Just Curious: Returning PC Goods (never opened) within 14 days of purchase

wired
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently bought a motherboard from a PC shop (not online) and then decided to return them because it wasn't the one I wanted within 14 days (on the 14th day to be exact) of purchase.

The item was never opened or used as it was still in the bag since I first purchased it. When I tried to return the item, I was reprimanded as being unfair and that I can't simply hold an item for about 2 weeks and then decide to return it. Is this true ? :confused:

Edited by wired

Guest Old_andrew2018

Sorry IMHO you have no right to return this purchase, assuming it was the item you ordered and being free of any fault, you will have to depand on the goodwill of the retailer.

Andy

Edited by old_andrew2007
typo

Yup - afraid so. You would have just cause for an item purchased online (under the DSR) but for a standard retail purchase where you simply 'change your mind' there is no recourse. They may agree to a credit note or an exchange in the interests of good customer relations, but they are not obliged to do so.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies.

What happened was, during the time of purchase, I did ask if they carried the mboard I want, but they said they weren't sure and had to check with their supplier which would have taken a few days to get a reply.

So in the meantime, the guy insisted that the mboard (the want I did purchased but not the one I want) was sufficient and that I should just take it as I needed a mboard urgently. I asked him if it was possilble for me to exchange it later with the one I actually want, if they did carry it and he said 'yes'.

So, somehow I purchased the mboard together with a Hard Disk Drive (HDD). A week later, when I tried to install the HDD on my old PC, it wasn't usable. Actually it was not detected by the BIOS. Bear in mind, that this was still on my old PC, and I haven't started to use the mboard I bought.

I sent back the HDD for repair, and during that time, I again asked them whether they've got the mboard I acutally want in store. So they told me call their other branch, because that it where they sent the HDD for repair and also where they get all their supplies.

So, I rang them, and they confirmed that they did not carry the mboard model that I wanted. And so, I decided to return the mboard I purchased from them earlier.

Although it is not the one you wanted originally, it is the one you agreed to purchase. The law does not protect you from making a poor decision, only an unfair or illegal one.

With regards to the salesman saying you can swap it, there are two problems:

1. Under what conditions he meant it could be swapped under

2. Proving it.

I know it's not what you want to here, but I think you don't have any recourse save the seller's goodwill.

This is the dialogue between me and the shopkeeper:

ME: Hi. I'd like to return the mboard I bought cause I've rang your main branch and they've confirmed with me that they do not carry that particular model that I want.

SHPKeeper: Oh so you wanna return it. Do you know that I could've sold 2 units of these as you've kept them for about 2 weeks!

ME: Oh ok, but the item has never been used and it's still in the same condition as it was when I bought it.

SHPKeeper: Yeah, but you can't just simply buy items, keep them for 2 weeks and then decide to return them because you don't like it. This is unfair!

ME: But I thought, I could return the item within 28 days of purchase.....(suddenly the shopkeeper interrupts by standing and started yelling and giving a 'trade' lecture)

What I'm curious about is truth of these conditions:

- If the item was unused and in the exact same condition as it was purchased, I am not allowed to return it / will have a hard time returning it while trying to get a refund

- If the item was used but not suitable / not in the condition I expected, I will be able to return it (as long as it is within the '28 day' period)

Although it is not the one you wanted originally, it is the one you agreed to purchase. The law does not protect you from making a poor decision, only an unfair or illegal one.

With regards to the salesman saying you can swap it, there are two problems:

1. Under what conditions he meant it could be swapped under (It was agreed within the timeframe of finding out whether the supplier actually carried the mboard that I actually want to buy and that the mboard purchased will be returned without any faults / damage)

2. Proving it. (You mean: receipts, phone call (to the main branch)) If this is the case, if not for the HDD repair I wouldn't have find out if they carried the mboard model that I actually wanted to buy)

What I'm curious about is truth of these conditions:

- If the item was unused and in the exact same condition as it was purchased, I am not allowed to return it / will have a hard time returning it while trying to get a refund

- If the item was used but not suitable / not in the condition I expected, I will be able to return it (as long as it is within the '28 day' period)

That is what the law allows. Like I said, it does not protect you from making a bad choice, but is does protect you from being wronged.

The item you have bought is not misdescribed, not unfit for purpose etc etc. Those are the things that the law protects you from. There is nothing in law for you to complain about. You purchased something that you did not want. that is not the seller's fault.

With regard to him saying you can return it, I do not doubt he said it. What I do doubt is being able to prove it. Unless you have something concrete, such as a returns policy or an independant witness, you do not have a case.

Also, you said later that you needed the motherboard urgently, but did not open it. Where I a judge, I have to say that I could not entertain your case based on what you have said here. You have made a decision to buy something that you knew was unsuitable on the unprovable promise that you could swap it. I would say that anyone else might have waited or gone elsewhere.

Again, it is not what you want to hear, but you really do not have a leg to stand on.

Is it ok to mention the store name here in the forums?

If it helps, it is not one of the more common stores you would find in the main st. like Currys or PC World. It's a much smaller, local PC shop (not selling other electronic stuff such as plasma, cameras & etc.).

Guest Old_andrew2018

You mention head office so I assume the store is part of a larger group, and if so I would suspect they may have a returns policy.

I think its ok to name the store, however you could hold on until a member of the site team rules on it.

Andy

That is what the law allows. Like I said, it does not protect you from making a bad choice, but is does protect you from being wronged.

The item you have bought is not misdescribed, not unfit for purpose etc etc. Those are the things that the law protects you from. There is nothing in law for you to complain about. You purchased something that you did not want. that is not the seller's fault.

With regard to him saying you can return it, I do not doubt he said it. What I do doubt is being able to prove it. Unless you have something concrete, such as a returns policy or an independant witness, you do not have a case.

Also, you said later that you needed the motherboard urgently, but did not open it. Where I a judge, I have to say that I could not entertain your case based on what you have said here. You have made a decision to buy something that you knew was unsuitable on the unprovable promise that you could swap it. I would say that anyone else might have waited or gone elsewhere.

Again, it is not what you want to hear, but you really do not have a leg to stand on.

Hmmm.... interesting.... But to be blunt, wouldn't this just encourage customer/s to be dishonest especially if they were in a similar situation ?

In reply to Andrew's PM.... I see no problem in naming the store, providing that no libellous comment is made, in relation to the store.Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hmmm.... interesting.... But to be blunt, wouldn't this just encourage customer/s to be dishonest especially if they were in a similar situation ?

Not quite sure what you mean.

If you are saying that a customer, because they are not entitled in law to a refund might lie or engage in some dishonest practice to obtain what they want, that is the fault of the person and not the law.