Exported Car

AJJH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I recently exported a car that had our cherished number on it. I was not aware of the dvla restriction that an exported car reg could not be retained, and I still dont know the reason. Although I sent the dvla documentaton that absolutly proved the exportation, including a statement by a UK JP that she had seen the car overseas, they still will not let me keep the reg that I paid good money for. Is there any appeal procedure? Any advice greatfully received

Hi I recently exported a car that had our cherished number on it. I was not aware of the dvla restriction that an exported car reg could not be retained, and I still dont know the reason. Although I sent the dvla documentaton that absolutly proved the exportation, including a statement by a UK JP that she had seen the car overseas, they still will not let me keep the reg that I paid good money for. Is there any appeal procedure? Any advice greatfully received

The problem is that for a cherished number to be retained/transferred, the vehicle must be taxed and tested and available for inspection if required. You must also be the RK (or the RK must sign the paperwork).

None of which is available in your as as the vehicle has been exported; and all your evidence reinforces that.

The only way AFAIK to get hold of your VRM is to re-import and re-register the car to yourself; retain the VRM and re-export

Thanks for your reply. I am the RK. I was then and the car is still registered in my name in Australia. The car tax and MOT were valid at the time of export, so the only requirement left is the need for inspection. I assume the reason for this is to prevent cloning? and by all common sense criteria I have proved the car is out of the country. Why are they so inflexible?

Thanks for your reply. I am the RK.

I was then and the car is still registered in my name in Australia.

Not with the DVLA you are not. It matters not a jot to them who is the RK wherever it is now.

The car tax and MOT were valid at the time of export
But no longer as there is no UK-registered car for them to apply to

so the only requirement left is the need for inspection.

No, you still fail to meet all the requirements.

I assume the reason for this is to prevent cloning? and by all common sense criteria I have proved the car is out of the country.
What you have proven is that the vehicle is no longer UK registered and therefore not compliant with the requirements for retention/transfer of VRM. VRM retention is only possible from a UK-registered vehicle.

Why are they so inflexible?
Because they are a large government agency who have regulations to follow with no scope for personal amendment of the same.

It is you, not the DVLA, who have failed to follow the requirements to retain your cherished number. It is now lost unless the vehicle is re-imported. (even then, I am not sure as the VRM is voided on scrap/permanent export)

It would seem obvious to me that anything that you wanted from the vehicle - including the VRM - should have been retained before it left the country.

Edited by patdavies

Why is VRM retention only possible from a uk registered vehicle. What difference does it make? I purchased use of the plate from DVLA. why cant i use it on my new car. I assume that you are with the dvla or were so you might know the reason for these silly rules

Why is VRM retention only possible from a uk registered vehicle.

Because

a) that's what the regs state, and

b) the DVLA has no remit over non-UK registered vehicle.

If you permanently export a car, it can usually be operated in the new location for a period of time on its UK registration plates (6 months in the EU). If the DVLA were to allow the transfer of you VRM, then that would leave the exported vehicle with the same VRM as the DVLA have no way of issuing a new VRM in a foreign country. If the new owner brought the car back to UK for a visit, then there would be two cars on the same VRM - now do you see why it matters?

What difference does it make? I purchased use of the plate from DVLA. why cant i use it on my new car.
Because the VRM has been permanently exported outwith the UK and now voided. As you say, you have only purchased the use of the VRM; it always remains the property of the DVLA and can be revoked by them at any time.

I assume that you are with the dvla or were so you might know the reason for these silly rules
Your assumption is wrong. I do not work, and have never worked, for the DVLA.

You have spectacularly failed to follow any of the rules for number transfer/retention and your cherished number is lost from the system, unless you bring the car back from Australia and re-tax it (even then I'm not sure that it would keep 'your' VRM)