style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Have reposted this, not too familiar with the protocol :-)

Similar experience to everyone else. Had Equita baliffs call yesterday regarding council tax arrears, I had an arrangement with them and was late paying one installment.

The guy was actually ok (well, he would be considering what he thinks he can make) anyway, this was before I read the posts here, thank god I didn't let him in!

However, my car was parked outside and when he asked if it was mine I said no at first, then a friend arrived, the baliff said he couldn't discuss things in front of him, I got myself into a tizzy trying to get rid of the baliff before my friend worked out who he was. So, when he asked again if it was my car I told him it was my fathers (true) but registered in my name...cheaper ins etc....he then said I'd have to sign for the car.

At this point my friend came walking down the drive, this guy's 6'2", the baliff took one look at him and said he'd post the form through the letterbox and he'd call me later to discuss the matter - so no signature from me - he has left the form with the car registration on it and the amount he's stating I owe.

He did phone back later but I ignored it. Oh and BTW my bill has jumped by over £200.

Now, I know to ignore any future contact but the problem now is the car. It has to be parked outside as my father is 81 and can't walk too far.

My question is this, can I 'sell' the car to my father and inform them that it is no longer my property and therefore they can not remove it from the property?

Would appreciate any feedback asap

can I 'sell' the car to my father and inform them that it is no longer my property and therefore they can not remove it from the property?

You've already said it is not your property, so any documentation will only confirm that fact.

Simply make out a receipt showing the actual date you sold it to your father signed and dated by you both as it would be, or get the receipt that he got when he originally bought it.

Hi Chris, thanks for getting back to me. I admitted (foolishly) that the car was registered in my name but I did emphasise that it was my fathers car. I'm assuming he's of the opinion that the car is registered to me so therefore he can take it.

He left a walking possession order with my name & address on it plus the registration of the car & the amount he says is owed. But as I stated, I did not sign anything.

If I now 'sell' the car to my father and send off the relevant documentation, will that suffice?

Just to clarify, I bought the car for my father but registered and insured it in my name simply because the insurance was cheaper and the car had to be registered in my name for insurance purposes

Am I complicating things? :-)

Hi cattz

If you want to put a reply on this thread type in the quick reply box below and click on 'post quick reply'

If you want to start a new thread on a different subject then go to that page on the main page, click on where you want to post eg general consumer isues, Halifax, DVLA etc and it will take you to that section. You will then find the 'Start a new thread button near the top of the page on the left :)

Hi all, has the baliff placed a levy on my Dad's car? As stated above, I didn't sign anything but he posted the walking possession order through the door with the car details on it.