• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mackenzie Hall. Do any of you know of them?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is turning into a Royal Rumble.....every 3 minutes, a new challenger enters. Nice post there, Wordsworth. Listen man, if anyone wants ta jump in with their little sarky [edit], then i'll respond back twice as sarky. My converastion with seminole was a decent one. [edit]. jump on that bandwagon, Carl..

You walked straight into what most people think of MH. I quess i touched on a note of truth otherwise you would not be so insulting, which shows the brain level of people employed by MH. Don't bother replying as i have no more to say to you. By the way i forgive you for the insulting behaviour you expressed.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

I received a letter from Mackenzie Hall in November, the letter was a reduced settlement offer. It says that I owed BT Cellnet £12420.87, this was the first letter I received from Mackenzie Hall, despite stating they have made repeated requests for payment. I have never had an account with BT Cell net and certainly do not owe anyone £12,420.87, I decided to ring them but kept getting voicemail.

I decided to call again, the first time I called I stated that I received a letter from them and I was put on hold before I could finish my sentence, the phone was then cut off. The second time I called I was asked for the reference number and put on hold straight away then cut off. The third time I called, I asked the lady to explain to me what the letter was regarding as there must be a huge mistake and said I want some answers otherwise I would be forwarding the letter to the Police. The lady then said;

' Don’t f**king tell me what to do, don’t be calling up threatening me, you better get a new attitude because I speak to you, I am not telling you anything' , she then hung up on me. I could not believe the attitude and manner the lady spoke to me.

I then searched on here and saw the other posts and just ignored it.

I then got another letter the other day saying HSBC debt and again it is a reduced settlement offer, which is a goodwill once only offer etc etc. Years ago an ex boyfriend took out a loan and I dont know if it has anything to do with him, its the only thing I can think of to do with HSBC I do not have an account with them, and have never recieved any letters from them until Mackenzie Hall. I find it all strange and distressing.

They dont know I called as I gave them no reference number

I told did a search on Google and found a lot of negative press on Mackenzie Hall, I also found out that the Office of Fair Trading is investigating them I sent all my documents into them, they are investigating them big time for a number of breaches and I signed a consent form so they could use my letter and info for evidence. All write to the Office of fair Trading and send your stuff the more complaints they have and can see it is widespread consumer detriment the balls will be rolling faster and hopefully sort Mackenzie Hall out once and for all.

Address;

Consumer Credit Debt Licensing Department

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Sailsbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

I am just going to see what happens, I reckon it is either statute barred or coming up to it as it was 2000-2001 cant remember and am not in contact with the ex anymore!!!

Hi Rubynicola,

Do you have any case reference number or anything like that for the OFTs case on MH. I'll like to complain about MH to the OFT as well as the trading standards. MH have been sending me letters for months claiming they were chasing up a few grand on behalf of Barclaycard which is a bit strange coz I've never had a Barclaycard and this is confirmed by Barclaycard themselves. Also Barclaycard has never heard of MH so it confirms that MH are a bunch of cowboys trying their luck.

So far I've reframed from even talking to them coz I know that I'll only lose my temper with these cowboys.

Quote:

Hi Rubynicola,

Do you have any case reference number or anything like that for the

OFTs case on MH. I'll like to complain about MH to the OFT as well as the

trading standards. MH have been sending me letters for months claiming

they were chasing up a few grand on behalf of Barclaycard which is a

bit strange coz I've never had a Barclaycard and this is confirmed by

Barclaycard themselves. Also Barclaycard has never heard of MH so it

confirms that MH are a bunch of cowboys trying their luck.

So far I've reframed from even talking to them coz I know that I'll

only lose my temper with these cowboys

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Have not got a reference, just send your complaint with all your details to the OFT and Trading standards.

Dont talk to them, your doing the right thing!!!

If i was you i would personally ignore these people MH and not waste another moment of your time. They will soon get tired and worry that they are spending too much time and money making phone calls and using stamps. Unfortunatley they will move onto the next vunerable person and try there luck. As everyone has said they are a bunch of cowboys trying to return to there childhood to play cowboys and indians. Were the indians and its a war they will not win.

Ignore, Ignore, Ignore.

dear seminole

your right in what your sayin with re. to stat barred. after 6 yrs, if thecompanies have not attempted to contact you with re. to outstanding debt, then it cannot go to court. however.....

pls bear in mind, if a company does not contact someone re. debt owed, ten 9 times out of 10 its because the debtor is unreachable (ie. moved away, not told companies of new address, or simply avioded payments and ignored letters), which is the reason companies like mine depend heavily on tracing systems. do you honestly think for 1 second that the original creditors are willing to just 'forget' debt owed to them, and brush itunder the carpet? THEY WOULD SELL IT TO A PARASITE LIKE YOU BEFORE IT HIT THE 6 YEAR STAGE.

secondly, by english law(different from scottish law) bailiffs WILL still come round to peoples doors to attain assetts to clear debt. as you rightfully said, after 6 years, debtors cannot have a CCJ against them, but please bear in mind that under english law, big skinhead tattooed men CAN and DO still come chapping. NONSENSE.

also, lets take Gaz's case for example. say he is totally innocent in this, for arguments sake. lets say that his wife ordered things from catalogues, the internet or such under his details. we pass cases like this to a fraud team, who thoroughly investigate (TOTAL AND UTTER NONSENSE ) - and cases like that are more common that you would believe - however, in MOST cases (and i mean the vast majority), these people have attained credit, whether it be cash, or goods, and dont pay. some people are 'professional debtors', racking up thousands upon thousands of pounds from creditors, and then dissapearing for a while. in cases like these, wouldnt you agree that they should get chased? i mean, is that fair?

like i said, if there are genuine cases (which i know from experience there are LOTS) where its mistaken identity, identity theft, or initial foul play by the original creditors, then my company DO help people out. i have had numerous letter of sincere thanks from people who have had identity theft cleared up (removing bad credit scores from their name), and even from people who have admitted not paying, and we have helped make a payment plan that suits them, allowing them to sleep at night again. SO....ACCEPTED INSTALMENTS BEFORE YOUR CLIENT REQUESTS THE ACCOUNT BACK THEN.

as for your suprise that i said we buy debt.....as far as im concerned, thats pretty much common knowledge for people who forum on a site like this...in fact, if u scroll up, youl see someone posting the same thing on the first few pages - thats how debt recovery agencies work. thats the way the industry works. you say this as if its illegal or immoral?

as for you suspicion of my claim that i work there.....well, not much really i can say to that. believe me if u want to...if u dont, then dont. either way it makes no difference to me. i have no reason to lie. your suspicion only solidifies my impression of the paraniod, conspiracy theorist attitude of a select number of posters on this site.

I BELIEVE YOU IF THAT HELPS MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.

Help - We stupidly responded to a letter from MH as we had previously been paying £10 a month to the previous owner of this debt (1st Credit I think), they have obviously sold the debt on to MH. MH said £10 is not enough and nor is the £250 in full and final one off payment (ok the debt is £2,500 but always worth a shot). I sent the email and previous payments have come out of my account although its hubby & his ex wife's old debt. He has not admitted liability as such as everything has been from me and only via email - where do we stand, I have emailed asking for sight of the original agreement etc. Should we just ignore them and hope they go away?, will they take the matter to court - should I set the dog on them if they call round to the house? :rolleyes: Any advice on how to deal with this mickey mouse company would be much appreciated - thanks - Duffers Mum :p

At the end of the day you can only pay what you can reasonably afford to pay. Even if you are taken to court and you present an accurate schedule of income and expenditure, the court will only order you to pay what you can afford. Debt buyers like MH work on the basis that they can intimidate and threaten you into paying more than you can afford.

Your best course of action (as you don't seem to dispute the debt) is to send them an income and expenditure schedule (there's a template in the Library) and pay them what it shows you can afford. If it's more than £10 then so be it. If it's less than £10 then tough on MH. If they want a review of the payment arrangement then they have to live with the consequences.

Finally, if they continue to harass you then you should report them to the relevant authorities.

Duffers Mum

If i were you I would just ignore them and don't give them a second thought. I have heard of no one going to court over not paying MH. I have also not heard of them visiting anyone unless someone on the site can say otherwise.

When they send you correspondence bin it and get on with your life. They contacted me and i ignored them and have heard no more. I would not give them the time of day.

gerarddobbin

Sorry to post in this long thread, i hope i can get an answer to this stressfull time im going through.

1. MH send me a redcard

2. i call them (DOH) and explain that its not me and not my debt.

to which the girl replies.. well i guess the debt is older than 5 years or so.. go think about it and call us back..

3. So i write to them and say its not me or my debt and to take me of the database.

4. over 2-3 mths goes by and NOTHING

5. I get a few varied letters not one of them explaining what is is or show proof of debt (each spread a few weeks apart).. all strong and over the top demanding payment.. so i ignore them. (As i guess they ignored my letter i sent them asking to be taken of their database)

6. latest letter is from.. MeritForce.. "authorised door collection" (that is run by .. MH lol) pay in 7 days or we send them around and if you dont pay or own up then.. we will take u to court (we wont write to u again)..

Also in that letter it includes a new name as a 2nd "client" 1stcredit (with an amount around £3500k).. so im guessing MH bought this?

Few things

1. anyone had MeritForce send "collectors" to their house ? If so (they are really taking the pee with this sort of self justified extortion tatctics) im asumming you tell or told them (with the bolt on the door and no windows etc open - so they cant gain "peacefull entry") get of my property or i will call the police, unless MH can SEND me proof in WRITING that its me or my debt (i forget the actual constitution).

IF they dont leave then tell them im phoning the police for harasment and phone my local bobby (police but not 999).

2. They have yet to send any proof that its me or even my debt.. or no signed cca etc.. even months after my letter to them. So do i send them the letter that is floating around on the forum and says the same in more legal terms ... Or having already sent them a letter do i contact a regulatory board or TS and complain? or both?

Meritforce do have doorstep collection staff but as they were based in the Northeast this activity was mostly confined to that area. MHall have taken them over so you may get a visit.

You don't need to speak to them if they do call round. You tell them to leave politely but firmly. They have no powers of entry and without a court order they have no powers to collecteither.

You say you have written to MHall. Was that the CCA letter with a £1 p order? If it was they are well and truly out of time on that and should be reported to the OFT, your local trading standards and the trading standards dept of East Ayrshire council.

No i just sent a registered post letter saying (along the lines of) its not me, or my debt please remove me from your database and dont contact me again.

But months later i still have no proof or reason (what, how, where, when) on why they are DEMANDING money

Well i live down south uk! but i dont know if they have "agents" down here.

Thanks btw for the fast response

Mutantx

Its really annoying to hear what you are going through and what you are putting up with. If you want my advice i would completely ignore them. Do not reply to any letters or to any phone calls. As for someone coming around to visit you at your home, i think that most unlikely.

I have had similar to yourself, threats of visit and letters and so forth. I ignored them and they soon got the message and i heard no more. Sometimes you can hear nothing for a year and then they try again. Just bin them and don't give it a second thought. I know it seems easy said then done but it was for me. Don't let these pharasite get to you okay. Good luck and start to enjoy your life and don't worry about these people. They come in all sorts of disguises. If you ever get a automated message phone call asking you to phone and quote a number they give just put the phone down. Don't even waste your time listening to the message. I would have contacted you earlier but had to wait until i was at work computer as i have not got one.

gerarddobbin

Thanks Gerarddobbin.

Well to cover all bases i have now sent them the cca letter. If i hear from these pirates again after the what 30 days? i will make them warrrk the plank !! (junk mail from them before this point will just be binned) and i will report them to TS etc..

Its shocking to hear in such a "regulated" industry these guys can duck and dive around the law like its a joke - and at the expense of others.

Mackenzie Hall, the worst bunch of Shysters ever!

Tried to collect an apparent barclaycard debt from my boyfriend by sending their stupid telegram messages and then become abusive down the phone when someone actually refuses to roll over for them!

Absolute bunch of souless b@stards if you ask me!

I received a couple of letters from MH just before Xmas - the first thing I did was to google them and was very lucky to come across this very useful thread.

I have just received a thid letter -from them now explaining that the alleged debt is re a student loan from the early 1990s (clearly statute barred). I have not contacted MH re these letters and have no plans to do so as yet, though I may well contact others in due course.

Anyway, I won't go into the details of their rather vile correspondence as they will be all too familiar to those of you posting to this thread. However I do want to share other aspects of my recent experience. MH have been writing to me at a slightly incorrect address (I live in a flat in London, let's call it The Basement Flat, 12, Any Street and they've been writing to met at just 12, Any Street which has a separate front door). Since MH started writing to me at this incorrect address I have begun to receive mailings from credit card and loan firms offering me various forms of credit. Yes. You guessed it: the mail has been sent to the same incorrect address. I'm very careful about opting out of all marketing options when signing up for any product or service, and even if I had let one slip through I doubt I'd have given an incorrect address for myself. All a strange coincidence?

Hmmm. I wouldn't want to make any allegations, however as a freelance consumer affairs journalist I'm finding the whole situation very, very interesting.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Finally, I'd like to re-iterate that I think this is a wonderful site and I've found all of the postings on MH very useful. It's really hearterning.

Good luck to all of you fighting injustice.

I have been dealing with MH since Dec 05

(bit of background...I and a boyfriend entered into joint IVA in 97 as a result of being young a foolish with money and then he got fired while I was on a minimum wage job and things just got out of hand - house respossed etc. My boyfriend and I split in 2000 and continued the IVA but unbeknownst to myself he had stopped paying (he advising the IVA company that we were simply making reduced payments!) In 2002 he did a moonlight flit to the states and so the IVA company had to default the agreement for both of us. I was advised to wait and see which of the debtors chose to chase up any outstanding debt.

MH got in touch in Dec 05 re a TSB debt which was a combination of credit cards that both I and my ex had had but had all been lumped into one as a result of the IVA. I have no problem paying debt that is mine and so agreed a payment plan with them (naturally a bit irked that I also have to pay my ex's debt too but I don't think I have can prove what is mine and what is his and they won't chase him in the States)

I have had nothing but grief and what I feel is harrasment. They are downright nasty on the phone - treating you like some sort of fraudster or petty criminal.

Only just today I got a letter advising me that I have defaulted on my repayments as they claim they did not receive the payment due 25th Jan 07. My bank statement says otherwise and this is actually a repeat of a situation back in July 06. Do these alleged defaults go against my already poor credit rating that I am trying to rebuild? Is this a tactic to make you feel so fed up that you take out a loan with some loan shark in order to pay them off and get rid of them?

Another of their disgusting tactics is leaving voice text messages. They have left them on my work phone (a number I have never give then permission to contact me on - I am assuming they have got it from some caller ID when I have had to ring them). My work number can be answered by any number of people in a 25+ office. I complained about it but they did it again! And yes, I have had many of their red cards asking me to ring - demanding that I had to increase my payments or further action would be taken. To be quite honest, I'd love them to if it will mean I have no further dealings with them!

Also, I am going on maternity leave in a few weeks - probably for 12 months. Naturally I will be earning less money during this time - especially the last 6 months as occupational maternity pay is only payable for the 1st 20 odd weeks. Where do I stand legally to request making lesser payments until I return to work?

Sorry this has gone on a bit. Thank you for letting me vent a bit and if anyone has any suggestions on how I can deal with them in the future I'd appreciate it.

Cara

PS: Can I CCA them even though I have commenced repayments?

You could CCA them but this isn't recommended unless there is doubt about whether the debt is genuine.

Firms like MH work on the basis that if they can intimidate and scare you enough then you'll pay more. People who simply ignore them often get ignored themselves.

You have a couple of options. You could simply stop paying MH. They'll scream blue murder at you but they may eventually just give up. You could go bankrupt- this would wipe out the debt but there are all sorts of complications with this course of action. The third option is to preprare an income and expenditure account working out what you can afford. This means that the payment to MH could go down as well as up and they will have to lump it if your income is going down.

• Haha 1

I have beeb getting letters from these clowns for a while, but thanx to theis site, i got the advice to ignore them.

I get 2 letters a week (3 if im lucky..!) saying usual garble. Take you to court, sending collectors etc.

I have now recieved 2 more letters today offering reduced payment. This is a 1 off offer.

I have had this offer 3 times now..!

You would think they would get the message by now.

Ii was going to send my cca. But then i thought that will just acknowledge that i have recieved communication from them.

So for now im going to hold out a while longer and see what they send me next.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks Seminole. I have no doubt the debt is genuing (unfortunatley) so I'll just leave the CCA - the less I have to deal with them the better anyway. Stopping paying sounds like a lovely option but that's just more amunition they have against me I supppose. I think the best course of action is just to kill them with kindness and not fall for their intimidation tricks. Knowledge is power and finding this site has been a great weight off my shoulders.

Gerarddobbin - if what you say is true about them not being able to put defaults against your credit is true, that is also a great relief.

Cara

Hi Guys

I used to work for a couple of DCA'S in Glasgow, I know of Paul Mackenzie of MH He broke many rules with one particular company when collecting mortgage debt,he even went to the extent of contacting clients behind the back of the firm that he was working for to try and under cut them, but the clients reported his action to the directors (I use the term in its loosest term possible)of the company that he worked for and the little twerp was sacked on the spot. The use of message/telegrams is strictly verbotten by the FSA, and as far as I'm aware once debt is purchased you lose any rights to civil enforcement via the courts to collect the debt. One last point, it is widely assumed in lending that bad payers refer bad payers and good payers refer yep you guessed it good payers, with this in mind is it any surprise that Paul Mackenzie & troop operate in what is a very grey area.

*soodanam IS paul mackenzie*

fact.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks