• Tweets

• You have fewer rights, not no rights. You can't take your employer to Employment Tribunal for Unfair Dismissal in most circumstances until you have worked there for 2 years. But you can take your employer to Tribunal to recover unpaid wages however short a time you have been there.   But your concern at the start was "... when I leave next year, will they pay my overtime" so you are planning to leave anyway?  Have they paid you overtime up to now? If so your payslips will be evidence that under your contract they pay overtime so if they don't you can bring a claim for unpaid overtime agaisnt them. Do you have any reason to think they won't pay it?   Keep your payslips!        
    • In the first two years they can pretty much get rid of you for any reason (or even no reason!), so it's perhaps a bad idea to give them any excuse until the two years are up.  Even then, establishing that say, you've been unfairly dismissed, is not always easy.   In the first two years I think you would be able to sue for "wrongful" (as opposed to "unfair") dismissal, but there you are talking about legal differences beyond my competence.   Is there a problem other than the lack of a written contract?  You could ask again (tactfully).  eg "Oh - I've just realised that I don't seem to have a copy of my terms and conditions.  Can you let me have a copy?"  If they keep refusing you might decide that either (1) there's something funny going on here, or (2) they're simply incompetent.   Assuming you pay tax and NI, you may want to check with HMRC that deductions are being paid over to them.  (I assume you can do this without your employer knowing - others will know how).   Are you being paid for overtime worked?
    • as it is on a separate pole and not on the building the height is immaterial. the deemed consent requires the height to be no more than...... and they dont have that because it isnt attached to the building Do not confuse the 2 things
    • yes please, go back to the very beginning to explain everything. We will need to know what you put down in writing fro your defence as well as the info on the signage that is contested. Did PE argue that the signage has chnaged since you entered the land and breached the contract or did they simply state that there were 5 signs when that is clearly not so? appeals are on either matters of fact or matters of law so if you want to raies the planning issue then that is a matter of law (no contract can be formed) but not raising it earlier will make that a difficult ne to put forward. It is unfortunately very common for PE and others to just tell out and out lies when it comes to signage etc so look up other cases where they ahve tried the same trick and use that as evidence if possible
    • I get the distinct impression they would not vote to bring down a government thats promising Brexit deal or no deal until after Oct and a hard Brexit.   I don't doubt that would suit Corbyn too.
  • Our picks

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3731 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

oftnews_01.gif

News from the OFT

April 2009

bar.gif

Quick links

>

OFT Annual Plan published

>

BPR Guidance published

>

Discussion paper on review of local and regional media merger regime

>

OFT launches criminal investigation into suspected unlawful pyramid scheme

>

Self regulation and industry-led compliance

>

Don't lose out to the ticket touts advises Consumer Direct

>

OFT welcomes Court of Appeal Judgment in Foxtons case on Unfair terms

>

OFT refers Holland & Barrett / Julian Graves merger to the Competition Commission

>

OFT and Competition Commission Memorandum of Understanding

>

Contact the editor

>

Financial Services Strategy

The OFT has launched a consultation on its proposed financial services strategy which sets out its approach to the sector in response to the current economic crisis. Writing in today's Financial Times, Chief Executive John Fingleton makes the case for a careful balancing of effective financial sector regulation with strong competition.

>

OFT welcomes National Audit Office (NAO) report

The NAO report The Office of Fair Trading: Progress Report on Maintaining Competitive Markets published earlier this month concluded that the OFT has improved the value for money it provides, and has focused resources and raised its profile by taking strong, high profile action against anti-competitive behaviour.

>

Scams Awareness Month

rippon_100.jpgBacked by TV's Angela Rippon, February's Scams Awareness Month aimed to raise awareness of mass marketed scams, which cost the UK public £3.5billion a year. The OFT, Consumer Direct and our enforcement partners were busy throughout the month, and overall some 36 million people had opportunity to see or hear our messages via the media.

>

Payment Systems working better for consumers but more to be done, OFT finds

The time it takes for electronic bank payments and cheques to clear for consumers has speeded up but further improvements are needed, the OFT announced in its Review of the Payments Council. The Review has been carried out to look at how the Council is measuring up in making the payments industry work for consumers and businesses.

>

Website improvements

OFT website has a new section providing information about our current investigations and projects. This is part of the OFT's ongoing project to increase the transparency of its work.

We have also launched a new search engine which should ensure you get far better results. Using Google technology, search results are displayed in the Google format and can be ordered by relevancy or date.

>

Unarranged overdraft charges

The OFT welcomed the Court of Appeal's judgment in February that the unarranged overdraft charging terms for personal current accounts can be assessed under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations for fairness. The OFT has also announced that it is to streamline its investigation into unarranged overdraft charges by focusing on the terms of three banks in particular.

>

Market studies

The OFT has launched three new market studies:

The OFT will be consulting stakeholders shortly on its Market Study Guidance.

>

Consumer Credit

On the consumer credit front the OFT has taken action against 1st Credit Ltd requiring it to improve its debt collection practices, after an investigation found that some of its business processes and procedures failed to meet satisfactory standards.

The OFT has also sought the closure of 'look alike' debt advice websites posing as official or charity advice sites.

Additionally, the OFT has launched a consultation on draft guidance for businesses engaged in second charge lending.

bar.gif