style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick question

Do you have to identify yourself When a bailiff demands you to at your door.

I would say no in most cases. Most bailiffs are just tinpot private bailiffs, i.e. they are not court officials even though they are supposed to be registered at a court before they can practise.

Also, I don't like the word 'demands'. If any bailiff tried to demand anything from me, I would send him packing right away and suggest that he learn some manners.

Guest Happy Contrails

You are under no legal obligation to say anything to a bailiff, do business with him or pay him any money. There is also no legal obligation to say your name or address to train ticket inspectors and other public figures.

You only have to give your name and address when requested by a police officer who is on duty and,

1. Be wearing the correct uniform or

2. Show his warrant card showing his number name and rank.

You are allowed to write it all down and after that - as the verbiage goes - you have the right to remain silent.

Quite right! Most of these bailiffs are private citizens working for private companies who think that they can manipulate the law. They have has much authority to see your ID as a used car salesman.

The best method by far is to say nothing and to simply stand firm and give them the long authorative icy stare through the window until the penny drops as to who is in charge of the situation. Believe me bailiffs do not know how to deal with the icy stare.

You'll know you have won when he phones the office.

Guest Happy Contrails

You don't really need to stare at them, just ask them to leave the property.

Always be polite and address a bailiff as Sir. Make sure they see you writing everything down, or point a camcorder at them.

Take it from me that the icy stare has been tried and tested and is by far the most effective bailiff repellant known.

Any bailiff who comes to my house, without notice, at their convenience, to lie, to defraud, to act disrespectfully with the specific intention of doing me no good at all hasn't earned any politeness.

This is my piece of the Sceptered Isle, the one place I make the rules. Anybody who doesn't like that can leave right now, or we can discuss the matter in the privacy of their own front room. It is not a toilet for a person who cares nothing about me to use at his convenience and to try and dictate how I should behave in his less than desired presense.

The icy stare every time.

You don't really need to stare at them, just ask them to leave the property.

Always be polite and address a bailiff as Sir. Make sure they see you writing everything down, or point a camcorder at them.

Address them as Sir???? Under no circumstances would I address a bailiff as Sir... The word Sir implies some kind of deference or respect, that they are better than you are.

Do you have to identify yourself When a bailiff demands you to at your door.

Of course not!

Although in my opinion you shouldn't be answering the door in the first place, to a person that you do not know, unless you are physically capable of repelling any attempt to push past you, and want to risk that.

Of course not!

Although in my opinion you shouldn't be answering the door in the first place, to a person that you do not know, unless you are physically capable of repelling any attempt to push past you, and want to risk that.

YES! More than capable.

I am waiting for the one who threatened to call yesterday - not my debt, not my problem!

Oh and the dog is getting bored waiting too!!

GKTP

YES! More than capable.

I am waiting for the one who threatened to call yesterday - not my debt, not my problem!

Oh and the dog is getting bored waiting too!!

GKTP

am sucked off trying to deal with these baillifs but this thread has made me laugh so much in the last minute cant remember the last time i laughed like this just wished i found this site before i let the dumb ass in to my house

this thread has made me laugh so much in the last minute cant remember the last time i laughed like this just wished i found this site before i let the dumb ass in to my house

About nine months ago there was a thread about a bailiff who entered a securely fenced property which contained a couple of guard dogs.

The owner arrived home to find a chewed up shoe and a broken fence. That thread will brings tears to your eyes...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs-sheriff-officers/163118-doberman-bites-bailiff-arse.html

Edited by palomino
added link

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I am a keen motorcyclist and someone on our forum returning from a trip out, heard a noise in his shed and went out to discover that his dogs had a burglar/bike thief trapped and he had been there for a few hours.

He called plod and somehow it reached the ears of a local newspaper reporter who came to 'investigate'.

An hour or two later he went to the shed to investigate the dogs again.

This time it was the reporter who, unusually, was checking the facts.

GK

About nine months ago there was a thread about a bailiff who entered a securely fenced property which contained a couple of guard dogs.

The owner arrived home to find a chewed up shoe and a broken fence. That thread will brings tears to your eyes...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs-sheriff-officers/163118-doberman-bites-bailiff-arse.html

cant find this link antwhere was looking forward to reading it lol

Aah. I see what's happened - the link has acquired a space in the 'co.uk' bit. Tried to fix it but it just comes back again.

Try copying the link address into a separate browser window and editing the space out. Or copy this -

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

Oh sheesh, it worked this time.

A few years ago I was just getting into my car outside a friends house and a man walked up to me and said is your name XXX?

No - I say

Can I see some ID - he says

Why? - me says

Cos I don't believe you - he says

Fine I say and show him my warrant card (ex special constable)

No let me see yours mate - me says.......

LMAO - never seen a man literally go white before

A few years ago I was just getting into my car outside a friends house and a man walked up to me and said is your name XXX?

No - I say

Can I see some ID - he says

Why? - me says

Cos I don't believe you - he says

Fine I say and show him my warrant card (ex special constable)

No let me see yours mate - me says.......

LMAO - never seen a man literally go white before

ex SC lol id keep that quiet

I was shown a police ID last night, I wouldn't have known if it was real or not, the only clue was the uniforms accompanying him.

It's small and dark in a plastic wallet, looks like something you'd get off a cornflakes packet.

Whatever happened to the big metal badges sheriffs wear in the movies? :)