• Tweets

• Ok so Starling came back to me and said they have made some changes on my account and I should now be able to use the 'switch' option. I have a Monzo account which I opened when I opened the Starling account, but I have not used it as yet because I was happy with Starling. I feel like I am seriously running out of options. If Monzo do the same as Startling and let me set up all my direct debits and standing orders etc and then tell me they're closing my account in so many months, what do I do then? Where do I get a bank account?  I have applied to Nationwide, got the account set up and all the details etc. Then today received an email saying sorry they were not going ahead with the account and it would be closed today. They didn't give me the option of a super basic account. I have tried RBS and Co-op too and they basically did and said the same.  I feel like a leper or something. I have only defaulted on my loans one month. It hasn't even shown up on my credit report yet, but these knock backs are definitely to do with my credit score because RBS said " Unfortunately, having made those checks we are unable to proceed with opening your account at this stage."  I don't know what to do.  I did open a Co-operative account and have all the details and even a debit card, but when I'm trying to register for online/mobile banking it is just saying for security reasons the account is locked and to call this number, which I managed to get through to the other day after holding for an hour. I am on hold again now but with what's happened with Nationwide and RBS, I am not feeling particularly optimistic. Any advice on where to go or what to do next? x
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know.  This is much appreciated because sadly most people don't. We have a new Alliance case which has pushed me to look at old cases.  The good news is that, for all their bluster, Alliance have never had the bottle to take a Cagger to court. Please do come back though if they ever send you a Letter of Claim.
    • Thanks for this update. Well done it's a good result. Typical of this company EVRi – they dangle you around for over a year and then tried a quibble to try and save a few quid – but actually it's not about saving money it's about saving face. I don't see why they bother to save face because they have no shame. They were prepared to smash up your mother's birthday and then refused to pay you out a paltry 75 quid or so – even though they know full well that you have third-party rights and they know full well that the little insurance scam is contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the Consumer Rights Act. I wonder what they would do if it was their own mothers? Well done for standing your ground. Well done for resisting mediation which would simply have added an extra stage to the process and of course they would then have threatened you to keep quiet if you revealed what had happened. You can see they are desperate to avoid further judgements against them. They know that what they are doing is unlawful but it is making them huge profits and they don't want to rock the boat! Hopefully you have learned enough that if this kind of thing happens again with EVRi or any other company, you will feel confident about taking it forward although of course we will be here to help you and support you as you need. Thank you for the donation. I am sending you an email about this.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Phones 4U/O2 Repeated Over-charging

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

I've got a dispute developing with Phones 4U/O2 for the last few months and was wondering if I have grounds to cancel my contract based on this issue. Let me explain;

I took out an 18 month contract with O2 thru phones 4U. The tariff was set at £35 per month for 18 months with 600 any one/time mins and unlimited texted.

When my initial paperwork arrived from P4U everything seemed in order. However when Os sent me my welcome pack, I notice there was a discrepency on the tariff details (i was listed as only receiving 500 mins per month)

I spoke to Phones 4U immediately about this issue (by email initially) and was reassured it was a mistake which would be recitifed immediately and I shouldn't worry.

About two months passed and I didnt pay much attention to my phone bill (I wasn't goin to go over my tarrif limits and we all have more interesting things to do than await each months bill!) but after this time I noticed I hadn't recieved any bills from O2 (I wasn't set up for paperless as I needed bills to claim cash back from P4U) I check my bank statements and noted that I'd be charged more than my tariff and definataley not enough to be accounted for my occasional mobile net usage etc. I finally arranged for O2 to send me bills for the previous 3 months and low n behold I was being charged for any messages over the 500 month limit.

I immediately raised this issue with P4U. I was contacted by email then later by phone by a very apologetic operater who heaped the blame on O2 (obv) and promised me all was resolved and all overcharges would be credited back to my bill.

So imagine my suprise/indignation when I opened this months bill to not only none of the unsolicated charges returned, but still on the incorrect tariff and being charged for messages which should be free.

Before I write a formal letter of complain I wondered if this episode would give me rounds for breach of contract as I don't fancy having to spend the next 12odd months dealing with such an inept company and also what are my chances of actually being sucessful?

I think I've kept most if not all of the e-mails sent between P4U and myself.

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Does the paperwork from p4u state the the tariff as being 600 min unlimited text or does it just say 02 600?

The airtime contract is with o2 and you are best dealing with them direct.

The standard tariff at the time you started the contract with o2 was for 600 mins 500 text, o2 600. This is because all 3rd party tariffs, even if the order was done online, are classed as retail tariffs. To get the unlimited texts p4u should, at the point of order, have selected the correct option.

Without proof from p4u that the tariff chosen is different to the tariff set on o2's billing system you will struggle to get the excess message charges back and will also struggle to terminate the contract early without penalty. With proof it is a lot easier as o2 customer services will be able to amend your tariff and credit back the charges, subject to a copy of proof being sent to them.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

• 2 weeks later...