• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unenforceability Cases on hold until further notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am very pleased you won yesterday SEW & would be interested to read the judgment when it comes through.

However, just to clarify, as the case was heard in the County Court unfortunately it doesn't set a legal precedent although it could be referred to by other claimants/defendants but a DJ is under no obligation to take notice of it.

Case was heard by a District Judge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't. Nearly all cases in County Courts are Heard by District Judges, by the way.
please yourself. You know better! at that point i don't think i can be bothered with writing anymore on this website. Fact I won and who should a care about? oh yeah me!

A note Courts must follow their own proclamations of law made earlier on other cases, and honor rulings made by other courts in disputes among the parties before them pertaining to the same pattern of facts or events, unless they have a strong reason to change these rulings.

I will post it on my own site have a good day

Edited by SteEqWar

please yourself. You know better! at that point i don't think i can be bothered with writing anymore on this website. Fact I won and who should a care about? oh yeah me!

Congrats on winning.

I'm interested in ensuring that the information on this site is as accurate as it can possibly be.

Best wishes,

Seq.

I would not cease paying this type of credit agreement an waiting for them to take court action.

I would take the action against the lender. That the terms of the credit agreement are UNFAIR they certainly sound like they are unfair.

The problem is that the agreement amount you have is £35,000 the amount should be on what is called an unregulated credit agreement.

If the agreement is on the wrong paperwork , which I have seen happen once before with Mercedes Finance where they wrote the agreement on consumer credit act 74 agreement in would look like the agreement doess not match the prescribed terms of law and thus would be unenforable

I hope this information helps

Thanks for the advice SteEqWar,

I will not stop paying. I will however wait to see what the Solicitor comes back with.

Thank you

It does when its heard by a District Judge

A note Courts must follow their own proclamations of law made earlier on other cases, and honor rulings made by other courts in disputes among the parties before them pertaining to the same pattern of facts or events, unless they have a strong reason to change these rulings.

Sorry to see you feel like this. You obviously have a lot to offer the forums. However, other posters are correct. Judgements in County Courts, even heard by a District Judge are merely persuasive.. not precedents.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Congrats on winning.

I'm interested in ensuring that the information on this site is as accurate as it can possibly be.

Best wishes,

Seq.

And who are you "A Barister"? Your inforamtion will be shockingly wrong if you continue and as you claim you want this site to remain with accurate information.

Any case brought before a court can use the merits of any case brought as long as the has similar facts.

I can see that you are more interested in discrediting people and it looks like you're more interested in a slanging match. Whats the problem are you jealous that I won and you had not thought of the idea?

Fact is no-one has taken there bank to court before for this type of claim.

I have and I won which must mean that I know something.

I put it to you that you don't really know an whole lot and no wonder lots of people end up with major problems based on the information on this site.

Courts must follow their own proclamations of law made earlier on other cases, and honor rulings made by other courts in disputes among the parties before them pertaining to the same pattern of facts or events, unless they have a strong reason to change these rulings.

Fact is I win my cases, I have the proof I win my cases. Where's yours?

Best Wishes

Mickiestar,

What exactly were you hoping to find out here, from caggers?

DD

Other peoples opinions, views and potential ramifications of Mcguiffick

Kraken1 and a few others who I believe have actually read the judgement and understand it like myself can see outside the box and are looking at the bigger picture.

As for those who slated me if you disagree with me and state that what I have said is rubbish please do the decent thing and back up what you say with reasoned arguments for why.

The Consumer Credit Act is not black and white there are many grey areas in between

Kraken1 I will get back to you with the paragraph relating to issue of proceedings not being enforcement

However logically the issue of proceedings can never be enforcement on the basis that if it was it would take away the lenders right to argue that the agreement was enforceable in a court of law.

Mickie x

I googled 'precedent county court' and the first result was

Legal Directory - UK Solicitors, Barristers, Lawyers

Scroll down to the bbottom and you'll find this

County Court

The County Court is bound by all decisions of the higher courts, but its own decisions never create precedents.

Els

Depending on who the DJ was?

I believe that the judgement could be followed by others on the same circuit?

Don't shoot me if I am wrong.

No problem AC, The best thing to do is see the judgement when I receive it. I agree anyone is entitled to their opinion. But as for the "sequenci" statement I am of the opinion that he/she would sooner lower the opionion of me by posting something negative about me that could lower other people's of me unless his/her statment in itself is true, The only way of finding that out is by waiting for the judgement. What "sequenci" said could be seen as libel. sequenci worded his comment to indicate that my information is inaccurate and also referenced my job. because there is a case that can be verified and there is an injured party (me) I would expect that "sequenci" withdraw his statement and apologise.

The way you wrote yours I have no problems with at all

Fine Regards

SteEqWar

Originally posted by SteEqWar

I put it to you that you don't really know an whole lot and no wonder lots of people end up with major problems based on the information on this site.

Hello SteEqWar

Firstly may I congratulate you on your win. You have shown a clear determination to see this through and get the judgment that is fair and correct in all the circumstances of your case.

On precedent I am afraid you are wrong and I'm sorry that it has resulted in some exchanges in posts which are not in the spirit of this site.

The doctrine of precedence is governed by the doctrine of stare decisis et non quieta movere - meaning that in order to create consistency and certainty in case law courts should stand by their own previous decisions. This even applied to the Law lords themselves until the Practice Direction of 1966 which allowed the Lords to depart from their own previous decisions "where it appears right to do so".

In Summary:

1. Any decision of the House of Lords is binding on all inferior courts.

2. Any decision of the Court of Appeal is binding on all inferior courts but not on the superior court (In this case the HOL)

3. Any decision of the High Court is binding on all inferior courts (but not on the CoA or the HOL)

4. Any county court decision is merely persuasive rather than binding precedent. County court decisions do not bind other or even the same county court.

Hope that clarifies.

PS This site and its users are not in as much trouble as you suggest. The reason? We take the care to get things right.

Keep the faith. EiE.

Capstone Mortgage 'Services' - Sub-prime garbage - unlawful behaviour/MULTIPLE consumer abuse, TOTALLY in Defiance of REGULATIONS and the law

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/gmac_rfc.pdf

CONTACT CIB Here

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/Complaintformcib.Htm

Kevin Hughes(Compliance Manager-main) @ 02920 380 633

Lee Jenkins(prosecuting Amany Attia) 02920 380 643

Mark Youde(accounts compliance) 02920 380 955

Charlotte Allan @ 0207 596 6108 investigating all the Lehman lenders

Jeremy Pilcher 0207 637 6231

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

"We would not seek a battle, as we are; Nor, as we are, we say we will not shun it"

And who are you "A Barister"?

Not yet

Your inforamtion will be shockingly wrong if you continue and as you claim you want this site to remain with accurate information.

I'm sorry you feel this way, I'm not here to get into an argument with any of our users. As I mentioned I'm keen to ensure that the laypeople who use this site are aware of how the courts work and what could constitute a legal precedent

Any case brought before a court can use the merits of any case brought as long as the has similar facts.

That I fully understand, I also appreciate that the higher courts are not going to pay much attention to the happenings within the county courts.

I can see that you are more interested in discrediting people and it looks like you're more interested in a slanging match. Whats the problem are you jealous that I won and you had not thought of the idea?

I am pleased you have won your case. I have no interest in slanging matches.

Fact is no-one has taken there bank to court before for this type of claim.

I have and I won which must mean that I know something.

I'm not querying that you've won your case, I simply mentioned that a District Judges decision in a county court holds very little weight in the grand scheme of things.

Other peoples opinions, views and potential ramifications of Mcguiffick

Kraken1 and a few others who I believe have actually read the judgement and understand it like myself can see outside the box and are looking at the bigger picture.

As for those who slated me if you disagree with me and state that what I have said is rubbish please do the decent thing and back up what you say with reasoned arguments for why.

The Consumer Credit Act is not black and white there are many grey areas in between

Kraken1 I will get back to you with the paragraph relating to issue of proceedings not being enforcement

However logically the issue of proceedings can never be enforcement on the basis that if it was it would take away the lenders right to argue that the agreement was enforceable in a court of law.

Mickie x

Why have you failed to post that the McDuff case sets no precedent for 2 reasons....

1. Flaux himself stated the ruling on said case was no precedent and that each case will be viewed on its own merits.

2. THE AGREEMENT IN QUESTION WAS, I REPEAT, WAS ENFORCEABLE!!!

Lets rip apart a ruling based on an UNENFORCEABLE agreement or where a lender has just returned T&Cs with a blank application form as many are now.

Why is this issue being completely avoided by certain individual on here?

I personally had an egg agreement declared unenforcable in august via the help of a CMC.

So maybe so called sols on here are fishing for help, because i know the CMC i use is now being utlised by my friends and family and they recvd an update from the soliciotrs acting for said CMC and they knew exactly what they were talking about with regards to the McDuff case.

You would certainly not find them posting on a forum, too many jonny come lately so called solicitors around who have jumped off the conveyancing money train and on to the consumer credit law gravy train. They are a scurge, and actually help the lenders in an obscure way.

Good to have this fine thread back btw, not sure if many of you are aware that this was taken down last night for a few hours.

22 people on this thread!

Latest update: 26 (24 humans and two trolls:eek:)

The cag is busting at the seams! Hope they've got the servers in a cool place!:D

Keep the faith. EiE.

Capstone Mortgage 'Services' - Sub-prime garbage - unlawful behaviour/MULTIPLE consumer abuse, TOTALLY in Defiance of REGULATIONS and the law

CONTACT CIB Here

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

"We would not seek a battle, as we are; Nor, as we are, we say we will not shun it"

AS much as I read the judgement I can't see it being effected by whether the agreement was enforceable or not and ( paraphrasing in quoting) refers the act of enforcement being the judgement not the proceedings and the CRA reporting being a duty...

I agree that an unenforceable agreement where nothing was on file could result in something different as the duties would be contained within and therefore no agreement no duties

However an unenforceable agreement due to wrong T&Cs would still contain the rights and duties so would still fit the MuGuffick ruling...

IMHO......shoot me down....lol

Edited by B3rty
typo

Live Life-Debt Free

I am well aware that the agreement in question was enforceable as they had not disclosed the statement

Yes it didn't set a precedent and yes each case will be viewed on its merits (like every case that goes before the courts)

However the Mcguiffick decision does have its ramifications whether you like it or not.

Can I ask have you actually read the complete judgement and considered the ramifications or have you just focused on the fact that the agreement was enforceable and therefore not bothered to read the rest of it

AS much as I read the judgement I can't see it being effected by whether the agreement was enforceable or not and ( paraphrasing in quoting) refers the act of enforcement being the judgement not the proceedings and the CRA reporting being a duty...

I agree that an unenforceable agreement where nothing was on file could result in something different as the duties would be contained within and therefore no agreement no duties

However an unenforceable agreement due to wrong T&Cs would still contain the rights and duties so would still fit the MuGuffin ruling...

IMHO......shoot me down....lol

wrong T&Cs, maybe

in breach of correctly outlining consumer protections in the form of Prescribed terms and therefore unenforceable under sec 127(3)

i very much doubt it, read bennions views on this... btw.. he was the chap that wrote the original CCA of 1974.

Can I ask have you actually read the complete judgement and considered the ramifications or have you just focused on the fact that the agreement was enforceable and therefore not bothered to read the rest of it
;)

Live Life-Debt Free

I am well aware that the agreement in question was enforceable as they had not disclosed the statement

Yes it didn't set a precedent and yes each case will be viewed on its merits (like every case that goes before the courts)

However the Mcguiffick decision does have its ramifications whether you like it or not.

yes i have and can i ask how much conveynacing work you were doing last year?

or were you acting for a DCA?

No problem AC, The best thing to do is see the judgement when I receive it. I agree anyone is entitled to their opinion. But as for the "sequenci" statement I am of the opinion that he/she would sooner lower the opionion of me by posting something negative about me that could lower other people's of me unless his/her statment in itself is true, The only way of finding that out is by waiting for the judgement. What "sequenci" said could be seen as libel. sequenci worded his comment to indicate that my information is inaccurate and also referenced my job. because there is a case that can be verified and there is an injured party (me) I would expect that "sequenci" withdraw his statement and apologise.

The way you wrote yours I have no problems with at all

Fine Regards

SteEqWar

Just to make it quite clear, I am not taking any sides.

However, I am reminded of another case in which a CC judgement was obtained.

The question asked was:

can it be used as a precedent?

I replied:

Originally Posted by angry cat

No!

County Court.

But it happened.

AC"

One of the site team responded (along the lines of):

HHJ Langan QC,

it would be useful for other judges on the same circuit, to rely upon or follow.

yes i have and can i ask how much conveynacing work you were doing last year?

or were you acting for a DCA?

Ouch! It's getting very testy out there this morning. Think I'll go and make a nice cuppa:D

Keep the faith. EiE.

CONTACT CIB Here

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

Hello SteEqWar

Firstly may I congratulate you on your win. You have shown a clear determination to see this through and get the judgment that is fair and correct in all the circumstances of your case.

On precedent I am afraid you are wrong and I'm sorry that it has resulted in some exchanges in posts which are not in the spirit of this site.

The doctrine of precedence is governed by the doctrine of stare decisis et non quieta movere - meaning that in order to create consistency and certainty in case law courts should stand by their own previous decisions. This even applied to the Law lords themselves until the Practice Direction of 1966 which allowed the Lords to depart from their own previous decisions "where it appears right to do so".

In Summary:

1. Any decision of the House of Lords is binding on all inferior courts.

2. Any decision of the Court of Appeal is binding on all inferior courts but not on the superior court (In this case the HOL)

3. Any decision of the High Court is binding on all inferior courts (but not on the CoA or the HOL)

4. Any county court decision is merely persuasive rather than binding precedent. County court decisions do not bind other or even the same county court.

Hope that clarifies.

PS This site and its users are not in as much trouble as you suggest. The reason? We take the care to get things right.

Would you like to test this in a court? If you do I would sureley like to have the person defaming me . Contact details He can private message me with his/her details if he would like to put it to the test.

He attacked my qualifacations and my job.

Fact One I am qualified.

Fact Two it was not in the UK.

Fact Three. The Judge stated that the breach of contract that BOS did was binding on other courts. "Wait for the Judgement" I am assuming that his referenced other "District Judges" in relation to this and does culminate in a type of precidence.

Fact Four I am learning a lot of UK law.

I hope that you're prepared to be his witness.

As I said, The best thing to do is wait to see the "Judgement" For all I know the judge could be wrong but I am only stating his words.

As you say you take care to get things right. I would have reserved judgement on anyone quoting something similar until seeing the judgement. I think care is out of the equasion here and I can only view this site as web review lawyers. In essence people without qualifaction and who were not party to the case in question.

Basing information without the full curcumstances certainly puts you and others at a disadvantage.

Again the Judges words "that the breach of contract that Bank of Scotland did in this case did binding on other courts. I see this comment as a type of presidence. Dont you?

If I am wrong I would surely apologise. But I do not see as I am

Baggio..calm down a bit...I think we al know who Bennion is...I have actually corresponded with him on certain points as some of my threads will show...

I think its useful to have an open mind and try to understand both point of view in a legal argument then look at the law/case law to see which is the strongest

• Haha 1

Live Life-Debt Free

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks