HB/CTB backdated payments

trawlerbouy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi have just found out that i am eligeble for housing benefit and council tax benefit because i am working but with a low income. I contacted my local authority and asked could i get it backdated because i did'nt realise i was entitled to it but was told 'thats not a good enough reason' so what would be a good reason? any ideas? from my calculations i could of saved over £800 in the last 6 months so would be nice to claw something back thanks

Unfortunately in my experience the law is on their side:mad:

The only way of getting any backdated payments is if you claim it one month and it takes them a further month to process the claim, then as a result of their bad admin you would be entitled to backdate the claim from the date you applied for benefit.

I didn't realise for well over a year after I became disabled that i was entitled to a free bus pass, but theres no way the local council would entertain a claim for all the taxi's and bus fares I paid for previous journeys:confused:

It's Live and Learn unfortunately, until you ask they won't tell.:cool:

Edited by Bazooka Boo
Damn Gremlins on the keyboard again!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

To have it backdated you have to show 'good cause'.

You could plean this is the 1st time you have claimed so were unaware of the procedures. Did someone official tell you that you wouldn't be able to claim - that would count as you were given incorrect information by an official of whatever department.

The regulations changed last October and you can go back 6 months from the date you applied (if you are working) and only 3 months if claiming benefit - pension credit, jsa, IS. The reason for this is that you have less leisure time to apply if you are working.

As I said 'Live & Learn'

Every day is a school day:D I've learned something new, cheers sallysas;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!