• Tweets

• I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclycard, Barclays joint bank, Barclays mortgage?

catuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all and can I say what a revelation this site is.

If I may I'd like to ask a question about credit card debt.

I have a Barclays joint mortgage with my partner, Barclays joint bank account with my partner (usually no more than £100 in it) and Barclaycard credit card in my name (owing £2600 at present). Now I'm up to date with all the payments but wanted to know if I sent the template (about the original signed aggreement for the credit card) am I walking on thin ice in respect of the mortgage and bank account being with Barclays? Would they suddenly demand that I pay all the mortgage etc so they can "fire" me as a customer?

From reading some of the info here should I acquire a different bank account before commencing or is the Barclaycard a seperate business in relation to our Barclays bank/mortgage?

Could someone please also let me know at what definitive point it is safe to stop the direct debit; ie: 12+2 days after the initial CCA aggreement request?

I was recently made redundant and am literally just keeping our heads above the water paying bills etc on benefits and the money saved from the credit card payment would help a little.

Hope I've explained my quandry and would really appreciate any advice

Thanks, chris.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Catuk and welcome to CAG.

Barclays don't have a bad reputation for retaliation.

If you send BC a CCA request, they WILL reduce your credit limit to around the £2,600 level to prevent you spending further. This is them stopping you increasing your debt in case you try to "ditch" it if they have no credit agreement.

They would not try to "fire" you re the bank a/c or the mortgage, as long as both are run properly.

But if you stop paying the BC a/c, they WILL take pay'ts from the bank a/c. So setting up a parachute bank a/c will be necessary if you want to reduce the BC payments.

Be assured, Barclaycard and Barclays are very much linked and will interact, with or without your permission. This is known as the "right to set-off". All the banks do it with their own bank and CCard a/c's.

If BC fail to send your credit agreement within 12+2 working days, you can stop payment.

In fact, in response to your CCA request, they'll send you a set of T&C's saying they've fulfilled their obligations.

You can send the CCA request as soon as you want, but keep paying the BC a/c until you have the B's bank a/c safely placed elsewhere.

Read threads in the BC forum to get a feel for what's going on at the mo. You'll learn loads. :)

Also see Letters A to G here which you could use due to your circumstances - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Be aware that BC are hard-nosed in their approach to claims of hardship. :(

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi DD,

I actually said they DON'T retaliate, but they do react in certain ways.

If you have info that they DO retaliate, it would be useful if you post on thread if you can, instead of by PM.

Thanks. :)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks slick132 and DD, as I'm on JSA at moment have you any ideas about which banks etc are likely to let me open an account without being employed at present? It's just I've heard stories of people having difficulty doing so.

One other thing "this will sound corny to some-apologies", the limit on the Barclaycard is 3,600; would it be unwise/foolish to do a big foodshop one more time/tax the car and then stop using the card or?

Thanks,chris.

I'm so sorry, Slick. I misread it.

I'm not going to put on the thread how they retaliated, but I'll pm you too, and I'm happy for you to post about it on other threads if you ever feel you need to. I just think it makes me identifiable - and we do know for sure that barclaycard watches this site. :eek:

DD

Hi Catuk,

Surely it would be morally wrong to have a spending spree, for daily goods or luxuries, in the hope that you can ditch the debt.

Until you KNOW.......

1. That BC do not have an enforceable credit agreement, and

2. A court has ruled that any such agreement is unenforceable......

.....you should assume that all spending on the account will have to be repaid.

Edited by slick132
typo

Hi DD,

Read your PM but not convinced Barclays acted in a retaliatory manner.

Good to have your balanced input though. :)

Hi slick/DD, I understand the thought "spending spree" but it's truely not what I'm about.

I've now secured a new bank account which was my first step.

Gonna be an interesting few days moving directdebits and benefits from old bank to new one and try to make sure there's enough money to cover the bills.

I've just gone through slicks link2 thread "48 pages one" and have this one question after trying to absorb the lengthy discussion posts?

Do I next do a: request CCA declaration under S142(1) CCA 1974

or b: CPR pt 31.14 not 31.16

Thanks chris.

Hi Catuk,

Glad you got new a/c sorted.

Start with Letter N from here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

This is the CCA request. When they send you just T&C's or fail to respond, then you can start on the CPR strategy.

:)

Continue as normal - we've yet to see how far this Stay will go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, in refrerence to sending off the initial CCA request which I understand negates BC just sending back the T&Cs and not the original CCA signed by both parties; I came across the following on getoutofdebtfree.org

They suggest sending three letters,10 days apart and they are as follows.Could someone comment on these as I'm again unsure whether to firstly request CCA and then CPR pt 31.14 not 31.16.

LETTER ONE

Your Address

Your Post Code

Name of Chief Executive Officer

Their Address

Their Post Code

CC: Contact Name Collections Department

Today’s Date

Re: Account/Credit Card Number: 123456789

Dear Mr/Ms Second Name of Chief Executive Officer

I would be happy to settle any financial obligation I might lawfully owe, as soon as I have received the following documentation from you:

1. Validation of the debt (the actual accounting);

2. Verification of your claim against me (a sworn affidavit or a hand signed invoice in accordance with The Bills of Exchange Act 1882

3. A copy of the contract signed by both parties and therefore binding both parties.

I hereby give you ten (10) days to reply to this notice from the above date with a notice sent using recorded post and signed under full commercial liability and penalties of perjury, assuring and promising me that all of the replies and details given to the above requests are true and without deception, fraud or mischief. Your said failure to provide the aforementioned documentation within ten (10) days, from the above date, to validate the debt, will constitute your agreement to the following terms:

1. That the debt did not exist in the first place;

OR

2. It has already been paid in full;

AND

3. That any damages I suffer, you will be held culpable;

4. That any negative remarks made to a credit reference agency will be removed;

5. You will no longer pursue this matter any further.

Please Note: I wish to deal with this matter in writing and I do not give your organisation permission to contact me by telephone. Should it do so, I must warn you that the calls could constitute ‘harassment’ and I may take action under Section 1 of The Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Yours sincerely

Your Signature

By: First-Name/s: Familyname (John-Arthur: Smith); Authorised Representative

No assured value, No liability. All Rights Reserved.

LETTER TWO

Your Address

Your Address

Your Post Code

Their Address

Their Post Code

CC: Contact Name; Collections Department

Today’s Date

I wrote to you on Date of last letter requesting the following documentation, so that I may settle any financial obligation I might lawfully owe:

2. Verification of your claim against me (a sworn affidavit or a hand signed invoice in accordance with The Bills of Exchange Act 1882);

3. A copy of the contract signed by both parties and therefore binding both parties.

As you have failed to provide the aforementioned documentation to validate your claim, I hereby give you ten (10) days to reply to this notice from the above date with a notice sent using recorded post and signed under full commercial liability and penalties of perjury, assuring and promising me that all of the replies and details given to the above requests are true and without deception, fraud or mischief. Your said failure to provide the aforementioned documentation within ten (10) days, from the above date, to validate the debt, will constitute your agreement to the following terms:

OR

AND

Yours sincerely

Your Signature

By: First-Name/s: Familyname (John-Arthur: Smith) ;Authorised Representative

LETTER THREE

Your Address

Your Address

Your Post Code

Their Address

Their Post Code

CC: Contact Name; Collections Department

Today’s Date

I wrote to you on Date of last letter requesting the following documentation, so that I may settle any financial obligation I might lawfully owe:

2. Verification of your claim against me (a sworn affidavit or a hand signed invoice in accordance with The Bills of Exchange Act 1882;

As you have failed to provide the aforementioned documentation to validate the claim within the ten (10) days requested in my last correspondence, we are now in agreement to and have a lawfully binding tacit contract, comprising, the following terms:

OR

AND

Yours sincerely

Your Signature

By:First-Name/s: Familyname (John-Arthur: Smith); Authorised Representative

Edited by catuk

Hi CatUK,

My advice above stands - start with CCA request (Letter N from link).

When they fail to produce the credit agreement in response, start the CPR route which relates to CPR 31.16.

Action under CPR 31.14 would be innappropriate at this stage of your case.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

just recieved the CCA this morning. Same as everyone else's, it's the Barclaycard Conditions. And it's plainly a photocopy. "This completes our obligation to you under Section 78" was on the last sheet. As it's not the true signed agreement, am I right in now cancelling the DD on my card?

This was on one of the photocopies:-

02/04-08/04

Executive Agreements for

Gold Mastercard

Graduate Visa

IBCM Gold,IBCM Platinum

IBCM Visa

Platinum Mastercard

Stockton Mastercard

Student Mastercard

If you want to withhold payment now, you could do so. Start on the CPR route as per my post #15.

BC will maintain that you have no grounds to do this and that they've fully complied with their obligations. They and/or Mercers will start calling you seeking payment.

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

The Consumer Forums - Harassment

We were also in a similar situation with several accounts with barclays. After we sent a CCA request for one of the loans our current account was terminated approx 2 months later!

Yet they're still sending us notice of reserve fees etc!!

Halifax Current Account £1583 WON 2007:)

Egg Credit Card £1822 WON 2008:)

BarclayCard £982 WON 2008:)

Natwest Current Account £2133 WON 2006:)

IF Accounts £1728 WON 2007:)[/size]

MBNA CCA request sent 10.2.09

BarclayCard CCA request 10.2.09

Barclays Bank SAR 16.2.09[/size]

Let the games continue...:D

I opened up a new account elsewhere as advised by the good folk on here;my bank account with Berkleys is still active but there's not a lot of coinage in there. Time consuming part was moving all the DDs etc to the new account.

To slick and you other wizards of response;

First letter requesting CCA sent and they sent me the T&Cs within about a week.

I've now cancelled my DD for BC and I dont need to use my BC account as I opened a new one elsewhere. I've received the usual T&Cs (one at moment). My next BC DD is due around the first week in July; when this obviously isn't paid because I dont have any money in there, how long before BC send me a letter and upon such letter could someone recommend an appropiate response letter please?

Thanks catuk

Hi Cat,

As soon as you miss a pay't, they'll be on to you with letters and calls.

Just a thought - be careful if you have a Barclays bank a/c. They'll dip into this and take missed pay'ts using the "Right of Offset".

If necessary, open a bank a/c elsewhere.

You'll find the letters to use here in the BC forum as and when required. :-)

slick,

Should I close my Barclays BA completely? I've opened another account elsewhere so dont need the Barclays one. I ask because there's next to nothing in there although there is a £100 overdraft available on it. Does that mean when my next payment isn't paid they'll take it out of the B A because of the £100 overdraft available and push it into the red?

Thankyou.

Hi Cat,

I'm not sure if they'd put you into o/d by taking a BC pay't but it's not worth the risk.

If you don't need the a/c, close it. They would certainly take any credit balance from the bank a/c if you paid anything into it.

:)