Scott & CO default

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I need some Advice and my problem is,

Letter attached from Scotts & Co

We (my Ex wife and me) had an agreement to pay £60 Per month (£30 each) I have just found after calling Scotts & co, she defaulted last month and that is why the letter was send out.

The only option Scotts gave me was to pay the whole sum or come up with an agreement with increased payments. At present I'm not working, I cant sign on due to missed Stamp payments from a couple of years ago when self-employed, and have nothing coming in.Thankfully my partner is supporting me just now while I look for another job.

Any advice on what I can do to buy some time until i have money coming in would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Poll tax.jpg

Do you think it would be possible to seporate my 1/2 of the bill from the Ex wifes. I don't want my non payment to cause her problems ie having wages arrested etc. Because that will in turn effect our kids who live with her.

Hi, Leith.

I've been paying them for years, they keep asking me to up the payments but I can't so pay what I can.

It might be a good idea to send them a letter explaining your situation.

Make up your own income and exp sheet and send a letter of proposal and include a payment with a postal order, if you can, advise them on the letter when and how you will be making your future payments.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re Account No/Reference No:−

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx.

As per your letter I cannot afford to make a payment of £xx per month as you will see from the enclosed a full income and expenditure sheet.

We enclose a Personal Budget sheet which shows our total income from all sources, and the total outgoings of our household. As you can see we only have £xx to make offer of payment to yourself.

Please find enclosed £xx postal order as our first payment. We will make our next payment of £xx on xx/xx/xx by postal order/cheque/online and all futher payments will be made/sent on xxth of each month by xxxxxxx.

Should my circumstances improve we will contact you again.

Thank you for your assistance.

Yours faithfully

Have a look at this 'link'.........

Download form | free legal help from Govan Law Centre, Glasgow, UK

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks Scott,

The position I'm in just now I can't pay anything, until I find work. thenI wil be able to make payments and hopefuly carry on as before. thework situation could change at any moments as I have a couple of possible positions but untill then ???

/George

Hi, George.

I'm really not sure whats the best thing to do, could you not get in touch with them and offer even £10, just to show you are trying to continue to pay.

I'll have a sketch around and try get you more help.

Regards.

Scott.

At this point I don't even have £10 (it really is that bad).

Tell me about it, been there done it, not too bad now, surviving.

Like I say, if I can help you anymore I will.

Regards.

Scott.

Hi Leith,

If you cannot afford anything then you can't but this will mean they will then persue your ex for full amount.

The thing is if you are living with someone as their partner then for council tax billing and arrears, the household income is used.

Due to your circumstances, I would write detailing that you have no acutal income and do not qualify for beneifts that you will 0 until you either find employment or even offer £1 per month until the siutaion improves. (leaving out that you live with someone at this stage).

But as above then will then seek payment for full or remainder from your ex.

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks Ada

Its not looking that good then.

I will have to grub around and see if i can get at least £10 from someone, and follow the letter above. Then at least i should have bought some time.

Or

As the letter states them will come and chase me, so fingers crossed that employment comes in. I was hoping to hear if I had a job today but the call did not come. Also had an interview but that was canceled yesterday but should be re-scheduled. So maybe a week to sort things out?

Either way its gonna be a white knuckle ride.

Cheers George

If they come after you what can they get??? If your living with someone, then presumably it is their house and furniture. Have you a car or any other assets that they can seize?? You can't get blood out of a stone according to my Granny. If you can hold off, there will be plenty work in central Fife and elsewhere shortly.

No problem george, I know it would be easier for you if it was in your name only.

just remember if you make a payment proposal just keep to it and on time and they tend to leave you alone.

I know with walker love you can make payments online and if scott have sent you a giro you can use these details to pay online.

I found it easier and at the end of each week the few pounfd that was left in my account i use to pay as extra and it was amazing over the years how much that even helped.

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi Leith, I would get help from your councils debt advisor. If you have no assets and don't own property. Bankruptcy is an alternative you should think about. Make an appointment with CAB for expert advice. Costs £100 but well worth it for the relief you get.

bankcruptcy should only be looked at as a very very very last option and it wouldn't help leiths situation

ida x

Edited by IdaInFife
added n't

bankcruptcy should only be looked at as a very very very last option

Agree with Ida on that one.

Regards.

Scott.

Hi Leith, I would get help from your councils debt advisor. If you have no assets and don't own property. Bankruptcy is an alternative you should think about. Make an appointment with CAB for expert advice. Costs £100 but well worth it for the relief you get.

I would not think about this for a while yet!!!:-x

I would seek advice from CAB regarding this to be honest.

Good Luck and keep us all updated

We are very worried about what we are doing

:mad:Trying to sort my credit file out :mad:

Leith, I think its important to say that you should do everything in writing. I presume you're dealing with the Edinburgh office of Scott and Co? I've found them to be a particularly nasty and bullying mob of goons on the phone. They phoned me one day to arrange payments and the (Edit) on the phone wouldn't put my proposal through unless I told her who my employer was. They have no legal right to demand such details.

Edited by maroondevo52
Removed unsuitable word

Edinburgh Office, had problems with them. Got the parrot, all he could say was "immediate payment" and "who do you bank with". Knowing my only income was benefit related they then tried to arrest my bank account. Totally illegal behaviour.

Leith I agree with the other posters about the serious nature of going bankrupt. Which is why you need expert advice. I only suggested it as you seem under so much pressure. Been there myself mate.

You can "sign on" as unemployed. Even if you been self employed and missed NI contributions. You might not get money but your then under the protection of the benefits system. Maximum Scott and Co can get of you is under £4.00 a week. Hope this helps a little.

• 3 months later...

I've just had a call from someone representing Scott & Co. I owe money to Glasgow City Council and have an arrangement to pay my existing Council Tax plus a bit extra every month. I have declined to pay to Scott & co directly preferring to pay directly at the councils web site as and when I have funds. I suspect that the Sheriff Officers are cheated out of their commission if I do not pay them directly but I don't see that as my problem.

That's the background info over, my question is this: The caller was clearly from an Indian Call Centre. Is it acceptable that with rising unemployment here in the UK that Council Tax payers should be funding offshore call centres regardless of whether this may be the lowest cost option?

you haven't cheated them out of the commision. as soon as a summary warrant is issued then 10% of the total balance is added automatically.

the person you spoke too probarbly works for other major companies as well. a call centre will belong to one company and then contract in work form other sources

ida x

Hi Ida, I understand that there is a statutory addition of 10% but does the Sheriff Officer actually get this if they fail to collect? I suspect not. Anyway I see no reason to pay them via a slow route when there is a perfectly adequate fast route online. That way I'm paying as and when I have funds and not worrying that by the time the payment is presented that there may be insufficient funds at the bank!

Of course I know that call centre staff represent many companies but my point was that there are call centres here in Glasgow and many more throughout the UK, so why send this business offshore? Surely our councils should be supporting local business before lining to pockets of some foreign company?