Bank charges when receiving benefits

fatboydukey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

This claim is my cousins. Some info, my aunt died last year and my cousin is now the legal guardian for his brother. He receives job seekers that is paid into a post office account and Guardians allowance and child benefit paid into his Lloyds account. Its about £30 a week and this is used to pay 2 direct debits, one is house insurance and the other tv licence.

My cousin isnt the sharpest tool in the box so I help out where I can! The last couploe of months have been particularly bad for him and one month he lost track on the dates the DD's were being taken out - he ended up getting charged £40 for them being returned and he hasnt managed to get back on track yet so he is getting charged the same amount every month!

I heard that bank charges cant be taken from benefits somewhere so sent the letter mentioning this and stating the Social Security Admin Act 1992, Section 187 and have asked for the charges to be refunded.

My cousin finally received a response this week - I havent got a scanner so will type out one of the paragraphs, most of the other paras are to do with them spurting out about the test case...

"We have considered the point u have raised in relation to the social security admin act which we believe was directed at section 187. It is our view and the view of our legal advisers that debiting these bank charges from an account into which benefits have been or will be paid is not contrary to that provision of the act."

Where do we go from here?

Also, he received another letter from Lloyds about an unauthorised overdraft and from what I can work out they are saying that although they dont usually do this on his type of account - if he goes overdrawn in that month he will be charged a set fee of £15 instead of the £20 usually charged for each cancelled dd etc.. has anyone heard of that?

If he doesnt go overdrawn then he wont get charged the £15.

Cheers

FBD x

:D

Fatboydukey (FBD) = my big fat ginger tom :DI am of the fairer sex :razz:

HSBC - FBD 1st claim Bank charges Jan 07 = success

HSBC - FBD 2nd claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds - mums claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds PPI - mums claim June 08 = Got back PPI now fighting for interest

Citi loan PPI - FBD June 08 = WON!!!!

Citi cards - FBD Credit card charges June 08 = ongoing

Skycard - FBD Credit card charges - WON!!!

Kays - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = ongoing = told Moorcroft where to go and they went!!!!!

Studio - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = WON!!!!!!

I dont know the answer to your question, but will try and find someone who does. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think steven4064 has got a thread on benefits and why SSAA1992 is not applicable.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I will look for that one as well Yourbank, thanks :-)

FBD, you might find something that helps in the following link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/36790-bank-taking-your-benefits.html

And this is the one YourBank was referring to.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/108952-claim-charges-taken-benefits.html

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks guys,

Will have a look through those links!

Cheers

FBD

:D

Fatboydukey (FBD) = my big fat ginger tom :DI am of the fairer sex :razz:

HSBC - FBD 1st claim Bank charges Jan 07 = success

HSBC - FBD 2nd claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds - mums claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds PPI - mums claim June 08 = Got back PPI now fighting for interest

Citi loan PPI - FBD June 08 = WON!!!!

Citi cards - FBD Credit card charges June 08 = ongoing

Skycard - FBD Credit card charges - WON!!!

Kays - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = ongoing = told Moorcroft where to go and they went!!!!!

Studio - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = WON!!!!!!

However he has a hardship case to reclaim those bank charges already taken. Due to his circumstances it should be straightforward (since when is it ever with a bank?)

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

just wonderin if n e one can help me? iv just had £350 of charges on my account that my benefits goes into. can i claim this back and how? im a new mum so dont work and rely entirely on my benefits at th minute an th bank just keep takin n takin an chargin more, th £350 charges are just from 2 weeks 1st april 14th april, please can some one point me in th right direction as i am at a complete loss.

It would be an idea to start your own thread so people can help you specifically, Crazysaxon.

The first idea would be to get an fresh basic account with an unconnected bank and have your benefits paid into there- then the bank can't take anymore money. Then reclaim all the charges using the template letters in the Bank Templates Library. A SAR is generally the first step, to ascertain the full amount of charges to be refunded.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .