• Tweets

• No response? We can only assume your outburst of apparent EU prejudice is unreasoned or at least so badly excused it would fall apart at first glance.   We are clearly poles apart given you seem to be a Trump supporter, climate science denier and soundbite brexiter .. for whatever 'reasons, but perhaps we can agree on something that seems quite basic to me   Perhaps you could tell us whether you signed the petition to feed children in support of Marcus Rashfords campaign? or are you more in support of Steve Bakers view that it would break the UK economy    
    • I think I'd be careful about telephoning them. I can imagine that people would be quite anxious and imagine that there is something going on. Although it's probably a lot of work, I think I would consider visiting at least a sample of your list. What would be interesting of course would be to get round to seeing half a dozen people and seeing what happened. If you found that none of them had taken any further than you might want to try another half a dozen and then give up. On the other hand, if, say, 50% – you choose – had taken it further then consider that it is worth your while spending more time visiting more people. If you do an SAR and then compare the results of the SAR with your findings – you might find a big discrepancy and good evidence that you are being ripped off. This would give you a very powerful case and of course we will help you to maximise it. I think the point of this is that you need to carry out some careful research, careful preparation, careful information gathering so that you have got a watertight case in order to pursue it as effectively as possible if your suspicions turn out to be correct.
    • Hi Andy,   Thank you for your message. I was just about to post a message regarding the latest developments so your note is very timely   Regarding latest developments the following is the situation   Dear All,   1. We received a notice from CEL that because they have discontinued their claim, they consider the matter is now closed as we have not submitted our counter claim, However, my wife replied to the email that the Counter Claim was attached to the Defence Documents which was submiteed and copied to them.   In any event they knew that there is a Counter Claim because they asked us to drop it within 7 days and then they offered to pay our court fee only. !!   2. Firstly, there is an issue here. CEL submitted their notice of discontinuance 2 days after the deadline for their court fees to be paid. And also, as far as we are aware, they have not paid their court fees.   3. Surely their case should be struck out by the court for this failure to pay their fees on time - irrespective of their submission of the Notice of Discontinuance two days after the deadline date which they obviously made after the receipt of the Defence Documents.   4. As for their comment that we have not submitted our counter claim, this is definitely not the case as we made the Couter Claim and submitted this when we replied to their writ. So, as far as we are concerned, the counter claim is still very valid   5. As we are within our 28 days limitation, we have not advised the court whether we are accepting their notice of discontinuance or not. We acknowledged its receipt only. We have submited the Case Plan to the court today.   6. Although it was not stated that we have to copy CEL, we are copying them anyway   7. As advised earlier to CAG we will follow CAG’s advice but we will action this before the hearing date   8. However having had the latest advice from Andy,  a. should we add the GDPR claim as an additional claim, and b. should we add the County Council as an additional party to the counter claim as previously advised.     thank you Warm regards BF      
    • Not usually, I'm afraid, it tends to confuse things and we like people to stick to one thread per issue. If you aren't getting replies as quickly as you like, it could be that you're asking about complex issues that not all that many people have experience of and will need to be patient until they can get here to answer you.   I'll merge your threads.   HB
    • yes we already have that its here in this thread    follow my search advice as earlier read other threads here on CAG      
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4185 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

Cap quest reckon that they have bought a debt off of the bank of Scotland with regards a sterling visa card I had, now this card was paid of in 2006 with which I have sent them proof but they reckon it's not good enough. They have also put a default on my credit file reference this so called debt, so I sent off a CCA request on the 8th of Apr, got a reply from them dated the 9 th of APR a week later saying the account was on hold for 28 days while they obtain the information and asking that I send them further proof of payments and correspondence. What is the actual time limit for them to send me this information?

Thanks in Advance

12+2 working days, however they are under the impression they get another 30 days making 42 total (WRONG)

I'm in a similar battle to you here:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/193800-capquest-cca-request-response.html

Morph

Thanks for the reply. Exactly the same letter that thay sent me, should I now do the same and send of the account in dispute letter. Also does anyone know what I can do about the default they have put on my credit file.

You can send the dispute letter as soon as their 12 + 2 days are up (which they are).

As for the default - write to the CRA's sending them the proof that this alleged debt has been in full!

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

Their 12+2 was up on the 29th I think, so you may as well send the "in dispute" letter just so they can incriminate themselves with a "42 Days" letter.

Morph

Your guess is as good as mine as to what you'll get, you can see what they sent me in my link above but that was for a Halifax CC.

Might be worth searching the forum for "Bank Of Scotland CCA" & see what people have or havn't received.

Morph

If you remove all identifying details then scan and post what you get, if you get anything, on here and those more knowledgeable will let you have their definitive opinions, and advise the next step.

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Here is a nice response to their silly idea that they have 42 days. I gave it to someone to use against the Leeds losers so change it to suit your dealings with Crapquest

Dear Ms Swallow

Thank you for your rather silly letter. You are in fact mistaken in your misguided response to my CCA request. As a Credit Professional belonging to a company who are members of the CSA I would have thought that you would be au fait with current legislation. You are sadly mistaken in you opinion that you have more than 12 working days to comply with my legal request and I suggest you contact a solicitor for Legal advice (I would not recommend your in house team of Hampton Legal).

On this occasion I will put your response down to mere stupidity rather than a deliberate attempt to deceive which as you know would be a clear breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, The CSA Code as well as the OFT Guidelines on the Collection of Debt.

Actually I think I will report the matter to the OFT as it would appear the lack of knowledge the Consumer Credit Act would indicate perhaps that the Lowell Group are not fit to hold a Consumer Credit Licence.

You cannot pretend that you were not aware of the change in Legislation as it has been pointed out to you numerous times by members of the Consumer Action Group.

Infact I dont even know why you bothered sending you silly letter to me when you know as well as I do that Capital One will be unable to produce anything remotely resembling a properly executed CCA Agreement.

So why waste my time and yours by pretending otherwise.

yours etc

I got the same letter from Crap Quest too. I will use your excellent letter ODC lol. :D

Check out the threads below for updates on the DCA's that I am dealing with.

GE Money/CL Finance/Howard Cohen & Co - AND - Aktiv Kapital/Appleton Massey Solicitors - IN COURT

Cabot x 2 for Vanquis & Hitatchi - DEFAULTED ON CCA REQUEST

Lowell for Capital One - CANCELLED DEBT!! Trying to get Default removed now

Moorcroft x 2 for Halifax Loan & Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Wescot for Halifax Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Cap Quest for Argos Card - RETURNED TO ARGOS

LOL excellent letter :)

And is that name FOR REAL??? SAMANTHA SWALLOW???!!!!

Did they get that from a card in a phone box???

Dear me!

Elsa x

PLEASE NOTE... I AM MOST SORRY BUT I HAVE VERY LIMITED AVAILABILITY AT THE MOMENT DUE TO EXTREME PRESSURE OF WORK - IF YOU REQUIRE URGENT HELP ON YOUR THREAD AND ARE GETTING NO RESPONSE PLEASE HIT THE TRIANGLE FOR SITE TEAM ASSISTANCE. ELSA XXX

Please check out my BLOG for the quick guide to debt threats - it has all the info & letter template links you need to get started on your journey of TAKING CONTROL. :roll:

All opinions are my own based on research. I am not legally qualified, if in doubt please consult a legal expert.

Hope this has helped or made you smile. Keep your chin up, you're among friends now! Elsa xxx

Please click the *star* of any CAG member who has helped you .

Doh!!! Thought I had paid this debt of in 2006 with a debt company I was with. Used my redundancy money to pay of a number of creditors with this debt company and paid them a nice sum for doing so, now I have had my cca back from capquest and it looks as if they paid this debt short by £72, moved after I had paid this so recieved no letters stating this was still due. Looks like they sent through the proper docs as well, will try and post them up here just to make sure. A well you cant win them all, thanks for all who took time to reply and best regards for the future.

Just as a matter of interest, are their any fees and charges on that account which you could re-claim? they may actually end up owing you more than you owe them!

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Good point arrassed Senior.

Might be worth firing off a Subject Access Request to them Silverfox

Elsa x

PLEASE NOTE... I AM MOST SORRY BUT I HAVE VERY LIMITED AVAILABILITY AT THE MOMENT DUE TO EXTREME PRESSURE OF WORK - IF YOU REQUIRE URGENT HELP ON YOUR THREAD AND ARE GETTING NO RESPONSE PLEASE HIT THE TRIANGLE FOR SITE TEAM ASSISTANCE. ELSA XXX

Please check out my BLOG for the quick guide to debt threats - it has all the info & letter template links you need to get started on your journey of TAKING CONTROL. :roll:

All opinions are my own based on research. I am not legally qualified, if in doubt please consult a legal expert.

Hope this has helped or made you smile. Keep your chin up, you're among friends now! Elsa xxx

Hi Silverfox,

A Subject Access Request is for all the data they hold on you, most significantly all your statements for up to 6 years. The aim is to calculate all the penalty charges (late payment fees etc, not interest) and claim them back..which could mean they owe you if there's been many.

Template here:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca.html

Enclose a £10 Postal Order and send recorded. They have 40 + 2 days to comply.

Hope this helps,:)

Elsa x

PS I'll leave one of the CCA experts to comment on your form.

Elsa x

I have had a look and I would have to say this is 100% unenforceable. They have sent you a copy of your application form which contains NO prescribed terms whatsoever. Send them this letter to firmly put this into dispute:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT

Dear Sir/Madam

RE: Agreement/Account number

Thank you for your response to my letter dated xxxxxx 2009, making a formal request for a true copy of the original credit agreement for the above account under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77-79).

The documents you supplied me appear to be no more than an application form, and as such are not a satisfactory response to my request. Nowhere on the front of the document is there any reference to the prescribed terms and conditions that such an agreement must contain. I must assume that these are unconnected documents and once again inadequate to satisfy your obligations.

As you are aware you are obliged to provide me with a true copy of my agreement as defined under Section 189 of the CCA 1974. and I consider that you have failed to comply with my request for these documents

Under the terms of the above Act, a creditor has 12 working days to provide the requested documents. This deadline has now passed and I have not received the requested documents from you.

As I am sure you are aware, an agreement that does not contain all of the prescribed terms, and/or is not signed by the debtor, is completely unenforceable & I therefore consider that this account is in dispute with immediate effect & it follows that all payments to this account are suspended forthwith.

I draw your attention to the legal requirement that a creditor is not permitted to take any action against an account whilst it remains in dispute. The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and therefore the following applies:

You must not demand any payment on this account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

You must not add any further interest or charges to this account.

You must not pass this account to any third party.

You must not register any information in respect of this account with any of the credit reference agencies.

You must not issue a default notice on this account

I hereby give you notice that if you proceed with any of the above actions, I will file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service.

Yours faithfully

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

Thanks for your reply Elsa, They have sent all the statements on the account for the last 10 years thats how I had found out the mistake on the final payment by the debt company so looks like I have saved myself £10. will work my way through them and add it all up, or would it be worth sending one off anyways, to give me that extra bit breathing space to get the money together if it is enforceable.

See my post above ;)

Hi Clemma, trying to scan on other bits they sent, having probs at the mo. They have also sent a 4 page doc which says is a copy of your agreement, it has on it key financial information, other financial information and parties to this agreement and other terms and conditions, will hopefully get it up here soonest so you can have a look.

If you have not signed it, then it makes no difference. There is nothing on the application form that refers to terms and conditions. But scan them up anyway.