• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax, recovery of outstanding balance.

Oudeis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear fiends,

Push has come to shove.

My son had an account with Halifax and is now being chased for £i,300 or so, the greater part of which is bank charges.

I know I (he) should deal with this quickly; but, how to begin?

It may be simply a matter of chalenging Halifax as to the amount owed and informing the debt collectors, however I fear that any mistake at this juncture could ruin the whole thing.

Please, could someone advise me how to begin to sort this thing out? I have some trouble finding my way around this site (pro-formers etc.) and I do not wish to lumber a 'buddy' out of the blue.

I would be grateful for any advice, thank you all. :))

Hello and Welcome, Oudeis.

Don't worry about lumbering a 'buddy' :) that's what we're here for.

Here's the 'link' to re-claiming charges, start the process asap........

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Any questions, just ask on this thread ;)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 months later...

Dear friends,

Thank you so much 'maroondevo52

I did not know the figures, I did use your excelent letter, I got a reply pretty quickly. I was sent 6 pages of bank account statement-0 covering the lifetime of my son's account. The last line of this statement, in bold, reads...

27 Jun 08 Closing Balance......(money in) X...(money out) X....(Balance) 0.00

I would now like to write to the Debt Collectors to point out that there is nothing owing.

Given that I asked for a complete statement have I missed something?

I am so grateful for the kind attention I have been given, thank you again. :))

Hi,

With the balance showing £0.00 more than likely the Bank have sold your account to the Debt Collectors.

Carry on with your claim for the charges, there's a letter here you could sent to the Debt Collectors regarding your account.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your ref:

Thank you for your letter of **DATE**, the contents of which are noted.

I am disputing the total value of these debts with **BANK** due to unlawful and unreasonable charges. As such, therefore, I consider this account to be in dispute and no further action or payment shall be made until this matter is resolved.

As per OFT guidelines Section 2.8k "not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt."

This process may take some time, due to the Office of Fair Trading's test case, but I will try to expedite this issue as a matter of urgency.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

After taking advice, I am of the opinion that your continued pursuit is in violation of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 section 3 as well as breaching a number of the OFT Collection Guidelines.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you would prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

*Edit out any bits your not happy with*

Who are the Debt Collectors ?

Regards.

Scott.

Thanks again Scott.

Nowhere in the statement does the balance go into the red, the sums peter-out to zero with a final balance of 17p paid in cash and the account closed.

IF there was any debt to be claimed against the account holder why is there no sign of him going into the red? There is no sign either of charges being levied.

That last point seems to nulify any claim for repayment; by the account holder OR the debt collector.. The covering letter seems to be stated in general terms.

Ooops!

The actors in this play are:-

Halifax, Wescot, Nelson & Guest and Eversheds.

The bit in (this site's) letter, where I asked for statements, that speaks of 'Manual Intervention' has been answered in that such matters are not recorded centally, so no news. Is your notion that the 'debt' has been sold recorded under this heading? If so the figures are lost to me.

More for me to ponder I guess. Sorry for the dely in info. Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again friends,

I did use the letter to reply to Wescot the debt colectors (thanks again Scott) I also wrote to the bank to clarify the mix-up; I said, given that I did ask for a full history of all my (my son's) banking with them...was their reply their answer to that? If so go tell Wescot. Also as I had written to warn them that I intended to reclaim all unfair charges why did they then send me statements that had no charges? I realized, rather late in the day, that charges over the lifetime of the account could easily come to more than they are claiming and I hope they realize that cancelling this debt would be cheaper for them in the long run. We shall see. Rather cheekily in their response to my FOI they wrote that if the info they sent me DID NOT satisfy me I should phone them. I find that a bit rum. I am sure what I said/could have said off the cuff would certainly be used against me rather than help. Thanks again. "Onward and upward!" :)

OOPS!

There are points I forgot to mention...perhaps it is best if I copy the letter to the bank ...

Thank you for your letter dated 4th June 2009. Which was in response to my request for:

“ a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organisation.”

Some confusion has arisen.

Although I told you the reason for my request was to reclaim any disproportionate penalties that may have been levied against me the statements you sent contained no charges and confirmed that my banking history with Halifax Plc concluded with a zero closing balance.

Why then has Halifax Plc set Wescot Credit Services to recover in excess of £1,200 from me?

If what you sent me was not all that I requested and that charges have indeed been levied against me . I do consider us to be in dispute.

I have written to Wescot in relation to this dispute with Halifax Plc and informed them that no further action or payment shall be made until this matter is resolved.

It may be that what you sent to me is indeed the true state of affairs. In that case could you please inform Wescot.

• 1 month later...

Friends,

Further to Halifax telling me that the court case was on hold and could be that way for years I discovered elsewher 'moneysavingexpert' that my claim could go forward because of financial hardship. I sent Halifax a letter pointing this out. They have written to me to reiterate their points plus a financial statement for me to fill out. I suppose my next step is to send the completed assessment form and wait for their largesse? OR Is it time to involve the Ombudsman?

Darlings, I would dearly love a litte feedback on these last points, please. Tom

Hi, Tom.

Sorry, for some reason I've been missing your posts :rolleyes:

Yes, return the form, they have 8 weeks to get back to you.

I'll move this thread to the Hardship Forum, you'll get help in there.

Did you ever get a full list of charges ?

Regards.

Scott.

Thanks for getting back to me Scott,

I did get a full list and I have them +%8 interest laid out in a table. I cannot paste it here though, I have tried.

The charges total £1274: they term this figure as 'Amount of fees PAID' and not simply levied; Plus Interest DEBITED £197.61. The interest I have set out on this sum is £180.28 which brings my claim to £1454.28. Perhaps their interest debited I should also claim back?

Meanwhile I got a letter from a seperate office of the Halifax offering a discount of %40 for a cash payment.

Thanks again Scott, regards Tom.

P.S.

I should attempt to clarify;

They are after..........£1,291.54

Interest CREDITED.....£23.48

Interest DEBITED......£197.61

Fees PAID..............£1,274.00

Therefor amount paid/debited is £I,471.61

With the interest of 8% I claimed for the fees (not yet for their interest debited)

My claim could be in excess of...£1,651.89.

They will have to work out how much of this WAS PAID by my son. I fear that this calculation may be beyond me.

Tom.

Hi,

I would'nt worry too much about it, when I claimed from HBOS I calculated 5 years worth of charges, being in Scotland.

They paid me 6 years :)

They'll work out how much is due.(I would think).

Regards.

Scott.

• 1 month later...

Hi all and Sct,

To up date you on matters.

I sent back to the bank the forms they sent me regarding financial hardship. The bank has responded. They offer £343 because they agree the hardship status, they also say that I should continue to 'talk' with their collectors to see how things can move forward.

It srikes me; I (we are talking of my son) have incurred charges, the court found that they should be repaid, the court stayed the matters, except in cases of financial hardship.

As the bank admits to my financial hardship status why do they not follow through?

This at any rate will be my arguement to the Ombudsman.

For, as things stand the bank continues to pursue me for the debt.

Any advice on approaching the Ombudsman would I am sure be helpful.

Yours,

Tom