style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The new neighbours who have moved in, following the eviction of the ****** druggy who used to live below us, are seriously doing my head in.

They are a couple with a 1 year old kid.

And they smoke pot (the mother told me when I first met her).

And they play their music louder than the previous tenant did.

And they're already coming round to me to bum fags and money. I wouldn't mind if it was sugar or something you would expect to be short in supply of when moving in.

And they're shoving all their rubbish into the side garden path.

How / why do people live like that? Smoking drugs in the same house that your kid lives in?

Am I being unreasonable?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do but to be honest I dont want to appear to be a busybody.

I know the walls of the house are quite thin so I do tolerate some noise.

Would you report it?

If they have a 1 year old and play music loudly alot, where is the child when this is happening? and as for smoking drugs with a baby in the house, good god yes, they might be too thick to realise that this is not acceptable parenting and can be very harmful.

I have to say that yes, I would report it, anonymously of course

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Dead right , i would report it. the last thing you want when you come home from work is music being played loud and the smell of stale rubbish wafting round the neighbourhood. I wouldnt hesitate as im sure your neighbour wouldnt if the boot was on the other foot.

You have my every sympathy, Gyz.

Just getting over 7 months of hell. It's bloomin' awful, you know what the right thing to do is, but if you're anything like me, well, I didn't want to rock the boat and kept even quieter. :-| It's easy to know what to do, but the reality of the situation is often not so easy.

Don't give them nothing! They'll keep coming back. Let me guess, they absolute low-life pillocks.

I came across this site after he moved out, might be worth a read.

Neighbours From Hell in Britain

Oh I've been on NFH before.

Not giving them anything and they have not been back since.

Just been down to ask them to turn the music down and she was ever so sorry - said thanks for knocking (as opposed to, I presume, simply reporting to the council?).

The rubbish they are dumping is things like cardboard boxes - it's unsightly more than anything. Mind you, I'm STILL waiting for the council to move the rubbish from the last tenant which has been dumped in the same place.

And hopefully, with huge emphasis on hope, I'll be out of here in a couple of months if these job interviews keep coming - either that or a car so I can go out places.

That's it. I've had enough.

Not only have they decided to discard more rubbish (some on my own doorstep) they have also put their music on again - I can make out the words.

An email to the council and social services is on its way. I am not going to be held back by feeling of guilt. They're the ones causing the nuisance and they can deal with the consequences.

That's it. I've had enough.

Not only have they decided to discard more rubbish (some on my own doorstep) they have also put their music on again - I can make out the words.

An email to the council and social services is on its way. I am not going to be held back by feeling of guilt. They're the ones causing the nuisance and they can deal with the consequences.

If they're smoking pot in the same house as a 1 year old (tbh if they were just smoking full stop around a 1 year old) then there is no guilt involved - you're doing the right thing.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Sounds like you should contact social services and environmental health. Have you seen the baby?

Is this private or council accommodation - if council then surely you should report them to housing dept?

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Hi Gyzmo,

I feel so sorry for you. I had nightmare neighbours living above me. The owner spent most of her time at her boyfriend's and the flatmate was an absolute c** and accused me of making things up. She would crash in at four in the morning, put music on, crash up and down the stairs, and also put the washing machine on at 6.00 every morning after I said it was above my head and woke me. B****.

If that child is living with drug addicts it is not being unreasonable or a busybody to report them to social services. It is a matter of child protection. They may not even be bothering to feed their child properly - if they are trying to cadge money and fags off you, where is their money going?

A one year old baby should not be breathing in cigarette smoke or dope. He/she may well be lying in their own mess because they aren't spending enough money on nappies, and this could scar them for life. A baby should not be exposed to loud, blaring music either. Maybe they put it on loudly to drown out the crying?

If they aren't on the social services register they need to be. You really must report them for the sake of that baby. Social services will be discreet and won't say it comes from you.

Daniella

I'm not sure what's going on. Due to the think walls (and I think their laminate all over the floor) I can hear a lot - the baby's crying, the mother playing with baby (I think), vacuum cleaner, arguments, coughing and spluttering - everything. It's doing me nut in!

Yes, let Social Services know, in this day and age with the awful things that happen to nippers, its better safe than sorry. (Don't ring from your flat though - they'll hear you!)

Even if mum is using pot to deal with baby blues or something its not really on when she's responsible for children. It won't make her start acting like a raging looney, but she could easily fall asleep. Start a fire, child get into mischief unsupervised. You;d be helping her really if this is the case, SS can help her with her parenting skills.

Get Environmental Health on about the noise AND the rubbish, say you've been waiting for Housing to clear it and make out you've seen rats. That'll likely get some action.

A little tip I try, when neighbours upset each other with noise, I make the offending tenant put the music on at the level they would usually, and then make them come with me to the other property so that they can appreciate the din. Works a treat, you could try this yourself without involving the Housing Officer, but I understand if you don't want this person in your home. In that case just let EHO deal with it, she'll likely get a noise abatement notice, her HO will be informed, and she should get a NOSP as a warning shot. You'll have to keep a diary though, and have recording equipment installed. Although check what the out of hours service is - where I live they will come out personally anytime from 8pm Thursday through to 2am Sunday, best bet all round if they actually witness this.

I hope it gets sorted, it makes you downright miserable - I know - I have alkies living under me. I deal with them with a large yard broom - ask them to shut up, if they refuse I hit them with it. So piddled they can't see which of the many yardbrooms to grab to stop me whacking them! Don;t go doing something like that though will you? Me and him downstairs have an understanding - if he acts up I will too!

Brilliant advice, j

And when all else fails, there's the yard broom.... :D

I tried to rep you but apparently you can't do that in this forum. (Don't know why not?)

Daniella

You can't rep in Bear Garden. :Cry:

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

I'll second that rep.

I'm aware of the procedure for noisy neighbours - it was just a case of whether I should do it or not.

I've put up with noise for 2 years now - the last tenant nearly wrecked my degree with his music.

Besides, I think the job interview I had the other day went well, and if offered the job I wil have to move close to the workplace. Looking out for small and cheap detached properties!

I really hope you get the job and can move and get away from them, Gyzmo, but PLEASE do something about the baby. You'd never forgive yourself if these people appear in the national press one day with a damaged or dead child. As j says, it's not that they could be damaging the baby deliberately, they could be so doped up they start a fire, roll on the baby and suffocate him or her, anything. You won't be the only person who is aware of their lifestyle and social services won't drop you in it.

DD

• 3 weeks later...

Well they're at it again - playing music so loud I can hear the words and the floor is vibrating.

Called the HA and they said they will get an officer to speak to me. Err, why me I asked, when it is the neighbours making the noise. Oh they just want to get both sides of the story. Well so far they have had MY side TWICE, and all they need to do is send the local officer who is based 3 minutes away to listen. He seems happy enough coming round complaining about the front garden being overgrown and full of rubbish (which is from next door anyway and also from HA's work contractors PLUS i've already asked for them to move it).

I really am biting my lip here because the police will need to be here to stop me smashing their door down and trashing their stereo.:evil::evil::evil:

Oh, and why on earth the council think I am minded to look after the garden when every time I go out there there is the noise and all I can smell is drugs being smoked is beyond me. I'm not one for two wrongs making a right, but on this instance I think it is the only thing to do.

Gyzmo, this is a tad naughty, but really, it could be argued that a child is at risk here. Wait until you smell the waccy baccy, and the music is loud reasonably late at night, and call the police and tell them you are concerned about the child's welfare! There will also be a duty social worker who can be contacted via the out of hours council service or police, and they should be in a position to swoop immediately. Whole point of having an emergency social worker.

Your neighbours will get caught with their drawers down so to speak, and this should bring the drug misuse formally to the attention of the HA.

It will all then officially be documented, and you could then raise a greivance against your landlord for failure to ensure your peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your property. And then we'll all be happy that the baby is ok as well!