• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax SETTLED IN FULL

Lizzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a very quick reply from my DPL. I'm not really sure they know what they are doing.

It said.

Dear Mrs ........

Request for information. Roll number (no mention of my account number anywhere on the letter).

Thank you for your letter requesting a complete list of transactions and charges on the above account.

I am currently processing your request and a copy of the information will be supplied to you as soon as possible but NO LATER THAN 15th APRIL 2006.

In the meantime, if you have any queries regarding your request, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sounds ok but the letter from them is dated the 20th APRIL so they are sending me the statements 5 DAYS BEFORE I ASKED FOR THEM. Very clever I think, they must have known it was coming hee hee.

As you have guessed no statements as yet but the 40 day countdown is now on........................

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

Don't be surprised if the reuest takes 45 days to process...considering they started 5 days early :rolleyes:

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

I have received my six years of bank statements. It is unclear what the charges are for as all that is stated is Charges as Notified.

There are three YEARS of charges of £5 a month, I have no idea what this is for and do not know if I should include them in my claim. It could be poss that it is an unauthorised overdraft fee as I was always in the minus position. This went from 2000 to 2003 then suddenly stopped. Of course I would like to include them in my claim, it's just that £5 each month is not a huge charge as of todays standards.

Any ideas ?

Thanks Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

I rang customer services. Without her taking any of my details she said the £5 a month was for an EXTRAS account!! when I asked what this was she said insurance, breakdown cover etc...........I had no idea I had it. Just goes to show how stupid I was, paying it without knowing. She said they stopped the account about 2 years ago.

Can't claim it then :Cry:

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

• 3 weeks later...

I have a claim with the Halifax for bank charges as you can see below.

What I wanted to know was can I claim for late mortgage payment charges against Birmingham Midshires for the last six years? these were about £35 a time which could add up to quite a bit.

The letters were along the lines of.........Because we have had to write to you a again a charge of £35 has been added to your account.

Is this the same as claiming BANK CHARGES ?

Regards Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have received a letter of the Halifax with all the usual waffle on it, but this paragraph grabbed my attention as the Halifax say the charges are not a penalty. What do you think ??

"I am sure you will appreciate that like other organisations we incur costs for every transaction made. When we pay an item against an unauthorised overdraft or return an item unpaid, we incur extra costs regardless of the shortfall involved. We believe it is fair to pass these costs on to the accounts affected, rather than absorb them into other areas of our operations, penalising all our other customers as a result"

ANOTHER INTERESTING PARAGRAPH

"The terms and conditions of your account state that you must have funds in your account to cover your transactions . We cannot be responsible if you have authorised payments against fund that were not available."

THEN WHY DO THEY PAY THEM WITH MONEY YOU HAVE NOT GOT !!!! THEN CHARGE YOU THE EARTH FOR IT.

Phew glad to get that off my chest
:)

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

"I am sure you will appreciate that like other organisations we incur costs for every transaction made. When we pay an item against an unauthorised overdraft or return an item unpaid, we incur extra costs regardless of the shortfall involved. We believe it is fair to pass these costs on to the accounts affected, rather than absorb them into other areas of our operations, penalising all our other customers as a result"

WTF if i am reading this right they are actually stating that you are paying for the costs for other areas in their operations ? and also stating that they are penalising you to pay for other peoples banking costs.

am i right in saying that is how it is written?

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

No I think what they are saying is they don't want anyone else to suffer because of my charges (fair enough) so they want me to pay (fair enough). I would not mind if the charges were reasonable and they stopped paying for things when I don't have money in the account and charging me.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Hi Lizzy take no notice of it just go ahead with your claim they are trying to put you off claiming

Good luck

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

ditto to mechs lizzy

just a waffle, chocolate, strawberry, maple??????????

nooooooooooo just waffle lol

I had exactly the same letter as we all did

just carry on

good luck

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

I got more or less the same letter this morning,

Im ignoring all the waffle about the charges incurred by Halifax.

Its your money, that they have stolen so demand it back.

Im sending an LBA to them on Monday so 14-16 days later I'll put the claim in.

Dont let them stall you for time either - get them to dance to your tune.

Good luck

Malcontent

Data Protection Act sent to Halifax 08/06/06

Halifax statements received 23/06/06

Halifax Account Charges = £603

Preliminary letter to Halifax sent 26/06/06

Time waste letter received 05/07/06

Halifax offered £130 08/07/06

LBA sent 13/07/06

Financial sadists play vicious games with money as a way of asserting their power over others.

Returning money they have already stolen undermines their security and is their weakness.

Now is the time to turn the thumbscrew on them.

Sorry I know I'm being thick, I have checked it but still don't understand it.

Where it says on money claim form

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% from (date )to (date) of £0000 IS THIS OF BIT THE 8% INTEREST (in my case £169.78 OR the amount of claim less the 8% (in my case £1155.10) OR both added together ??????

So sorry for this, need speedy answer as filling in claim now and don't want to get it wrong at this point and blow it.

Thanks

Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Hi Lizzy - it's just the calculated 8%

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

;) Fantastic thanks ..........................

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Filed Moneyclaim ref 6QZ45527 Guuuullllllllpppppppp

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Best of luck Lizzy

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

The Halifax have acknowledged my moneyclaim. Is this the same as defending ? anyone know what is likely to happen next? It was only yesterday and I have had nothing in the post.

Thanks Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Lizzy,

You will probably receive a letter from the courts saying that Halifax Ackowledged xx/07/2006 and intend to defend.

On Moneyclaim it was served as of 10/07/2006, Halifax Ackowledged on the 12/07/2006 and then a letter received 16/07/2006 telling me the above.

Cheers

Daniel

• Confused 1

20/06/06 - Prelim sent for £4041

22/06/06 - Standard Letter received from Halifax

25/06/06 - Call with offer of £465 - £1465 - declined

27/06/06 - LBA Sent for £4041

07/07/06 - MoneyClaim filed online

11/07/06 - Acknowledged / Intend to Defend

31/07/06 - Yippee.....I WON - SETTLED IN FULL

01/08/06 - Second Part of Claim Filed £4397

04/08/06 - Acknowledged by Halifax

09/08/06 - SETTLED IN FULL

10/07/06 - Egg Request for Statements

16/07/06 - Received past 6 Years Statements

16/07/06 - Total Charges - £960

19/07/06 - Prelim Letter Sent

10/07/06 - AA Visa Request for Statements

16/07/06 - Received past 6 Years Statements

16/07/06 - Total Charges - £280

19/07/06 - Prelim Letter Sent

27/07/06 - Offer of Goodwill £140, offer refused by phone

28/07/06 - LBA Sent

Lizzy, they ack mine as well yesterday, i will keep an eye on your threads

Halifax WON X 2, Northern Rock WON, Capital One WON, Marbles WON, HSBC WON

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

Thanks Danch.

TBeckett add your comments to my post if you like, you might get something before me and we can compare notes.

Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks