Asda store purchase HELP

stevvieboi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi need some advice regarding a purchase i made with asdas, it was a settop box at £100 purchased just over a year and a half ago, after 6 mths it broke down, so it was taken back to the store where they exchange it and also marked my receipt this had been done, well the new one after 6 months developed the same fault, but as the original receipt is over a year old, although the box is only 6 months old the will do nothing about it as they say its over a year old, i pointed out to them it was exchanged and my understanding that all new products are guarnteed for a year, but they still said the original receipt was over a year, and nothing will be done and said to me that i could come back time and time again with this and keeping getting replacements, is that not why new products are gaurnteed for a year in the first place, and no this is not the reason i was doing this.

i then phoned their customer services who informed me that its store policy to refuse even if their has been an exchange, and that all stores do this now, and informed me next time to ask for refund on any product and get a fresh receipt, that way i would not have this problem, anyone with any thought on this, and where i stand, she did say to me however to contact the oft

They are talking, in reverse, skollob. They have supplied goods to you and, even where they are a replacement for other goods, they still must conform to the contract.

Contact Consumer Direct. Make sure to point out that you have already spoken to customer services and their response.

now spoke to consumer direct, and they informed me i will have to send them a recorded letter even though they wont do anything about this, even if the product is upto 3 yrs old their is still rights in place according to consumer direct, thanks for your advice, better go and type up a letter now

ASDA's policy is quite correct. They are sticking to the '1 year guarantee' which s their prerogative. The fact you have a different box that is just 6 months old is of no consequence, the guarantee runs from the date of the first receipt, as NOT to do so would leave others to claim 'betterment' - for example, you could arrange to have a fault every 11 months, and following your logic, would expect a new replacement item - possibly for evermore!

I disagree that their responsibility would end at 12 months, but this is a different issue to the one complained about. You have no issue concerning the replacement only lasting 6 months, only that one year down the line and 2 machines, you're not a happy consumer!

Unless Asda have changed their policy, they will exchange anything that will scan on there system and refund you even without a reciept, i know this to be true as i know of it being done twice in the same store 1 with a printer which by the way wasnt even bought from there but which they stocked and also a PS2 of which the box and unit seriel numbers didnt match.

I would just try taking it back to the store but with out your reciept.

ataxidriver

Just tell asda you are not claiming for as replacement under their guarantee but claiming with your legal statutory rights under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended). The product is not of satisfactory quality, and should reasonably be expected to last more then a year and for a product of that type it is reasonable to expect it to last at least 3 years.

Whilst the length of time for goods is from the date of first purchase this is still less then the 3 year period. A replacement, repair or partial refund is therefore required.

--

I agree that someone should not be able to abuse a guarantee or the SOGA and believe you should be intitled action during the period that you can reasonably expect the product to last. In this case a repair/replacement/partial refund up to 3 years from purchase.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Unfortunately, ASDA (and lets be honest, most other retailers) have no interest in this wooly 'reasonable' timeframe for a guarantee period. The '12 months' is automatic and staff have been trained to work to this. Anything over this amount requires negotiation, and probably stamina.

Looking at it from the retailers point of view, their profit margin leaves them little room to hand out 'free' replacements for the faulty model. Sure, the manufacturer may well average a free substitution, but if it was a one-off 'special' purchase, they could be left high and dry, so by saying the guarantee has expired, protect their bottom line from further erosion.

• 1 month later...

i can tell ya what to do as i know exactly if your item is on there electrical list and is less than a year old they will replace it as long as it is an asda own product they can also give a refund but if you dont have a receipt they will put it on a gift card. no problem trust me i worked for them on customer services also if they originally gave you a replacement and you had a receipt they should of given you a new receipt and your 1 year guarantee will run from then.