NPower Passed me to BCW & I never had contract with them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to live in a flat that was eventually repossessed because the landlady didn't pay her mortgage while i paid the rent religiously.

My agreement with landlady was to to pay my rent inclusive (utility bills + council tax) as i was living in a small studio flat using one radiator to warm the whole place but as soon as i paid the deposit for the flat and moved in i never met the landlady again and we usd to correspond through emails because she was living in Spain.

I never open a letter thats not addressed to me and with good faith thiking the landlady is paying those bills as agreed (utility + council tax) but then i started to get final demands so i was concerned and when i failed to reach the landlady through emails i opened the letter to be surprised with a huge £800+ bill!

What made things worse i couldn't find my tenancy agreement anywhere as i tried to communicate with Npower but they wouldn't talk to me due to data protection so they asked me for tenancy agreement and again i cant reach the landlady through email or phone calls.

i had 2 choices

1- ignore it all then live in darkness with no electricity

2- try to call Npower and setup payment plan to pay in instalments then deduct the amount from the rent

so i went for the 2nd choice but no one will talk to me, eventually someone who sounded helpful said the only way for me to be able to speak on that account is by adding my name to the account so i can be acknowledged,i thought i was trying to help and for someone who was 2 days away from losing his power supply i said ok and we agreed 12 months repayment plan.

2 months later i received a notice from solicitors giving me 11 days to leave the property because its being repossessed by the bank so i endedup leaving the flat.

Few days ago i applied for credit bu for he first time ever i was refused credit! checked my credit file and to my surprise i found a a default entry from Npower!!

How can they default me and i never signed any contract with them?

went back to the old property since i still have the mail box key and got piles of letters from Npower and now they added my name next to the landlady!

also found a letter from Buchanan Clark + Wells acting behalf of Npower chasing me for £627

i couldn't believe my eyes! called Npower immediately and they said You took responsibility of the account on a phone call allowing us to add your name!

No i haven't as i was only old they're adding my name on their systems for Data Protection reasons not for liablity!

I am shaking with anger and frustration as i am writing this and thats not all! i realised Council tax issued summons and the date for hearing was today in my name and i never even received a letter from them before.

I am sorry for the lengthy thread but i really dontknow what to do!?

can i send the CCA letter to Npower or is it only for credit companies ?

I never signed a contract or agreed any liability with Npower yet they ruined my credit file with defaults..

Please help my fellow consumers

Morgan

Guest Carbon_kid

How about getting a transcript of the phone call to Npower under a data Subject Request and see what was really said. You can make a Data Subject Request on anyone who holds data on you.

Contact Buchanan Clark + Wells and ask them for a transcript of the phone call of alleged agreement with Npower as you dispute that you are a customer. Maybe a Data Subject Request on them as well as it will give you some time.

I don't know about the Council Tax as I've always lived alone.

It seems strange that you can just add yourself to someone else's utility account!

Thanks for your response CK

I will try that but I dont know if its legal for any supplier to add your name to someone else's account then pass your account to DCA.

The CCA template is great but i dont know if i can use it with POWER Suppliers i.e Npower, i mean come on aren't we supposed to agree to their terms and conditions verbally or electronically first ?

Npower couldn't find the landlady who signed up for their service and made me liable for an account i never had anything to do with.

Can i use the CCA template with Npower or is there anything similar for Utility companies ?

Guest Carbon_kid

Anyone who holds information on you must supply you with copies of that information when you request it. Adjust the template but what you want is a transcript of the phone conversation where they allege you made a verbal agreement. Especially the bit where they tell you that 'you will be responsible for all of the bill if they can't find the other party'. Maybe you could try getting yourself onto someone else's utility bill with Npower and see what happens.

I do appreciate your help very much CK since you are the only person who bothered to answer me.

Followed your advice and sent a request for the transcript of that call they alleged i took responsibility for that account.

My question is what will i do with it ?

I mean if NPower already added me to a contract that wasn't mine in the first place i think they're capable of amending their transcripts or that idiot who took the call might've wrote a misleading note.

Can i use the CCA template with Npower

Sorry, the answer is no. Energy companies do not have a credit license as do not give out credit so are not bound by these laws. but they have to comply with a SAR.

I am still waiting for the subject access request from NPower where they alleged i agreed to take full resposnibility but i am not sure what i can do what the information?

I mean i was only attempting to pay a bill i shouldn't have paid so i wouldn't live in darkness so what can i do with their record ?

please advise

Thanks Ozzywizard and CK