• Tweets

• As not english person I'm finding it really difficult to deal with all this. . I'm not even sure what SAR is and where to send it.  When I asked lloyds to start investigation about irresponsible lending (all done over the phone nearly 4 weeks ago) they've gave me ref number but didn't hear anything back. They've sent me a letter about overdraft that it has all fees and interest stopped and default will go on this account for 6 years and that the collection department will contact me.  How can I start an investigation about irresponsible landing the right way?  Please advise and thank you
    • Hi BankFodder,   Just a quick update:   Parcelhero have been in contact with me each day, they've been trying unsuccessfully to get hold of Hermes, so after a week we've moved to the claims process. The chap who's helped me through it has been good, so I've not had to ask any questions here etc.   I've submitted my claim, and I'll let you know what happens as a result of that.   Wanted to extend a thanks your way once again, the conversation put me at considerable ease.    
    • The agreement was for 18,000 miles per annum, I had the car 31 months. Someone has done some handwritten 'calculations' on one of the enclosed sheets, which says "mileage allow = 46,500" "1,500 x 31months". And on another sheet it has "Actual mileage 51,607, Excess: 5107 miles", which could give this figure of 46,500 (as the mileage on collection day was 51,607), but I can't understand where this 46,500 actually comes from, or am I missing something here? 🤔   So Ford can just come up with spurious charges, put defaults on my credit file, sell on the non-existent debt, and just walk away, leaving me to spend hours sorting it out?   Am I to just ignore Link forever more, or will they eventually just stop bothering me?
    • If you ring and say you have been misled, they may intercede and help. But it is your fault, so apologetic is the operative word here.  Sorry about the multiple posts. See, like that 
    • Just to add to the above.   The bailiff collects both fees and the sum due to the court in one sum, "the amount outstanding" as far as they are concerned there is just a £75 shortfall.
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3174 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Its probably because court time is limited & in short supply & that they would rather put the more serious cases through.

Yes, SRPO does make a very valid and important point here

There is a fine line to be run in 'managing' Court time and whilst it may be desireable to prosecute all offenders, the Courts and the TOCs certainly have many more cases than there is time to hear.

I suggest that is very much a sad reflection of the high level of offending, but does mean those cases deemed less serious are likely to escape prosecution where an alternative disposal may be achieved.

Some may see that as resulting in a 'justice lottery', but I'm afraid it is a sign of our times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a general question?

There are a number of different ones dependent on where a traveller is reported.

In general terms it may be TfL's own prosecution team or London Underground,

It might be one of several TOC's operating services in the LUL area such as SE Trains, FCC, NEX E Anglia, Chiltern Railways, LOROL or,

The DLR prosecution team etc,

If you have been reported, whatever you do, you must write to the specific team who have written to you.

Is this a general question?

There are a number of different ones dependent on where a traveller is reported.

In general terms it may be TfL's own prosecution team or London Underground,

It might be one of several TOC's operating services in the LUL area such as SE Trains, FCC, NEX E Anglia, Chiltern Railways, LOROL or,

The DLR prosecution team etc,

If you have been reported, whatever you do, you must write to the specific team who have written to you.

Sorry, I mean London Underground prosecution team. However, I can't find it out on tfl's website.

I would really appreciate someone's help.

My circumstances are that I accidently used my fathers freedom pass whilst on my way to work. It was a genuine mistake as my father had worn my overcoat a few days prior and had left his pass in my pocket (it was in a little blue LU wallet-just like mine). When I pulled it out of my pocket and used it on the machine an inspector stopped me and starting questioning me as to used oyester card it was, inevitably I said it was mine. He responded to me "no its not" and asked me my employee number. At this point I was feeling very intimidated and confused as to what was going on. I replied that i didnt know what he was talking about, he then took the card out of the wallet and I realised by the colour that it was not my card.

The inspector proceeded to take down my details and caution me and confiscated the card. Despite my profuse aplogies that there had been a huge mistake. I was late for work and I had to go but i later went back on my lunch break to try and explain what had happened but the guy said that it was already in the system and i would be recieving a letter in the post.

I like everyone else work in an industry where I believe a criminal conviction would be detrimental to my future. I have a clean record and I think I only used it once or twice (I believe this happened on a tuesday so there is a chance i had the card on the monday too).

I have received a letter from LU stating the same as MikeS1000 above.

What can I do or say?

Sorry, I mean London Underground prosecution team. However, I can't find it out on tfl's website.

I'm in work tomorrow, I'll find out for you.

Someone may come along before that though!

Regards

UNDERGROUND :D

Apologies for not being around lately, had some on-going computing problems, and been busy!

Anyway.......

locotoro

A few questions:

- Was your journey entirely on London Underground?

- Do you have proof that you held another valid ticket or Oyster card

for the journey you made? Is so, what was it?

- Did your father not realise his Pass was missing for two days?

Hi Thanks for the responses

- The inspector asked me what my employee number? (I had no idea at the time) but I now understand that by saying that the oyster card was mine he must have assumed that I worked for London Transport. My father later taold me that all London Transport personnel have a employee number that they memorise. Obviously I didnt have a clue what he was talking about?

I was travelling from Seven Sisters to Harrow. But I did have my own oyster card.

My dad works on the buses and drives to his garage so I guess he doesnt use it unless someone can shed some more information as to whether he would need it to use it to sign in?? He made no mention of his card being missing to me.

I have just drafted a very apologetic letter to the prosecutions department and told them i would be willing to pay any charge or fine. I am so worried that i may get a criminal record over this.

One other thing is that the incident happened in mid March. and I have only recieved the first letter from London transport. Is there a chance that this could drag on beyond a six month window which would be in approximately one months time??

or am i clutching at straws :S

Ah, you are talking about a Bus Operators pass, the purple coloured card?

I must say that it is quite possible your father will have his Pass withdrawn permanently. LT Staff Travel take the misuse of TfL employee passes very seriously.

What ticket or Oyster card did you hold that was valid on the day of travel?

sorry, thats what I meant. Employee pass. It is the purple one thats how i realised it wasnt mine when the inspector took it out of the plastic wallet.

The issue of the pass being permanently withdrawn isnt really an issue as my father has since left.

I have my own normal payg oyster card but i dont think i had it that day. i thought i had my own but i obviously had my dads

I'll be honest here, I don't think you've got a leg to stand on should this come to prosecution.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a valid ticket or Oyster card for your journey, and the excuse that you managed to use your fathers pass by mistake is unlikely to wash when it comes to the 'balance of probabilities' in a courtroom. Especially the story that you and your father share a coat.

I realise that this is not what you want to hear.

All I can suggest is that you write to the LU prosecutions manager and plead your case.

thanks for your honesty underground.

I have written to the prosecutions manager and explained to him (in a very apologetic way) that this was a completely innocent mistake.

For the record we dont share a coat, my dad just uses my coat on the odd occassion. Still Not sure it makes much of a difference.

I will await a response from them with fingers crossed

Civil law uses the balance of probabilities, criminal law is proof beyond reasonable doubt which is a higher standard of proof.

If you are prosecuted under Sec 5(3) of the Regulation Of Railways Act they will have to prove it was your intent to avoid payment.

If they prosecute under the byelaws they only need to prove you were there & you didnt have a valid ticket.

Quite, SRPO - Thank you ;)

• Haha 1

I'm also in similar position to locotoro. I've written a letter to settle out of court. However, I hadn't decided on my plea yet and only have a couple of days to send it off. I haven't received a reply from london underground. Is it worth ringing up the magistrates court to ask for an adjournment given that there's been a postal strike?

B

You can ask.

It's always worth trying to settle out of Court although the rail company is not obliged to agree to any offer and it may just delay the resuilt that would have been arrived at in any case.

On the other hand, you may get the opportunity to pay an administrative penalty and save the likelihood of being ordered to pay a fine & costs.

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3174 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you