• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFO (again)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

This is my first post and I could be a little naive so please treat me with care for now :-)

This is an account on my credit file from HFO with a default which "occurred" in 2007. There is a full outstanding balance of over £1000 of which I do not believe I owe and I have certainly never been contacted regarding this. I wrote numerous amounts of letters to HFO requesting they explain why, when and where etc but never received a response. I then did a little research and came up with this,

19th February 2009

Dear Sirs,

I am now beginning to grow tired of the constant unanswered communication. I have complied and gave you all the documentation you required by recorded delivery and now feel I am running out of options. Having checked the records I do not believe that my “default” occurred on

1st May 2007 is correct. I would therefore request the following

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 cheque in payment of the statutory fee

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

I would request that this data is provided to me within the next 28 days, if you are unable to provide this data then I must insist that it is removed from my files as unsubstantiated.

Best Regards

After sending this letter recorded delivery and noting that they did indeed recieve my letter I then sent this

23rd March 2009

Dear Sirs,

I write with reference of my last communication dated 19th February 2009 which was sent recorded delivery ref no. DW703866819GB and signed for within your office on 24th February 2009 (www.royalmail.co.uk)

I once again request that you supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. In my last communication that you received I supplied you with the statutory fee to cover the costs.

I also request a signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

May I also bring you attention that you are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

If you can not supply me with the above documentation I insist that you remove the false information you currently hold on my credit file with the varying licensed agencies with immediate effect.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

I will now allow a further 14 days for your response on this matter.

If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department.

Best Regards,

STILL NOTHING!!!

Now I after reading these forums I realise I may have made a mistake. Please can somebody help me as to what I can do now??

I just want this sorting ASAP and realise that HFO's name has occurred on many occasions on this forum although they have never demanded a single penny from me. Have I done anything wrong?

HELP!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send a formal complaint to their complaints department about non-responses to your requests and tell them if you do not received a reply within 7 days you will raise the matter in court as they are in gross and flagrant breach of the CUPTR 2008. All charges for your time, court expenses and substantial compensation will accrue to them and you will raise a complaint with the OFT under Section 9 of the Money Laundering Regulations if it transpires they do not have the paperwork pertaining to the alleged debt. I gaurantee you will get a reply.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

This no longer applies by the way the 'offence' bit was scrapped in 2007.....

Thank you for your response.

Am I correct in thinking that after a certain amount of time I can force the issue and have my information removed from their records and my credit file? OR have I done this wrong and have file a formal complaint?

I'm not exactly sure who the original creditor is...

I

have sent many letters to HFO all unanswered but signed for on recorded delivery. Then I thought I would go down the official route which now I fear I have done wrong. HFO placed the default on my record in 2007, I have had no notification, no demand for money or no communication from them regarding what this could be about.

I think you need to wait for a response. If there is none, you must complain to trading standards and the OFT, as Pinky and 42man have said. To record adverse information about you with credit reference agencies and then refuse to correspond with you about it is, I think, a pretty serious situation.

Merton and Surrey trading standards, as well as your own local TS, should be your first port of call.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that I am amazed. I have been really busy recently but set some time to one side for lunch to compose my complaints letter to Trading Standards and HFO but when I got home a response from HFO was waiting for me on the door mat. They have sent me a signed application form from myself on 1st March 2003 for a credit card. The pack also includes the terms and condition along with a closing account balance of the default balance showing on my credit file. Is this what I asked for and is this relevant?

I was also given warning that I should call them immediately to make a payment plan to avoid further charges. I will try and post all the letter on here when I get home later but I am very worried now, what should or can I do?

I must say that I am amazed. I have been really busy recently but set some time to one side for lunch to compose my complaints letter to Trading Standards and HFO but when I got home a response from HFO was waiting for me on the door mat. They have sent me a signed application form from myself on 1st March 2003 for a credit card. The pack also includes the terms and condition along with a closing account balance of the default balance showing on my credit file. Is this what I asked for and is this relevant?

I was also given warning that I should call them immediately to make a payment plan to avoid further charges. I will try and post all the letter on here when I get home later but I am very worried now, what should or can I do?

Does the date of the default raised by HFO match the default date from the original lender? If not then complain and threaten informing the ICO about it.

As I understand it they cant add further charges without taking you to court, you have no contract with them, they have purchased a lump sum debt.

S.

Sorry for the duplicate I wrong pasted my old message.

I can never actually recall receiving a default notice from Barclaycard what so ever???? I do remember having one in my student years but the account was not really used and the I have had no communication from them for years so I imagined the account was closed and never gave it a second thought until last month when I checked my credit file. To my horror there was a default there from HFO placed in 2007 for just over £1000 to which I have absolutely no memory of. It's all very scary as I don;t really have debt or know how to deal with these people.

Sorry for the duplicate I wrong pasted my old message.

I can never actually recall receiving a default notice from Barclaycard what so ever???? I do remember having one in my student years but the account was not really used and the I have had no communication from them for years so I imagined the account was closed and never gave it a second thought until last month when I checked my credit file. To my horror there was a default there from HFO placed in 2007 for just over £1000 to which I have absolutely no memory of. It's all very scary as I don;t really have debt or know how to deal with these people.

Ok first thing first then I'd scan the agreement, remove anything that is personal and then upload to here so we can see if it has the prescribed terms.

Secondly it might be worth doing a data protection request (a SAR) to Barclaycard for a) the default notice b) notice of assignment c) statements...

If the agreement is enforceable or if you just want to try and clear this debt down then there could be charges on the account you can claim back, the statements will show.

S.

OK so here we go, please follow this link

ImageShack® - Gallery

The signed document is poor on quality (as recieved) however if you click on the image and then close in it is pretty clear to read whats what. I also recieved a loadt of T&C's along with a 1 line "statement" saying how much I "owe" them. Hope this helps and thanks again for the help here!!

Oh well, even their letter to you admits it's only an application form! Look forward to seeing the T&Cs.

Have they not sent you any copies of Notices of Assignments or Default Notices?

Also, do you now remember anything about the alleged debt? As they haven't provided any statements, you have no way of knowing how the amount they claim is composed, so there's still a way to go in getting to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the response Donkey

I honestly thought that the account was closed in 2005/2006 with a balance of £0. It was a student card that I never really used so to see it on my credit file the other month was a shock to say the least.

So with them only sending me the application forms and lots of standard T&C's inc. CCA print out what are my options? I have not received any default notices or any statement to show why this is the case. I am really worried about this now and especially as this potentially could effect my credit rating until 2013 and I don’t know why?

I'm going to try and put a few hours into the forum to see if anybody else is in my position.

As 42man said, it may now be worth a subject access request to Barclaycard to request copies of all statements, defaults notices, etc, to see where the amount has come from (it costs £10 - see the standard letter in the templates). The alleged balance may be made up almost exclusively of charges, but you won't know until you ask. HFO should be able to provide this info but they actually never do.

If there was no default on your credit file from BC, I'm wondering what right HFO have to put one on there. The fact that you have had no correspondence and no default notice from Barclaycard, nor requests to settle, is a bit fishy - have you changed address since you had this account?

Can I ask - when was it opened and when it was last used

It clearly is not an agreement - even if it were it would be unenforceable - not signed by Barclays, abscence of prescribed terms etc...

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

The last time I think I used the account was late 2005 early 2006 at best... I believed there to be no balance and I certainly had received no communication to this effect. I have moved address in during this period but moved away from home where my Mum still lives so I know I would have had some post if indeed it was sent.

OK so this is what I am going to do thanks to the advice.

1 - Write a letter to HFO advising that I know nothing of the debt and again ask for the default documents, deed of assignment etc. (Maybe I can start with a template AGAIN?)

2 - Send SAR to Barclaycard to see what there response is.

With this in mind what actually is my position? OK I can find out if the debt was indeed my fault and if it was I will pay but these defaults etc. that have come out of the blue could ruin me for years. Also with no signature can they legally enforce this debt.

Sorry guys if I am coming across a bit needy with this, I am just so worried about this after years of a decent credit history. Beers on me at the end of this!

Letter 1 is a good idea, just update with a specific request for the documents they haven't provided, including proper fulfilment of your S78 CCA request and copies of default notices and notices of assignment, etc. Make it clear at the top of the letter 'I do not acknowledge any debt to your company'. Knowing this lot, they often start legal action the minute they have an application form in their hand, but you need to keep it in dispute - if they start legal action while you're disputing, it wouldn't look good for them. As ever, send everything recorded.

(Then HFO will start recreating all the documents they sent to you ages ago...)

Do the SAR as well, and ask for copies of ALL letters etc supposedly sent to you, including default notices, as well as all statements.

Incidentally, do you know how they got your new address?

Unfortunately you'll have to wait until you receive responses to these - BC have 40 days to respond. Until you have the data there's not a lot more can be done, other than watching your back I'm afraid.

The reason I asked about the account opening dates was to double check that we were working on the old rules. Fortunately you are.

I know I've said this already but you also need to make sure that you ask for the both assignment and NoA

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

• 2 weeks later...

What a hectic couples of weeks!!! Anyhoo with a nice bank holiday Monday free I did some research and came up with this. I aim to send this on 5th May so any advice please?

Dear sirs,

Thank for your letter and documentation dated 17th April. I must stress that I am slightly disappointed with your response as you have seemingly supplied none of the documents that I am legally entitled to.

An application form is not legally considered as credit agreement.

As you will be no doubt aware, the Copy Document Regulations requires that documents are easily legible and clearly the terms of the agreement are not easily legible, infact far from it. most of the document is blurred and cannot be interpreted.

The document sent purporting to be a credit agreement does not contain any of the prescribed terms as required by section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) made under the authority of the “1974 Act” sets out what the prescribed terms are, I refer you to Schedule 6 Column 2 of SI 1983/1553 for the definition of what is required. Suffice to say none of the terms are present in the document

Since this document does not contain the required prescribed terms it is rendered unenforceable by s127 (3) consumer Credit Act 1974.

I require you to produce a compliant copy of my credit agreement to confirm I am liable to you or any organisation, which you represent for this alleged debt, if you cannot do so I require written clarification that this is the case and all records of this “debt” removed from my credit file. Should you ignore this request I will report you to the Office of Fair Trading to consider your suitability to hold a credit licence in addition to a complaint to Trading Standards, as you will be in breach of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40. You are also in default of supplying me with the deed of assignment and the default notices as claimed within my first communication.

I respectfully request a response to this letter in 14 days

Kind Regards,