Letting Agent Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I moved out of my rented property in Edinburgh within Feb. It took a month to receive my deposit back from the letting agents and I feel some of the deductions were unfair. It works out they deducted 33% of the deposit. I have asked details to contact the landlord about this and they have avoided this at all times. Are the letting agents able to refuse this info or is it a must do?

The LL should have protected the deposit on your behalf to stop this sort of thing happening; suggest you read other threads about this. You can take him to court for the return of all your deposit plus 3X deposit as it was not protected.

The LL should have protected the deposit on your behalf to stop this sort of thing happening; suggest you read other threads about this. You can take him to court for the return of all your deposit plus 3X deposit as it was not protected.

Thanks very much for the pointer, I'll do my research on it.

How can you be sure that the letting agent didn't secure the deposit? It sounds like they have not returned it in full, but have failed to specify why. What does it say in your AST about the deposit - it will normally say where it is held. Did you not do an exit check out at the property? Was any damage done or cleaning required? Had you paid all the outstanding utility bills etc. I agree, the letting agent should be telling you why there have been deductions, but I wouldn't launch any court action just yet. Can you go into the agents and talk to them in person?

Talk about a kick in the **** Are the letting agents under some obligation or legislation to produce contact details for the landlords ?

I dont know is the answer. We commonly only get questions about AST (which are English/Welsh tenancy agreements), so maybe someone else can help (although as your query is urgent you might be better asking Shelter Shelter Scotland - The housing and homelessness charity ).

Good luck.