eBay item not as described..?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but im strugeling with the after sale of a caravan i got of ebay last week.

First of all it was on a Buy it Now / Best offer

I read the description and looked at the photos then decided it was ok to buy

Now i then made an Offer of £400, £150 less than the buy it now.

This offer was accepted within 1 hour of making it.

Once the auction finished i sent a email saying that i would collect it at the weekend.

All ok,

Now i traveled down with my family "220 Miles" to pay and collect it.

On inspecting the caravan "Late 80s model" it did have some signs of water ingress and a soft floor, it did not look that bad.

So i paid for it. Why i hear you ask..! Well it was bought on ebay and it was a contract, so i had to pay for it regardless of its actual condition, Am i correct?

Anyways today a week after i got it, i had a good look around it and started to repair it, on stripping back the inner skin of the front, the whole left front and left side of the caravan is rotten.

So a little upset after spending £400 on a caravan thats not really usable i decided to ask for a refund via ebay resolution center.

Well you can gather the outcome ( Still in progress )

Now what i am asking is: can the Sale of Goods act cover me against this even though i got it on ebay and traveled down and looked at it and paid cash ?

To tell the truth i thought it was only a small ammount of repairs it needed bit not to the extent it has, witch i must say had been covered up and made to look like its fine?

Help, I would be happy for a partial refund if a full refund is not possible.

Any ideas or solutions or have i just done what i didnt want to happen

Thanks

Skip

Online Shopping and Mail Order - Your Consumer Rights | Consumer Information

looks useful

but, you paid cash outside of ebay, so that will prob result in no action from them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

was this a private or a trade sale???? it does make a difference.!! this caravan is 20 plus years old and realistically should be of the standard of a twenty year old caravan , the price tag of 400 quid does not hold great promise as caravans go in fairness....you had the oppurtunity to have the caravan examined prior to your bid and to be honest if you are not that knowledgable of caravan repair should have undertaken an independant inspection before you made your bid!!! caveat emptor....let the buyer beware!!!...without the full wording of the advert it is difficult to assess if the item was misdescribed so could do with more info really...my brother is a caravan repairer and he informs me that the majority of vans suffer with some damp issues over ten years old...it might be a good idea to patch it up and use it for a couple of seasons, it wont take many holidays to break even when you consider the cost of renting a caravan..or failing that put it back on ebay and get what you can back and learn a hard lesson.

good luck with it anyway.

Edited by jamesbond
added

"ALWAYS QUOTE ME AS BEING MISQUOTED" :D

forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to get the gas and electrics tested to a suitable standard by a professional before use, and ensure the running gear and brakes are up to scratch...be safe and have fun!!

"ALWAYS QUOTE ME AS BEING MISQUOTED" :D

Also, you said it was a buy it now / best offer payment.

You then said "Once the auction finished...."

This will affect your rights as well as whether it was a trader or private sale.

Here is the full wording from the advert:

elddis whirlwind 2 berth ideal starter caravan

lightweight 750kgs , new tyres , new battery , isabella awning ,

2 berth, 2 singles or 1 large double,

240v mains , 12 v lights , awia cd radio ,

fridge/freezer 12v/gas/240v,

portapotti toilet,

gas hob 2 rings + hotplate , grill,

great for a cheap holiday

can be viewed anytime

cash on collection please

must be taken away within 7 days as loss of storage space

This was a private seller, It was a Buy it now / best offer type listing.

I made the offer of £400 and it was accepted, I made this offer on the basis that the advert was correct and mentioned nothing about the overall condition of the caravan, I wasnt expecting a new caravan, but looking at other ebay adverts ect, most of them state that there has been some damp or sold as spare / repair due to damp.

What i am trying to find out is, because i made the offer and it was accepted, this became a contract between myself and the seller??

Skip

As the advert mentioned nothing about the condition of the caravan but offered the opportunity to view the seller is leaving the decision up to you.

You made an offer without questionning the seller as to condition and as long as the points described are correct I don't feel that you have any comeback, particularly as you inspected it on collection and accepted it.

As someone else said £400 is cheap so some issues are to be expected.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Looking at the listing - seller has plenty pics etc - I don't think you would have much comeback as seller is private indv and if they were someone like me who would just look at the caravan rather than striping it back etc prob has been described as seen as it stated inspection beofre end was invited.

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Here is the full wording from the advert:

elddis whirlwind 2 berth ideal starter caravan

lightweight 750kgs , new tyres , new battery , isabella awning ,

2 berth, 2 singles or 1 large double,

240v mains , 12 v lights , awia cd radio ,

fridge/freezer 12v/gas/240v,

portapotti toilet,

gas hob 2 rings + hotplate , grill,

great for a cheap holiday

can be viewed anytime

cash on collection please

must be taken away within 7 days as loss of storage space

Well, is it 2 berts, 240v mains, 12 v lights, awai cd radio etc...? if it is then it's exactly as described. NOT listing certain things falls between the cracks.

If it said "dry as a bone, not a sign of damp anywhere", then it wouldn't be. Beware of the things which are NOT listed, it is up to you to check those.

Sorry, but you don't have a leg to stand on on this one. :-|