Is this legal?

Regulus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick question really, we had a statement form Nationwide today and they've hit us with 2 fees 'misuse of cheque guarentee card' for twice going over by around 50p. Each charge was £21.50.

Is that legal? Last I heard was that banks were told they couldn't charge anymore than £12 per charge on one statement and could only charge once per statement for the same type of charge. In other words they should only have charged me £12 once, not £21.50 twice.

Am I right or have I just imagined this?

Incidently, we've had 1 charge removed, but they have refused to remove the other. I wouldn't mind too much except with my being unemployed even the one charge of £21.50 is too much. Plus it was only 53p! I thought banks had a margin for error of a couple of pounds for things like this?

I would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. Thanks for your time :)

Unemployed for 225 days, 32 weeks. Here's praying I find work before 40 (at this rate before 40 years old, not 40 weeks :s)

vs Capital One: CCA req sent 6/7/09. No reply

vs LTSB Credit Car: CCA req sent 6/7/09. No reply

vs LTSB Loans: CCA req sent 6/7/09. No reply

vs Marehill Finance: CCA req sent 6/7/09. CA recieved 10/7/09

I would advise you to make a formal complaint to Nationwide Member Service. In my experience dealing with the bank charges, it used to be dealt with at the branch but now all decisions will have to be referred to the Member Service.

Remember they have computer systems running our accounts, and once the account goes overdrawn, then it automatically add charges.

Hope this helps?

It sounds like these are you first charges. If so you can try calling the bank, as most of the time they will refund first time ones as a gesture of goodwill.

It is always worth a try first.;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

there is no rule as far as I know about the number of charges that may or may not be placed on a single statement.

However these charges are unlawful and certainly it will be worth trying to talk to them to ask for them back but if they are resolute then begin the claim process and start to get them back through a formal complaint process -- best of all through the County Court