Email from DLC to call them urgently

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4329 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've got a couple of Egg accounts that are managed by DLC. I've got a number of debts that I am repaying with agreements that I revaluate annually. My next annual revaluation is next month and I've already notified DLC, as well as all my creditros, in order to get them to send me the current balances of my accounts (so that I can check that my records match their records). By the time the last creditor replies this process usually takes 3-4 months!

Anyway, DLC - to their credit ;) - was one of the first creditors that updated me on my balance. As I said above, I've already written to them about my upcoming revaluation and that they should expect my updated budget and offers of repayments by the end of next month.

However, today I received an email from DLC saying:

P L E A S E R I N G

0870 741 4222

A S A M A T T E R O F U R G E N C Y

A N D Q U O T E T H I S N U M B E R

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU RESPOND TODAY BEFORE THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS

OUR OFFICES ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS UNTIL 8:30PM TODAY

----

Some of the above is written in RED fonts, etc... I don't like this type of email. It is not a personal letter to me; it is more of a flyer or an ad! Reminds me of the Pink Postards they mass-mail twice per year (as Hillesden securities - described on a couple of other threads), which I always ignore, as I already have an agreement in place.

Has anyone else got similar emails? Any suggestions? I do not like the use of the words "urgency" and "extremely important" when used by a DCA, as it is almost always a pressure/scare tactic they seem to think they can get away with it. Personally, for a matter to be urgent and extremely important it would have to do with my health or that of my family (accident, etc.) and not a bloody financial issue about a repayment :mad:

As I have written to them and kept them update of my circumstances, notifying them that by the end of next month I will have completed my financial revaluation, plus I am already paying them monthly, I do not see what the urgency is all about.

In the past, whenever there was a true problem (e.g. once I forgot to sign a payment cheques) they would write to me describing the problem exactly, not sending me an email like the one above that does not state anything specific, apart from the urgency of some matter.

I'm not going to call them on the phone.... but should I reply to this? Should I ignore?

Cheers.

Just email them back...

I WILL NOT RING

0870 741 4222

-----------

AS A MATTER OF PERSONAL CHOICE

AND I WILL NOT QUOTE ANY NUMBER WHATSOEVER

XYZ

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU GET LOST

BEFORE I REPORT YOU TO THE OFT AND TRADING STANDARDS

Thanks mr.ton.

I think something along those lines would be very appropriate! And maybe put in RED fonts the "I REPORT YOU TO THE OFT & TRADING STANDARDS" :D

Email them back and ask them if they would like a bigger penis.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

Does this mean at 8.30pm today they will close forever!!! Result!

That would be nice, wouldn't it? ;)

Thanks for all you replies... I was really angry about their email this morning, but you've cheered me up! :)

Cheers.

Its against OFT guidelines to get you to ring on a Premium Rate number

Reducing the cost of calling 0870 | Ofcom

0870 is not a premium rate service. OfCom are in the process of sorting out 0870's, but they were never premium rate. That's why so many companies got away with using them.

On the other hand, 0871 is being re-classified as premium rate later this year.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Reducing the cost of calling 0870 | Ofcom

0870 is not a premium rate service. OfCom are in the process of sorting out 0870's, but they were never premium rate. That's why so many companies got away with using them.

On the other hand, 0871 is being re-classified as premium rate later this year.

My normal rates to geographic numbers are around 2p per minute. 0870 calls are charged at 10p per minute. If that isn't a premium then what is?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

My normal rates to geographic numbers are around 2p per minute. 0870 calls are charged at 10p per minute. If that isn't a premium then what is?

I wasn't justifying the cost, just pointing out that the statement made was incorrect. If people read on CAG that 0870 is a premium rate service then they will believe that, hence the correction.

Many years ago I was involved in a company who issued hundreds of 0870 numbers to various companies and at that time they were 'national rate' as they were charged the same as 01/02 numbers.

Since then there have been price wars between BT and the other phone companies that brought the cost of calling 'normal' numbers down. That is what caused the problem. You could still have been paying 7.91p per minute (not 10p) for calls made to 01/02 numbers at peak times, in which case the 0870 services would have been the same price still.

Look at it another way - until the 2000's, when the 01/02 call costs came tumbling down, we were paying those higher rates for normal calls - so where was the rip-off? OfCom are the ones who make the rules on what is classed as premium rate.

Anyway, point clarified and in danger of going off-topic.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Perhaps the OFT Guidance should be up-dated to take account of such numbers. DCAs taking 40% of the call's value is against the spirit if not the letter of the current guidance.

Email them back and ask them if they would like a bigger penis.

Now that is legendary! That will be squirreled away for use at a later time, quality, you just can't teach that:D:D:D:D:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!