• Tweets

• and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”. The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses."   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
    • He asked for that one, didn't he?
    • Trump was unable to make it through the first day of court without falling asleep on Monday, which sparked a whole host of jokes, memes and even a new nickname, 'Dozy Don'    
    • The shift to card and contactless technology in the past decade has been rapid - not just in Britain, but in all sorts of remote pockets of the world. This is yet a further sign of it.View the full article
    • We both sent our completed N181 form to the court and claimants solicitors. We haven't received anything from the solicitors yet but perhaps we will today. How are directions agreed ? Does the claimant file proposed directions with their Directions Questionnaire ? I will update once anything is received from the solicitors.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ST1973 V Co-Operative (Smile bank)

St1973
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI,

Finally recieved a copy of my CCA from the Co-Operative/Smile today.

Original request was sent on the 4th Feb 09, with the subsequent reminders, as commonly produced on this board.

Yesterday this popped up.

I have also tasked a solicitor to review all my CCAs and take on any case whereby any findings will be posted on this bored as a thank you for your help.

The CCAs under review are;

Virgin/MBNA 2006

Cap1 - 1999

Egg - 1999

Smile/Co-Op 2001

Northern Rock - 2006

Any views on my smile CCA? I think its worthless!

SmileCCA.pdf

Edited by St1973

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have instructed a Solicitor to act on my behalf and this is what he has written to the Co-Operative regarding the above agreement

Your Debt Management Department has written to him requiring monies. In fact, Mr ******* had made a statutory request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to be supplied with a copy of the relevant executed agreement. The failure to provide this led to his complaint to you.

You have by letter dated 28th April 2009 provided to our client what is described as “copy of original credit agreement.”

What has been supplied is illegible. It does not appear to be a copy of the executed agreement, rather it appears to be a copy of an application form, but it is impossible to examine it.

Please forward to us a legible copy of the executed agreement.

We remind you that by virtue of Section 78(6) of the Act, any agreement remains unenforceable whilst there is a breach of the duty to provide. We would be grateful were you to inform your Debt Management Department of our request.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Co_operative have produced this response 10 weeks later with some Terms and conditions attached (seperate page)

Any views???

I am interested if anyone has any ideas how to respond. I havent informed the FOS as I did with Cap1 (They seemed to have cooled as a result). Co-Operative have also sent a Termination Notice (Attached also)

Coop Resp.pdf

Coop Term.pdf

1. In Did recieve one and I do not know if it was compliant!

2. No it does not, neither in the 'Signed agrrement, nor in the attached Terms and Conditions

Does the arguement "must be stated within the four corners' still apply?

I could do with some advice on a response to the C-Operative if possible?

cheers

I am sending this letter to theCo_Operatve as a response.

Any comments?

Cheers

Dear Sir/Madam

This account remains in dispute.

In May 2009 my solicitor wrote to you requesting that you supply me a true copy of the executed credit agreement for this account along with permission to supply such documentation to him.

In response to this request they were supplied a mere ‘application form’, signed and NOT containing the prescribed terms, which did not comply with the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

In June 2009, you were informed of this by my solicitor who requested that you comply with the act and not pursue the alleged debt. On 7th September you finally responded claiming that a separate sheet, containing the prescribed terms fulfilled your end of the agreement.

The documents sent purporting to be a credit agreement does not contain any of the prescribed terms, within the four corners of the signed agreement as required by section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) made under the authority of the "1974 Act" sets out what the prescribed terms are, I refer you to Schedule 6 Column 2 of SI 1983/1553

The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following--

1.Number of repayments;

2.Amount of repayments;

3.Frequency and timing of repayments;

4.Dates of repayments;

5.The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.

Since this document does not contain the required prescribed terms it is rendered unenforceable by s127 (3) consumer Credit Act 1974, which states

127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

This situation is backed by case law from the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (House of Lords) the highest court in the land. Your attention is drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the agreement cannot be enforced.

Further more, since the prescribed terms referred to above do not appear within the ‘Four Corners’ of the agreement you have supplied, the agreement is rendered totally unenforceable, as the prescribed terms must be contained within the signed agreement and not a separate document, case law confirms this opinion

I refer you to the judgment of TUCKEY LJ in the case of Wilson and another v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] EWCA Civ 299

"[11] Schedule 1 to the 1983 Regulations sets out the "information to be contained in documents embodying regulated

consumer credit agreements". Some of this information mirrors the terms prescribed by Sch 6, but some does not. Contrasting the provisions of the two schedules the Judge said:

"33 In my judgment the objective of Schedule 6 is to ensure that, as an inflexible condition of enforceability, certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement. Those minimum provisions combined with the requirement under s 61 that all the terms should be in a single document, and backed up by the provisions of section 127(3), ensure that these core terms are expressly set out in the agreement itself: they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated. As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them. On the other hand, they are basic provisions, and the only question for the court is whether they are, on a true construction, included in the agreement. More detailed requirements, which

are designed to ensure that the debtor is made aware, so far as possible, of specified information (including information contained in the

minimum terms) are to be found in Schedule 1."

Therefore the prescribed terms cannot be contained within a separate document outside of the signed agreement.

In addition should you continue to pursue me for this debt you will be in breach of the OFT guidelines, I draw your attention to the Office of Fair Trading’s guidance on debt collection

The OFT guidance which was issued July 2003 (updated December 2006) relating to debt collections and what the OFT considers unfair, I have enclosed an excerpt from page 5 of the guidance which states

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

h. Ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

As it stands, the document supplied you is not a valid credit agreement nor is it enforceable by any court

What I Require

Firstly, I require all correspondence in writing from here on; any persistent attempts to contact me by phone will be reported to Trading Standards, the Financial ombudsman service and the Office of Fair Trading. In addition I may report your conduct to the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Law Society. The financial Ombudsman Service has already been informed of this dispute.

I would like to draw your attention to the fact you do not hold a signed copy of a credit agreement containing the prescribed terms. Therefore the fact that you do not hold such document means that you cannot obtain an enforcement order in court. The case of Wilson-v-FCT sets this out as previously referred to above

However should you believe that you have grounds to enforce this agreement, please provide me with a signed copy of the credit agreement that you would consider relying upon? Should you ignore this request I will report you to the Office of Fair Trading to consider your suitability to hold a credit licence in addition to a complaint to Trading Standards, as you will be in breach of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40

The agreement you have supplied as it stands is unenforceable, should you be unable to produce a compliant agreement it would be in everyone’s interest to consider the matter closed and for you to write the debt off. I suggest you give serious consideration to this as any attempt of litigation will be vigorously defended and I will counter claim for all quantifiable damages. I respectfully request a response to this letter in 14 days

I trust this out lines the situation

Regards

Hi St1973.

I am having similar problems with the Frown (Smile) myslef. I am in a similar position to you.

They originally sent me a letter saying that they do not hold a copy of the agreement. Then when I stopped paying the account they proceeded to send me a blank copy of the document that you have scanned in. A silly question but was your document a copy of the original?

Did they send you a default notice? I was sent a default notice but they did not allow 14 days + 2 for postage. Perhaps this is something that you can pull them up on. My claim is now with one of the No Win No Fee CCA Claim firms now.

Good luck mate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been told by Smile to respond with a payment plan and that they have taken 271 pounds from another account I have with them towards the allleged debt. Can they do this if the debt is in dispute?

Have not seen the default notice, but I can tell you it will not comply because time and time again they get the dates wrong.

I have just had a third default notice from them on an account that is disputed and with the FOS. :eek:

So they have terminated the account on the back of a faulty Default Notice.

Nice One:D

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I have been told by Smile to respond with a payment plan and that they have taken 271 pounds from another account I have with them towards the allleged debt. Can they do this if the debt is in dispute?

This depends whether or not there are rights to offset moneys in the account Terms and Conditions.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

To stop them doing this in the future you need to take all funds out of that account and put it in another if you do not have another account open one any DD you have you will need to transfer these too same applies to any funds and/or benefits you have going in the co-op now only have regard to money you owe them not your priority payments PF

it will need to be an account not connected in any way to co-op/smile it is the only way you can get back control of your financies

Nope as the account is effectivly frozen while in dispute the question is do they reconise the account as disputed did you send the account in dispute letter? And was the funds they took benefits? PF