Sure Start Maternity Grant Refused

nishi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive just received a letter saying that im not entitled to the sure start maternity grant, because

A) Im not in receipt of JSA or any other kind of benefit

B) I claimed too early

The thing is, Ive been on JSA for the past 12 weeks, up unitl last tuesday, when I went in for my "interview" to see why i wasnt getting a job. The woman there said I was to stop claiming JSA becasue Id sent my forms off for the maternity allowance, and stated I wanted to start receiving the MA from this week onwards.

I can understand the claiming too early thing. I could cope with that. Cause Id just send another form off. But not being entitled to it, cause im not receiving the right benefit???? come on!!!

What am I supposed to do now? I was realying on that money to get baby things. Now Im buggered!!! Its lucky that the pram is being bought by my MIL and the cot is being bought by my mum!!!

It would depend on two things. First, what type of JSA you receive, If you receive contributions based, you are not entitled to the Sure Start Maternity Grant. If you receive Income based JSA then you would be entitled.

However, the 2nd thing is you have to have been receiving the qualifying benefit on the date the maternity grant claim was received in the JCP office. This is known as your "date of claim"

Lastly, you may be being paid JSA clerically, in which case it may or may not show up on the computer system that you are receiving this benefit. This is because Social Fund employees do not have the full access to benefit system as the employees in the benefit offices, they have basic access. Or it could simply be an oversight on their part. Either way as you claimed too early you would not have received the Sure Start this time around.

If I have read that wrong and you are saying you are receiving maternity allowance, maternity allowance is not a qualifying benefit for the Sure Start.

The prescribed time period for claiming the Sure Start is anytime between 11 weeks before your expected due date up until 3 months after the birth of your baby.

If you were within that time period and receiving a qualifying benefit when you claimed, then you can ask them to reconsider their decision.

The regulations are here: The Social Fund Maternity and Funeral Expenses (General) Regulations 2005

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)