• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax SETTLED IN FULL

Lizzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lizzy,

I am around the same time as you, our halifax claim was 'acknowledged' by the halifax on the 12 July, so I am just sitting and waiting at present.

Another member (duncans-mum) who had her claim acknowledged the same day as me has had her money deposited into her account today, so fingers crossed we shouldnt be too long now!

14/06/06 Data Protection Act Sent to SPML

28/06/06 - Info / statements received from SPML

2/8/06 Pre Lim to SPML for £324.72

16/8/06 LBA to SPML

28/9/06 filed MCOL

defence filing date extended to 22/12/06

28/12/06 copy of defence received from sch

16/01/07 AQ filed with court

Just checked my account and there it is.....yipeeee £1155 (
they missed off the 10p but never mind)
I still need the charges though, but reading the posts here I think they come in the next couple of days, I will certainly not be letting them get away with it.

I did get the court papers saying they were going to defend in full so I never expected it yet.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I still need it, Birmingham Midshires Mortgage next.

I will be making a donation as soon as this has cleared on my credit card.

Hang in there everbody we are all doubting Thomas's at times.

LIZZY
:D

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

Sorry to start new thread but I could'nt change the title and I wanted everyone to know.
Just checked my account and there it is.....yipeeee £1155 (
they missed off the 10p but never mind)
I still need the charges though, but reading the posts here I think they come in the next couple of days, I will certainly not be letting them get away with it.

I did get the court papers saying they were going to defend in full so I never expected it yet.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I still need it, Birmingham Midshires Mortgage next.

I have made a donation from my Halifax account Ha Ha.

Hang in there everbody we are all doubting Thomas's at times.

LIZZY
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

Well done - don't update the court yet - not until you've had ALL of what's due to you, including all costs and interest (and daily rate from claim date to settlement if claimed).

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Partyboy, they ackowledged on the 25th of July, I then received the court papers saying they were going to defend in full.

Great timing for me both kids birthdays 19th and 21st August.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Partyboy, they ackowledged on the 25th of July, I then received the court papers saying they were going to defend in full.

Great timing for me both kids birthdays 19th and 21st August.

Congratulations Lizzy!!

Fingers crossed as I had mine acknowledged on the 25th as well and nothing yet. :D

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Proceedings issued....and acknowledged. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Counting down to the 21st....[/SIZE][/FONT] [URL="http://thebighub.co.uk"]http://thebighub.co.uk[/URL]

It seems they don't follow any kind of timescale.

I got a letter off them today which states

I have returned the form of acknowledgement of service to the Northampton County Court indicating that Halifax intends to defend our claim. However, on a purely commercial basis, it will cost the Halifax money to defend your claim in terms of the legal cost that will be incurred. It is unlikely that Halifax will be able to recover these costs (even if the bank wins) because your claim will probably be allocated to the small clams track, in which costs are not generally awarded.

For this reason, but without admission of liability, Halifax is willing to reimburse XXX in respect of the bank charges incurred, together with £xxxxx in respect of approximate interest that Halifax has calculated was charged on your account as a result of the charges.

Blah Blah Blah

with a note to reserve the right to close my account if I incurr any further charges (which I have).

Signed Emma Sheldon

SO THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT IS, KEEP IT IN THE SMALL CLAIMS AND GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

WELL DONE and CONGRATULATIONS LIZZY!!!

My moneyclaim was acknowledged on 27th July with the intention of defending in full..... so I am biting my nails, pulling out the grey hairs and counting down the 28 days !!!!

halifax: Data Protection Act sent 05.05.06

40 days up: 14.06.06 - no info received

sent lba 09.06.06 telling them they have 7 days (21.06.06) to comply

sent prelim letter, 22.06.06 - £4340.00!!

03.07.06 - offered £565 from Halifax

SENT LBA - 7TH JULY 2006

FILE MONEYCLAIM - 21.07.06!!

4.08.06 - ****** SETTLED IN FULL *******

Barclays: sent Data Protection Act 31.05.06

received some info 09.06.06, missing 3 years worth of statements- rang them, they now have 25 days to comply

sent prelim letter, 23.06.06 - £2520!!

SENT LBA - 11TH JULY 2006

20.07.06 - OFFER RECEIVED £900..... No Thanks!!

FILE MONEYCLAIM - 24.07.06

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks