can i do this

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son and his girlfriend owe me money from a bank loan which i stupidly got for them , they have not made any attempt to pay , they are now on benifits , she has recently been evicted from her house through none payment, she asked me if would store all her contents from the house which i have done , My question is can i legally hold all of her belongings , untill i get some money from her ,her house is on the market for sale . please help me .

No, you cannot legally with hold the belongings of someone else, even if they owe you money. Only a court can order goods be seized and auctioned for cash (for the likes of council tax arrears), an individual does not have the right to with hold, sell or in any other manner forfeit another's belongings.

From a legal point of view, there isn't much you can do if someone owes you money, unless you have a legally binding (court enforceable) loan agreement with your son/his girlfriend.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Other than that and if that does not work your only option is court but how that would go im not sure as the bank loan is in your name i guess.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 2 weeks later...

of course not. i agree with erika that

you cannot hold the belongings of

someone else legally. Only a court can order

goods be seized and auctioned for cash.

EDIT

Edited by pt2537
commercial link removed