• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a laptop from BH last june payed £17.99 over 38 weeks (£683.62), the laptop broke so i took it in BH & was told they'd put it through on the insurance and i'd have to pay £100 excess

i was also told that if i missed a payment untill the claim was sorted i'd the claim would be void

so it was three weeks before i could afford the £100 excess i went in to BH payed the excess & picked my new laptop

when i got home i rung BH and asked how much i now owed on the laptop to which i was told £500 & odd i then said i've payed £683.62 on this laptop to which i was told the money i'd payed had been writen off & i'd lost it, so i'd payed £100 for them to rip me of for £683.62

i also have missed two weeks payments before & the phone calls we get from brighthouse in norwich are just plain nasty

my mother is 65 years old & she can no long speak to them on the phone as she is so scared

that is so wrong how dare they im also a bh customer who wishes she never went there i got in to trouble last year with them when i got pregnant i had spd i couldnt get about my husband lost a job and i couldnt pay they were lovely at first then became very nasty hubby then got another job started paying again but his hours got lowered and again we couldnt pay the day i was in labour they were saying sombody needed to get a payment down to them when i said i couldnt i was in labour they didnt care they sed my hubby could take it down thats great aint it miss the birth of his baby now hubby has lost his job again and things have just got worse they are now telling me if i dont pay by 14 o4 09 they are taking me to court im so scared to answer my phone im now having a cancer scare and i dont need this ive asked them to lower my payments but they wont please help me i dont know where to turn next i am so depressed i took out insureance with them and the tv i got from them i knocked it off the stand it wasnt my fault and i asked if i was covered and they sed no just 3rd party fire and theft and my son broke my hifi and they have sed he ment to do it and he never we are living on 100 pound per week at the mo coz they havnt sorted hubbys jsa out and thats for me hubby and 2 kids we just about do it ive already given a tv back 6 weeks ago coz i couldnt pay and i had paid 18 months off this can i get any money back for this tv what i have paid

that is so wrong how dare they im also a bh customer who wishes she never went there i got in to trouble last year with them when i got pregnant i had spd i couldnt get about my husband lost a job and i couldnt pay they were lovely at first then became very nasty hubby then got another job started paying again but his hours got lowered and again we couldnt pay the day i was in labour they were saying sombody needed to get a payment down to them when i said i couldnt i was in labour they didnt care they sed my hubby could take it down thats great aint it miss the birth of his baby now hubby has lost his job again and things have just got worse they are now telling me if i dont pay by 14 o4 09 they are taking me to court im so scared to answer my phone im now having a cancer scare and i dont need this ive asked them to lower my payments but they wont please help me i dont know where to turn next i am so depressed i took out insureance with them and the tv i got from them i knocked it off the stand it wasnt my fault and i asked if i was covered and they sed no just 3rd party fire and theft and my son broke my hifi and they have sed he ment to do it and he never we are living on 100 pound per week at the mo coz they havnt sorted hubbys jsa out and thats for me hubby and 2 kids we just about do it ive already given a tv back 6 weeks ago coz i couldnt pay and i had paid 18 months off this can i get any money back for this tv what i have paid

i feel for you i really do,

Surely they cant treat people like this,

are they trainned to be nasty,

when i got my laptop i'm sure they said if you take something back coz you cant afford it you get the money back that you've paid... but i think they make the rules up as they go along

am sure someone will be along that can help you, i would go to CAB & talk to them

stand your ground & don't let them get your down :):):)

thanks for taking the trouble to reply im going through hell at the mo i had a psp for my son from there and it got nicked off my pram so i went down and asked what can i do i had to make a claim on my d l c they ended the psp and they also got paid out again through insurance so they got paid twice for this i never got a penny bk for what i had paid i have been with them 9 years and never had any problems till last nov when hubby lost his job

I have just picked up on this, so I'm sorry for not replying sooner.

I hope the following can help ease your mind:

First of all I notice that you have the policies on your items. Have you also got OSC? If so I would seriously recommend cancelling this asap as it is, in my opinion, a pointless policy. You are more than covered by the Sale of Goods Act (implied terms) 1974. You also DO NOT need OSC to be able to return HP goods either (no matter what Brighthouse might want you to believe). Have you home insurance by the way? If so, the cancel DLC (if your insurer covers HP items that is). Send the following letter to both Head Office and your branch (recorded delivery).

Item Description/Account Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir

I am writing to give the required 7 days notice, as detailed in my agreement(s) that I wish to cancel all "optional" service cover on the above product(s). To simplify matters, I have today (date) presented a copy of this letter to the store manager of Brighthouse (Branch), which has been duly acknowledged, so 7 days notice shall commence at the date of this letter.

As stated in my agreement:

“Your Obligations: Optional Service Cover

Section C (b) The service cover premium is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the agreement. If the premium is not paid Service Cover will lapse.

Section H (3) This policy shall continue in force until you give seven days notice…”

I shall, therefore, be making my next payment on (day) at Brighthouse (branch). This payment will not include "optional" service cover.

I understand that I may be required to sign a revised agreement. I will only do this on the firm understanding that all payments made previously on this agreement are reflected in any revised agreement. I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement.

Kind Regards

You

As for the phone calls - they are no doubt threatening to come and remove your items. For the record, Brighthouse CANNOT just take your items if you have paid over a third of the agreement. They also CANNOT forcibly enter your home or take goods without your permission. Before they can take goods they HAVE to obtain a court order. Before they can get a court order, they have to issue you with a default notice. Even if you have only made a few payments, they STILL CANNOT enter your home without your permission.

BH make these threats too often, and I have been on the receiving end of it myself. If they phone again and threaten you, tell them you wish to receive no more correspondence by telephone and want all further communication in writing. Send a letter off to Head Office and your local branch (recorded delivery) stating this, explaining your reasons (ie calls are of a threatening nature, persistent calling etc) and explain your circumstances clearly in the letter. Use this letter to help you as a guide http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...se-letter.html.

Also, tell them when they phone that you are recording the conversation. They may well say it's illegal, but it's NOT (especially if you have genuine reasons i.e. witheld numbers and threatening calls ). They don't know your not......

You may also want to send the following letter. Brighthouse is NOT a priority debt, and as you are on a limited income and have children they can NOT demand you pay more than you can reasonably afford. This is against OFT regulations!

Account(s) number(s) XXXXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I have recently been experiencing some personal difficulties and, as a result, have fallen behind with my weekly payments to BrightHouse. This is most regrettable, so please accept my apologies

I do not wish to return the goods voluntarily, and as I cannot afford to pay this amount in one instalment, I would like to offer the sum of £(reasonable amount) per week on top of my regular weekly payment of £XX to clear my arrears over the next XX weeks. This payment plan can start immediately.

I have made this proposal (and made an offer of payment) at my local store, but my payment was refused. I was told that BrightHouse will not/cannot accept “part payments”. This “policy” only places my account(s) further into arrears and invokes further penalty charges. I find this both immoral, unfair and in direct contravention to OFT guidelines regarding the collection of debt.

Naturally, I hope you will accept my offer (above) and allow me time to bring my account(s) up to date in both a fair and affordable way. Of course, by accepting my offer, and by me maintaining regular payments (on time) you agree NOT to apply any further “penalty” or “late payment” charges to my account(s).

Please confirm in writing your acceptance or refusal of my offer in order for me to make the necessary payment arrangements, or to prepare for my defence in the County Court as appropriate.

Kindest Regards

YOU

cc - BrightHouse local store

your local Trading Standards (this never hurts)

Bear in mind, and to help ease you problems, BH rarely (if ever) obtain court orders.

There is also the possibility of asking them for an account re-set, so the arrears are placed on to the end of your agreement. BH will probably prefer to reset your agreement than take you to court (as they would have to to reclaim their goods).

You should think very carefully before agreeing to this, because you risk losing all the rights you have accrued regarding repossession and early settlement, making it easier for BrightHouse to repossess their goods should you get into difficulty again.

If you do decide to accept an account re-set, use the following letter and make sure the store manager signs it. Attach it to your new agreement

Original agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

New Agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Date

Updated agreement to reflect Account Re-Set

IMPORTANT Payments made previously on this agreement (XX payments to date representing XX of the total amount payable) are to be reflected, and form part of, any revised agreement.

All rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement remain intact and continue uninterrupted into any revised agreement.

Signed - YOU

(Print name)

Signed - Store Manager (for and on behalf of Caversham Finance trading as BrightHouse)

(print name)

Brighthouse are renowned for being bullies, but they DO back down as I can testify for. First thing tomorrow, contact Trading Standards and explain everything to them - get them into the loop so you can send all correspondence on to them too.

Sorry this is long winded, but I hope some of this information helps. I know it's difficult, but try not to panic.

p.s. As an afterthought, if BH come to your house and threaten you or try to force their way into your home, do not hesitate to call the police. This is intimidation and harassment and is therefore against the law.

Once Brighthouse figure out that you know your rights, they do tend to back off. They are bullies - I was bullied by them once, but I won!

I totally agree that they have to stop - believe me, there are a few of us on CAG doing all we can to highlight the many issues surrounding Brighthouse and their "customer care".

surely theres some where we can go to tell our storys who can we get to help stopping them for good i am not going to take this from them they wont get another penny from me thats it now im on one they cant do this to other people we have to stop them

Make a start with Trading Standards - explain everything to them as you have on here. Give them as much information as possible. The more people who complain about BH the more chance there is of something being done.

hi there thanks for the advice :) have i got any rights regarding the money i've lost due the insurance claim because its a lot of money to lose :confused:

i could have bought two laptops with the money i lost :confused:

hi there thanks for the advice :) have i got any rights regarding the money i've lost due the insurance claim because its a lot of money to lose :confused:

oooops - should have read your problem before posting :)

I will re-post in a few minutes.

Edited by clemma
did not read problem first.....

Send the harassment letter to them http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...se-letter.html/

I don't understand what Brighthouse are talking about......I know there is an excess to pay (as there is with most policies) but I have absolutely NO idea why they are making you pay for the laptop all over again! I would write them a letter asking them to detail exactly why they have done this to be honest. Have you signed a new agreement? If not, then tell them to get stuffed - the agreement that is in force now, is the agreement that counts. I will ask someone else to take a look at this for you.

i did sign a new aggreement for the new one laptop

i payed £71.96 on the laptop while the insurance claim was sorted out coz i was told if i missed a payment the claim would be void & you can only make one claim per item only to be told i'd lost any money i'd payed on it when i payed the excess

so if i didnt get a new laptop i would've still lost the money

I have sent a PM to plumberjohn. He is an ex-BH manager (from a few years ago) and should know more about what they have done! You really need to get this in writing from them - demand to know where your payments have gone as they should have been put towards the new laptop.

I have sent a PM to plumberjohn. He is an ex-BH manager (from a few years ago) and should know more about what they have done! You really need to get this in writing from them - demand to know where your payments have gone as they should have been put towards the new laptop.

thank you you've been great i'll a letter now & get in the post asap ;)

I bought a laptop from BH last june payed £17.99 over 38 weeks (£683.62), the laptop broke so i took it in BH & was told they'd put it through on the insurance and i'd have to pay £100 excess

i was also told that if i missed a payment untill the claim was sorted i'd the claim would be void

so it was three weeks before i could afford the £100 excess i went in to BH payed the excess & picked my new laptop

when i got home i rung BH and asked how much i now owed on the laptop to which i was told £500 & odd i then said i've payed £683.62 on this laptop to which i was told the money i'd payed had been writen off & i'd lost it, so i'd payed £100 for them to rip me of for £683.62

i also have missed two weeks payments before & the phone calls we get from brighthouse in norwich are just plain nasty

my mother is 65 years old & she can no long speak to them on the phone as she is so scared

Ok

Sounds to me like you have been conned by BH good and proper.

This needs really clarifying though, to make sure we get them by the short and curlies!!

Did you have OSC (Optional Service Cover)? It's incidental really, because the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act would be more than sufficient to make sure that your faulty laptop was either repaired, replaced or refunded. The only exception is if the damage was caused accidentally, or through natural wear and tear.

If it was dealt with via this method, then BH would have to pick up the tab, and redress it to the manufacturer themselves AFTER you had been dealt with satisfactorily.

However, they have simply gone down the route of processing a DLC claim. The item has been BER'd (beyond economical repair) and you had to pay a standard £100 excess that they levy on claims for laptops, and another 3 weeks payments while they drag out their decision. This is ludicrous and down right theft IMHO.

The new laptop you have is on a new agreement isn't it? Well they just signed you up for a new laptop from the beginning again. As the other was written off as part of a DLC claim, the money you have paid on it is written off too, as it is considered as a rental!

So, we need to clarify 1) exactly what was wrong with the laptop and how it occured, 2) did you have OSC on the old laptop and 3) did you sign a new agreement for the new laptop.

If they have done the dirty on you, then we have many ways in which we can get justice for you, including exposing them in the media. But lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets get the facts straight first.

PJ

Edited by plumberjon

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

Ok

This is ludicrous and down right theft IMHO.

This is exactly what I was thinking too......Thanks for picking up on this one PJ - appreciate it.

@mentalmini - Could you start a new thread or I will ask a mod to start one for you, as this could be a huge thing........

EDIT - have asked a site team to move all posts relevant to mentalmini's problem to its own thread.

shall i wait till the new threads started

You can still reply here - hopefully site admin will move all the relevant posts :) PJ has asked a few questions so any information you have will be helpful.

You can still reply here - hopefully site admin will move all the relevant posts :) PJ has asked a few questions so any information you have will be helpful.[/quote

i've started a new thread mental mini's brighthouse problems :(

cheers for your help

Posts moved as requested.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

As posted by plumberjohn in your other thread mentalmini

Sorry, but you're not going to like this!

As unfair as this sounds, the claim was because of accidental damage.

Therefore the branch was right to make a DLC claim.

Unfortunately, DLC only protects the future payments to BH, at whatever point the agreement is at. It DOES NOT replace your item. This is why I always tell people to use their own house contents insurance, or get it if you don't have it.

If you had not long to pay for this, it would have been more "customer focussed" to see what other options were available to you, rather than just following the book.

I will forward this post to some members on here who are still employed by BH and see if they can help too, but I'm afraid the news isn't great.

PJ

Thanks Clemma, was just about to do that!!

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!