Jobseekers allowance question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there i'm not working and i'm an at home web developer and i want to know can i claim Jobseekers allowance without having to look for a job as the money will come in VERY handy as i have NO other source of income

please advise

Personally, I would say no you can't.

To qualify for JSA, you must be actively seeking work.

That is why it's called "JobSEEKER'S Allowance.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

but i work from home but earn nothing from it can i not get some kind of help?

So you ARE working!

JSA is for people who are out of work and looking for employment, it is not intended to supplement a business that makes no money.

If you make no money as a web developer, then you must decide whether you want to find work that does pay, or carry on with your hobby.

You will not get JSA if you are not ACTIVELY looking for work.

Why should the state subsidise your hobby?

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

first off i'm not working that was a mistake to say that and it's not really a hobby i just run a few sites in my spare time NOT business i just want to know if i can get some money to help out with the bills etc

or do i HAVE to be looking for a job as i have no qualifications and didn't finnish school so i don't think i have any/many options :|

As I said, to qualify for JSA, You must be actively seeking work.

There is a saying. which is very true, "You don't get owt for nowt".

There's no such thing as a free meal. It has to be paid for, somewhere along the line.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

I have no idea what they do in America. What the Americans do is of no consequence, here.

When in Rome.... etc.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Further education to gain the skills you need. Either that, or look for unskilled work.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Varies from area to area.

But if you don't look for it you'll never know!

It won't come looking for you.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

In this economic climate you have to take what's available and what you're qualified for.

Or enrol for courses to get the qualifications.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Steve, I am unemployed and am doing anything and everything I can to get a job. That includes, each day without fail, checking the jobs pages of 40 local authorities, 8 search engines, 12 employment agencies ( though I don't know why I bother with them), 3 newspapers and a partridge in a pair tree (sorry), speculative letters and so on.

Like Rooster has continually stated, you need to actively seek work to claim benefit.

Depending on how old you are, you may be entitled to help with further education. Qualifications and experience are not needed for all jobs, but as a minimum you should have some GCSE including English and Maths.

There are agencies that can help. Connexions is one, and there will also be help at the job center.

If you are not sure what you want to do, you should write down a list of things that interest you and that you are good at. Match them up and you will have a good idea of what work you will do well in.

But one thing. It is you who must make the effort. No-one is going to do job searches for you. No-ne is expecting you to go for any job, but without qualifications or experience you are quite limited in what you can choose. Once you are in a job, it will be easier to get something else.

turn your computer off, get to the job center and get yourself signed on. Get some help and advice off them and start looking.

And to claim JSA, you have to prove that you are actively looking for work.

One of the biggest problems is getting references after long periods of unemployment. Consider volunteer work. You can do a certain amount a week without affecting JSA. But more importantly, you are "networking". You get talking to people and positions may open up to you even if they are not in a direction you are looking.

I left school went into the IT business. Got made redundant, got a job in light engineering. Got made redundant again, got an office job as a drawing office clerk. Left to run computer systems for a a hospital trust on the south coast. Left to work for Barclays Bank - got made redundant - again!!. Got a job as an office manager for a railway maintenance company. Got TUPE'd then moved to a job on the tracks swinging a hammer - how IT is that! Now back working for the NHS in Cornwall in IT.

Some of these jobs I was forced to take, but most of them were found by looking around and writing to the Director of IT for various companies.

Moral of this story - if you sit on your backside, you don't get anywhere. Opportunities are what you make of them.

Guest wino

Don't worry Steve I am sure everyone here on cag will have a collection for you and give you our hard earned money to pay your bills and keep you fed and watered. We wouldn't want you to have to go out once a fortnight to sign on for free money as you might get cold or exhausted.

Poor love ........passing collection plate now........:p

In this economic climate you have to take what's available and what you're qualified for.

Or enrol for courses to get the qualifications.

this was like 2-3 years back so there was no economic climate back then ;)

Well , at least you can count up to three that's a start

**** you

Don't worry Steve I am sure everyone here on cag will have a collection for you and give you our hard earned money to pay your bills and keep you fed and watered. We wouldn't want you to have to go out once a fortnight to sign on for free money as you might get cold or exhausted.

Poor love ........passing collection plate now........:p

**** you

You could try the Doctors :rolleyes:

and **** you to

anyways why are you all talking like i'm expecting something from nothing or that i want free money or an amazibng job to fall out the sky? all i was saying is can i get JSA to help with my at home web develpment and all you guy do (other then a few helpful people) is take the ****

anyways i expect i'll get banned now so whatever...

hi there i'm not working and i'm an at home web developer and i want to know can i claim Jobseekers allowance without having to look for a job as the money will come in VERY handy as i have NO other source of income

please advise

You did say(see above) How can I claim Job Seekers Allowance without having to look for a job.

Ask a question like that and people will take the ****

OK. joking aside. The best thing you can do is to go down to the Job Centre and sign on. Check with them first, as in my area you have to apply over the phone, takes about twenty minutes. Then when you have answered all their questions they will give you an appointment time to sign on.

Thats it, you go there every couple of weeks and you never know you might find a job in there or advice on training etc. It's probably wrong time of year for college courses. But you can start applying now for courses starting in autumn.:)

One of the conditions of claiming Jobseekers allowance is that you are actively seeking and available for, employment. They do perform review appointments which you must attend and show evidence that you are seeking work as part of your claim.

You would not receive any other benefits as a subsidery to your income or in place of income if you are fit for work unless you are a single parent with a child under the age of 12.

If you are deemed fit for work and wish to claim benefit and are not a single parent then the only option available is jobseekers allowance or new deal, however you must fulfil the conditions of claim. With New deal you are expected to participate in courses or attend workshops. If you don't comply with the conditions of claim, then your benefit can be sanctioned (stopped).

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)