Do Nationwide always close accounts?

Laura Fleming
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This is my first posting although I have been an avid reader of the site and have used the templates. Many thanks for them - they make life a lot easier!

I have reached the LBA stage now. I sent the letter a week ago and am claiming back about £700.00 worth of charges.

I was alarmed to read that, in a converstaion with Cust Services, Catflap was told that if the claim goes to court then accounts will be closed. Is this everyone's experience or was it just a threat?

Much as I would hate to give in to these bullying tactics I would be loathe to have our accounts closed as we have overdrafts and debit cards with Nationwide and we would be most unlikely to get similar credit facilities with a new bank. (I have no income as I'm at home with the kids and my husband has a very dodgey credit rating.)

Anyone got any ideas?

Laura

I think Nationwide have publicly stated that anyone iniatiating court action against them will have their account closed.

NatWest - Settled in full 22/05/06

RBS- Prelim sent 9/05/06 £1,147

£500 offer 27/05/06, rejected 30/05/06

LBA sent 25/05/06 :razz:

MCOL 15/06/06

Defence received 20/07/06

Settled in full 01/09/06 wahey!!!!!!!!!

They do close them. Tobes (one of the users) is taking out an injunction to try and stop them closing his but as yet it has not been settled or got to court stage.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Well that just confirms what we already know about Nationwide - that they are a bunch of you know whats!

This morning I opened a basic account with Co-op (who are at least ethical) just in case Nationwide start mucking about and freeze our accounts.

Interestingly, Co-op dont charge a fee for refused DD's etc!

I have also applied for a First Direct current account with Debit card and overdraft. Doubtful that I'll get it but if I do we will take Nationwide to court!

In closing accounts in this way they are further blackmailing people who they know are financially fragile and are unlikely to get another bank account with facilities. Really shows how much they care about their customers and I've been with them for 18 years!

Thanks for the info

Laura

Interestingly, Co-op dont charge a fee for refused DD's etc!

They do. It is £19.50 for the Cashminder account and £35 (ish) for the standard account. They never used to but this changed a couple of months ago...I am an account holder with them and got a letter about the changes.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

Its easy to open accounts with co-op and nat west, I applied for accounts with both just in case I couldn't get one, but now I have two. I am expecting nationwide to close my account but I am gonna try and close it before they do.

:p :p :pCARMEN :p :p :p

Can't I just open another if they close it? How would they stop me? I actually like my branch's staff.

They would have it on their system for you never to darken their door again I imagine.

Dolly, I used to work for Nationwide and up until i left in Oct 03, there system was ancient compared to what you would expect a leading bank to be. So if the system is still the same, I would think that it would be possible to open another account with them after they close the accounts.

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

£60 Charges - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, declined refund,

Halifax

£39 Charge - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, Halifax have agreed to refund the £39

Dolly, I used to work for Nationwide and up until i left in Oct 03, there system was ancient compared to what you would expect a leading bank to be. So if the system is still the same, I would think that it would be possible to open another account with them after they close the accounts.

:D

Your best bet would be to apply to one bank at a time, as each time a credit check is made on you it leaves a mark that can affect your credit score.

I am going to be in the same position whereby i have a £1400 overdraft that I am currently oweing £800 on, its going to be hard to repay that once Nationwide close the account, but thats what Its got to be.

Hopefullyt the £450 i get back from them will go someway to helping.

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

£60 Charges - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, declined refund,

Halifax

£39 Charge - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, Halifax have agreed to refund the £39