compenstion from death of mother

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

can anyone please help or advise me? my mother returned from her holiday in tunisia with salmonella, and heartbroken to say passed away from this holiday illness. I have emailed Thomas Cook customer relations with all the details and exerts from her diary she has religiously kept from her early years! The diary states when she started to feel ill till unfrotunately the night before she was admitted to A&E. Thomas cook have sent an email back just to confirm receipt but advised would receive a written letter from them within 7 days!! this was over 3 weeks ago, my mother passed away 31st march, aged 66. Who should i go to now, does anyone think i have a case for compensation at least an apology would have been nice?

Hi,

Sorry to here of your tragic loss.

I would guess it would depend where your mother unfortunately caught the salmonella. The EHO should be able to tell you the type of salmonella it is and give you an idea where it came from.

If she stayed at an all inclusive accomodation then chances are she would have stayed on site and caught it there then you should have a good case.

I would strongly think about contacting a solicitor and running it past them, we had to when my son caught salmoella on holiday last year as travel companies do not and will not admit liability. We are still waiting although we are expecting an outcome shortly, but yes I would get a good solicitor that deals with holiday illnesses.

I have heard these are quite good but have had no personal dealings

http://www.pannone.com/personal-injury-solicitor/holiday-accident-claims.asp

My YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Joint YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

My FD account: Settled

Wifes FD account: Settled

I suspect that it will be extremely difficult to prove that the tour operator was to blame for a salmonella infection. You would have to prove the source of the infection. Since foodborne infections of this sort rarely affect only one person, other holidaymakers may also have been affected, which might make things easier. If a hotel was involved the public health authorities may have been involved.

It would be useful to know what is stated on the certificate as the cause of death, whether this was confirmed by post-mortem examination, and which strain of salmonella was isolated (there are many types).

thanks for comments so far, there will be an inquest soon, coroner has advised was salmonella definite cause of death. my mother always kept a diary which the coroners office have now got, it mentions dates of complaints of luke warm food being served for which restaurant manager brought into restuarant, a microwave to reheat food and that she spent 9 days out of 14 in her room in bed? i will definitely seek advice through a solicitor and i can say regarding a single instance of salmonella, my 3 year old daughter out of a party of 8 of us was the only one to contract salmonella on a holiday 8 years ago! so i know it can happen, thanks again, think i'm in for a long haul!

I agree with SP.

Salmonella can be contracted from many different sources, there is nothing to say that she contracted it from the hotel food. Water, faeces, even reptiles and tortoises, you name it... In a place like Tunisia, she could have caught anywhere, and I doubt very much that you'll get an apology, let alone compensation for something for which it is highly unlikely the tour op is responsible.

At times of grief, it is natural to look for someone to blame, but often it is a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. :-(

I have to say my son caught Salmonella on holiday last year, he was the only one in a party of 7, we where in an all inclusive holiday village and didn't leave it so it is the tour operators fault. If your mother was in bed for 9 of the 14 days I suspect she didn't leave the complex.

There are different phage types of salmonella which will narrow down the source and believe me they can really narrow down where it came from, for example, with my son they narrowed it to an egg from a particular supplier.

Go to solicitors I am sure they will take it on because they will now that potentially it could be the tour operators negligence.

Keep going and good luck

My YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Joint YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

My FD account: Settled

Wifes FD account: Settled