite common place yes, I know of 3 others of the same name and around my age within a 2 mile radius, and I'm sure there are more that I don't know of.

It has spoiled my weekend I must admit, I stress very easy. But if anything is going to happen I suppose it will happen soon because they gave the intended receipieint 7 days to respond (before 'action' is taken) and it was originally sent 27 April.

If anyone turns up here, do they have any right to enter my premises without my concent?

Thanks again, I know I keep thanking people but it's just a show of how much I appreciate the help (because I'm clueless on this).

Edit: I forgot to mention it is a total name match, First name & surname, both are common place.

Do not get STRESSED out by DCA ****. They are nobodies. They have no LEGAL POWERS whatsoever. They have no right to even visit your property let alone force entry.

If I were you I would do anything at the moment. Wait and see if another letter turns up and then send back to sender not known. We have been doing that for a couple of months now and I think we are starting to get another batch for someone different. Treating it the same.

If you get a caller on the doorstep tell them to leave your premises as they have no rights whatsoever. If they refuse just call the police. Would not give them any details of yourself in anyway. Certainly do not ring at all as then they have your number. You can check the electoral roll on 192.com to see if anyone has lived at your neighbours house with the same name. Good idea to check your credit references as well in case of pampering by the DCA.

7 days in normal threat for dca ****.

most of us have had dozens of 7 day deadlines and spent years waiting for a friendly

visit or court trip:D

dont let it stress you,wait and see what happens.

Let them call and tell them to bxxxxx off. It's called trespass if you don't want them there. They have no rights of any description.

DG:)

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Sorry I haven't replied, been really busy with work.

Thank you for your reassurance and advice. I'm going to do nothing until I have no choice but to act (if they end up trying this address) at which point I'll be back for your priceless guidance.

Thanks again!

Hello all.

Another letter has turned up, this time it's a docket style letter (the same as you'd get your pay advice in). I havent opened it, although if I hold it up to the light I can see in big bold red letters "Final Letter Before Action".

Again, the address is wrong by 2 door numbers - but this time the postman dropped it through OUR DOOR, I think because of the last letter and because of the namebeing the same as other post - surely that's wrong?

I've wrote "Not Known at This Address" and I'm waiting for the post man to come again so I can explain to him that these are not my letters and that he should not post them throuh my door, although if I've missed him today then I won't see him until next Saturday, in which case I'll put the damn letter back in the post box.

Does anyone have any comments, or further advice?

Thanks