Foreign banks: UK customers getting a raw deal?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5463 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

When looking at UK banks it might be interesting to see what banking services customers in other countries are being offered.

I've used a Scandinavian bank for many years (as well as UK ones) and I am simply shocked at how much UK banks charge. In fact, compared to my nice Scando bank I am getting a raw deal.

Anyone have current accounts abroad? I am interested to hear what their cost structure is like and how much they charge.

My bank abroad charges 18% APR interest from the day you went overdrawn. That's it! If they have to send you a letter they will charge approx £4 (they only send a letter if you go massively overdawn or you have been overdrawn for a long time). If you only go overdrawn for a few days the 18% only amounts to a few pounds.

Having said that - the cost structure is different. The banking is not free. Paying bills, standing orders, withdrawing cash from cash machines etc. - there is a fee. However it's quite low and any intra-bank payments you make clear overnight.

Yes we are all interested in this. Can you post translated list of costs, charges etc.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5463 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you