Charges raised account to account clydesdale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, (great site)

I have a few accounts in the Clydesdale Bank PLC up here in Scotland. I had set up a weekly standing order which transfered funds from my current account to my budget account, the budget account being my main source of paying, via standing order, all my creditors. I am now paid monthly, and have been for a few months now, and therefore sometimes (a lot of times) my current account has insufficient funds to cover the weekly standing order to the budget account. I know the simple most expedient method would be to cancel it and administer it myself via internet banking, an option I shall do at a later date, however, as this "insufficient funds" scenario appears I am charged £35 every time. I am effectively fining myself via the bank because I am not paying myself every time. Now this was going to be my test letter to the bank asking (begging?) for these charges to be reimbursed without prjudice to any future claims to any other accounts to any other charges.

Is it "legal" for them to charge £35 for what is essentially me paying myself via another account, is it essentially the same as me not paying an external creditor regards status of "crime" and punishable with the regular £35?

Please advise on this, it would be most appreciated. What are the chances of getting this back from the bank?

baba484

At the moment it is lawful for them to charge you since the OFT test case is still ongoing, but as you tell from the £35 especially as it is going between both accounts, I can hardly see the service is stopping the payment and charging £35, can you? I think you have to start the standard bank charges reclaiming. If it was the first time, then the bank might consider refunding as a one off, however, if it isn't then they won't.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi yourbank,

Thanks for your prompt reply and advice. I was going to send them this letter (reproduced below) as an opening salvo before I went full on nuclear attack, test the waters and their will. My point is the internal transaction and not an external one. I am paying from one of my accounts to another one, if I don't have funds then they shouldn't attempt to take any.

XXXXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXXXXX

08/05/09

Clydesdale Bank PLC

30 The Foregate

Kilmarnock

Ayrshire

KA1 1JH

Ref: internal bank charges raised against account XXXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to you with the greatest of respects and wish to highlight to you the punitive actions you are raising against my account as referenced above; surely this must be an error. A £35 charge is being levied against this account for every unpaid internal branch transfer I cannot meet due to insufficient funds. I accept that having insufficient funds to pay external creditors is subject to some nominal charge however, considering this is an internal mono-branch transfer I must be regarded as both payee and creditor, where you effectively fine me for not paying me.

I would have expected the very slightest audit of my banking arrangements to have highlighted this to you earlier however this has not happened. I would have assumed that my annual bank charges would have included some kind of auditing and suggested tailoring of my accounts to maximise them and, as the saying goes, “make my money work for me”, I have evidently slipped through the net.

I therefore request, most humbly, that you review my accounts and reimburse them the levied charges of £35 where I have, to my cost, authorised an automated internal bank transfer when funds where unavailable. I feel sure that you will agree with this thinking and return these inappropriate charges accordingly, I would be most grateful, furthermore I would appreciate documented data of your appraisal with regards the number of times this charge has been levied. I do of course make this request without prejudice to any future claims that may or may not be made against your company with regards any of my accounts and any other charges that have been levied for whatever reason.

Yours sincerely,

Baba484

• 1 month later...

The blue touch paper has been lit, stand back and wait to see what is shaken from the tree!!:)

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

19/06/09

Clydesdale Bank PLC

30 The Foregate

Kilmarnock

Ayrshire

KA1 1JH

Ref: internal bank charges raised against account XXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to you with the greatest of respects and wish to highlight to you the punitive actions you are raising against my account as referenced above; surely this must be an error. A £35 charge is being levied against this account for every unpaid internal branch transfer I cannot meet due to insufficient funds. I accept that having insufficient funds to pay external creditors is subject to some nominal charge however, considering this is an internal mono-branch transfer I must be regarded as both payee and creditor, where you effectively fine me for not paying me.

I would have expected the most modest of audit of my banking arrangements to have highlighted this to you earlier however this has not happened. I would have assumed that my annual bank charges would have included some kind of auditing and suggested tailoring of my accounts to maximise them and, as the saying goes, “make my money work for me”, I have evidently slipped through the net.

I therefore request, most humbly, that you review my accounts and reimburse all the levied charges of £35 where I have, to my cost, authorised an automated internal bank transfer when funds where unavailable. I feel sure that you will agree with this thinking and return these inappropriate charges accordingly for which I would be most grateful, furthermore I would appreciate documented data of your appraisal with regards the number of times this charge has been levied. I do of course make this request without prejudice to any future claims that may or may not be made against your company with regards any of my accounts and any other charges that have been levied for whatever reason.

Yours sincerely,

Baba484

Well written letter,

I myself have written many to my bank and in hindsight I must be the most sarcastic customer that exists?

One day we might all have a laugh and share our communications to these banks!:)

• 3 weeks later...

A response!!!:D

Copy below the banks letter of response.............

1 July 2009

Dear Mr Baba 484,

I refer to your letter dated 19 June 2009

First of all accept my apologies that you found it necessary to raise a complaint with the Bank. I have completed my investigations into your concerns and would like to present my findings.

My understanding of the issue you have raised is as follows:

~ Charges that have been levied to the account

I have today spoken with Advice Quality Unit who have confirmed that they have written to you advising of the procedure which is in place for any charge queries.

After checking your account I can confirm that our Current Account Management Unit have refunded £105 of charges after your recent conversation with them. This was due to 2 of the payments going internally and the other payment being for a small amount.

At this time we are not in a position that we can refund any more charges as they have been applied within the terms and conditions of the account however, Advice Quality Unit will be in touch with the final decision.

I have enclosed for your information a copy of our Internal Complaint Handling Procedures. These procedures confirm how to pursue your complaint if you remain unhappy with this response and how to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if we cannot resolve the matter.

If we do not receive a response from you within eight weeks of the date of this letter, your complaint will be considered closed.

I trust this clarifies the matter and thank you for taking the time and trouble in bringing this to my attention.

Yours sincerely

XXXX XXXX (baba484 note, ß those aren’t kisses)

Copy below my response to the response................

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

15/07/09

XXXX,

Branch Supervisor,

Clydesdale Bank PLC

30 The Foregate

Kilmarnock

Ayrshire

KA1 1JH

Ref: internal bank charges raised against account XXXX

Dear Mrs/Miss XXXXX,

Many thanks for your reply to my letter dated 19 June 2009 regarding internal bank charges to the above referenced account.

I note you make reference to my contact with the Current Account Management Unit however feel I must point out that that contact was at their “urgent” insistence rather than my own dull witted initiative and actually not related to any charges whatsoever but rather the state of my account at that time. During the course of my conversation however, internal charges were discussed and I also referred to my recent correspondence to you, and without any fuss whatsoever I was given the £105 refund you reference in your correspondence. Furthermore you have acknowledged in your correspondence that these reimbursements were “due to 2 of the payments going internally and the other payment being for a small amount.” I am naturally pleased that you have acknowledged that these internal payments should not be subject to punitive sanctions, which was, indeed, the main thrust of my initial request for review.

My initial letter was perhaps unclear, for which I apologies, to whit I was inquiring about one specific type of payment, viz a viz branch internal specifically from account XXXXXXXX to account XXXXXXXX. As a result of your reply to my initial letter and your clear and unambiguous explanation of why I was reimbursed by your Current Account Management Unit I would request that you carry out a most urgent review of account XXXXXXXX and continue the course of corrective action that you have initiated.

I assure you that there are numerous instances of this sanction being levied and I am sure your audit shall attest to this fact.

I look forward to your reply regards this matter which, gauging by the establishment of banking conditions for and against punitive sanctioning, I feel we are close to resolving. Once again I reiterate that I do of course make this request without prejudice to any future claims that may or may not be made against your company with regards any of my accounts and any other charges that have been levied for whatever reason.

Yours sincerely,

Baba484

See what falls from the tree this time!