• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court Papers issued over something I never signed up for HELP!

colecc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am a 19 year old sole trader, who has been self employed since last February. Last June i received a cold call (my details are available online) from a sales rep trying to sell me advertising. To cut a long story short, the rep was saying that he must get an answer and how good the offer was. Stupidly I went along with his pitch, but made it clear i must speak to my colleague (my Dad) before committing to anything. At 19 I was not going to enter into a deal worth a staggering £45000 without taking advice. I told the rep I would have to let him know. I could not get in touch with my Dad, and i received another cold call from the same rep telling me he must have an answer as other companies would be after the exclusive advertising opportunity (yes I know). The rep told me I could reserve the space by sending a confirmation email over saying I would go ahead with the advertising, which at the time i thought nothing of. He dictated how I should word this email, which I now know was stupid. I didn’t think anything into this, as the rep made clear on the phone the contract would need printing and signing to complete the deal, something I NEVER did. The small print stated that this document (order form/contract) constituted the contract and to this date it has never been signed.

Anyway, after a lot of dispute, the company in question went ahead and printed crude adverts with basic details of my business. I have been invoiced multiple times ever since, had letters from bailiffs which had finally culminated with court papers being served, demanding a total of £2500.

I have copies of all correspondence with this company. I have applied for an ‘Acknowledgement of Service’, but I am approaching the deadline. Any help with this matter would be very much appreciated! As you can imagine I am very worried and can no way afford the amount being asked for even if I wanted to pay.

I could really do with any help regarding the defence, such as how it should be laid out/worded, and what points are most important to included.

Any help would be very much appreciated, and thanks everyone for taking the time to read this.

Hi welcome to CAG

I am confused as to your situation.

You say that you received letters from bailiffs then that they are taking you to court then an acknowledgement of service.

It would be useful if you scanned the relevant letters, removing any personal information, and posted it to photobucket and place links here ready for a more knowledgeable person to advise.

Did you return the information saying that you intend to defend in full?

Regards

GK

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply, my dad has the letters at the moment but I will try and get them back today.

The alledged contract between myself and this company has been in dispute for over 6 months. I have received numerous demands for payment for adverts i never asked for. This then led to payment demands from a debt collection agency, who must of been instructed to collect payment from me. After refusing this, I have now been issued court papers. I returned the papers saying I intend to defend in full when i applied for the 14 day extension.

Thanks again

If you have received an N1 you would be best to put it on photobucket as above. Obscure details but make sure that the particulars of claim can be seen.

Were other documents attached? as in contract etc?

If not you should send of a CPR request and be perparede to submit an embarrassed defence.

You are in the right place here.

GK

I am not a lawyer and offer the best advice that I can - if you think it is useful feel free to tickle my scales

Thanks GK,

What is an N1?

No other documents were attached, as mentioned I never signed a contract, the claim is purely based on an email i sent saying I confirm I will go ahead, something which i was misled into sending.

Sorry but what is a CPR request, and what would an embarassed defence be?

Thanks again for all your help

Ni is the claim form

CPR see here " CPR 31.14 Request

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of each of the following document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the credit card agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the default notice

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

I would add something along the lines of

You are also obliged to send me any further documents you wish to rely on in Court.

The reason being if they rely on for example statements of the account which they haven't sent you, you have grounds to request the claimants amend their Particulars of Claim and you shall be allowed to amend your defence."

An embarrassed defence is put in when/if they do not send the info - don't worry we will find one for you if you need it.

When is the defence due in?

GK

Hi GK,

The defence is due next Thursday but I am looking to complete it by next Tues.

Basically is the CPR 31.14 a list of requests I am sending to the claimant? Am I asking for all the info which was omitted from the original court documents? Should this letter be addressed to the person representing the company named on the papers?

Thanks again GK for taking the time to help me, it is appreciated.

Hi Colecc,

I am getting slightly concerned now due to the short time scale

I would immediately send off the CPR request by recorded delivery - do not sign it - or sign it using a 'special sig' or rule a line through the sig so they are unable to use it. (Photoshop may be there alleged friend) - give them 7 days

Also note that you will have to edit the above as it is for a CC

I think we will have to use a holding defence but would prefer if someone more knowledgeable would help here.

I would recommend that you give it another 24 hours or so here and then hit the triangle and ask for site team assistance.

Who has issued the N1 and is it from Northampton?

If it is from Northampton you can put your defence in online.

Regards

GK

Hi GK,

It is not online, and is not from Northampton.

I will try and put a CPR request together now, however I am still slightly unsure as to what I am asking for in it?

does the CPR request need to be sent before the defence, and is it sent to the person mentioned on the court papers as the claimants representative?

Thanks

ColeCC

Hi,

My Dad took the court papers to read and has gone away for the weekend, I didnt realise how important they would be. I have just returned from a 2 hour round trip to the court the papers were issued from to find it closed at 12pm for the bank holiday.

Is there anything I can do in the mean time? should i be getting the CPR request together? I can have this sent special delivery on tuesday to arrive for wednesday, which is still within the deadline for my defence. should this CPR be sent before my defence is filed? I take i should still file my defence by the deadline no matter when the CPR is filed, read or replied to?

Many thanks for all your help, and if by some way I can get the particulars/court papers before the re-opening of the court on tuesday then I will get them posted on here.

Many thanks for all your help during this worrying time, any advice will be much appreciated

Can you ring him.....

the CPR needs to be in line with what is written on the court papers.....

Your defence will be something along the lines of....(this is a basic starting defence NOT the CPR) i'm not up with commercial debt, so i'm only giving my opinion on this.....

1 The Defendant denies ever having been indebted to £xxxxx and denies any business relationship with XXXXX

2 The Defendant repeats paragraph 1 of his/her Defence and denies a debt to the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to £XXXXX for debt, to statutory interest or to any monetary or other relief of any kind is denied.

4 The Defendant denies having any signed agreement with the alleged creditor.

I BELIEVE THE FACTS SET OUT IN THIS DEFENCE ARE TRUE

Signed:

Dated:

-----------

This is the CPR BUT.....this needs to be geared with whatever is in the Particulars Of Claim.....(unless they have attached any of the documents). You need to try and understand what is being said here...and I can't stress how important it is that this letter is made in line with the claim form.....you can bet they won't back down for a debt of this size, but if their paperwork isn't in order then woe betide on them...my feeling is without a signed contract they will struggle....but again this is my feeling....

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

[Prior to the issue of proceedings I had delivered a request for the production of the agreement mentioned in the Claim Form and on which you rely. That request was ignored][delete if no such request was delivered]

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the assignment*

3 the default notice*

4 the termination notice*

5 [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]*

* delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim.

[Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise]#

# delete if claim for a sum exceeding £5,000.00

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

• Haha 1

Thanks you very much everyone for your help.

I have tried getting the papers, but they are locked in a flat no one has access to until tuesday.

Basically I cannot do anything without these papers, but am I right in thinking i should do my best to get a CPR AND a defence together over the weekend?

Is there anything that matters if a defence and a CPR are submitted at the same time?

When I do get the papers on Tuesday, I can amend both the Defence and the CPR to tie in with the Particulars of Claim, and then send the CPR Special Delivery on Tuesday to arrive Wednesday, and file the defence Wednesday to reach the deadline of Thursday. Is this right?

Also, should the CPR be addressed to the person whose name is on the Court Papers?

Many thanks again for all your help, and I would be very greatful if you could let me know of anything else I should be doing before Tuesday!

Thank you

After spending some time reading up, I am coming to the conclusion that at this late stage a CPR 31.14 would be of little or no use, as I have to file a defence the day after sending it so would have no reply anyway. Is this right? Also, without having the papers to hand I would not know whether a 31.14 or a CPR 18 would be more appropriate?

Am I right in thinking that at this stage I need to get the best defence I can together for submission? Or should I continue along the CPR 31.14/CPR 18 request route? Does anyone have any more info on a CPR 18?

Are there any templates for filing a defence available? I have been reading different threads about different types of defences (e.g. Holding Defence) but am not sure which would apply here or how I would lay it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks you

Hi Colecc,

It would be really useful to have a look at the particulars of claim. If I recall correctly they should send documents with the N1 but rarely do - they are, I believe, hoping that you will do nothing and that they will get the judgement by default.

I cannot recall the timescales here and so am unsure on what grounds you can defend.

At worst I would put in a holding defence - basically "I need more information before I can make a decision on the claim - and would like permission to amend my defence when I receive the information"

You should have come across something suitable in other threads.

Hopefully 42Man will be along soon,

GK

I have now got hold of the particulars of claim which state:

The claimants claim is for services rendered in respect of advertising, to the defendant by the claimant at the defendants written request. The claimant confirms they have fulfilled all contractual obligations of which full particulars have been delivered before this action was commenced.

This then goes on to list the amount being claimed for.

No other documents were attached to this.

Have you managed to get any of the information 42man has mentioned. It really is needed to help you out.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation