Is this bullying or what ?! Holidays forbidden

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I work in the public sector and my manager the other day distributed a memo concerning the taking of holidays by the staff.

Amongst other more commonly used and accepted rules there are also the following :

- No midweek periods can be booked (only Monday to Monday) for summer breaks

- no holidays at all can be booked from 14 March to end of April every year

- no odd days, midweek breaks or long week ends are allowed

The memo ends stating that these rules are non flexible or negotiable.

I thought these were terms enforced by employers centuries ago when slaves were in use. Being a public body should the employees and/or the trade unions not have been consulted first and should these conditions (if agreed) not have been shown and subsequently distributed to the employees in an official way (such as by the printing of the Suc&Such Txxst terms of employement) ?

Thanks for any advice.

LA means local authority.

To be honest in my experience, employers can "request" that holidays do not impact upon the business need, or are indeed taken during core business hours.

Although I find this request a little unreasonable it would be best to check your employment contract and the section that deals with holiday entitlement

Guest Old_andrew2018

you might look at your employers policy and procedure document, also check with your union,.

In addition you did not say who was the author of the memo, was it your manager who compiled the memo if so was it is compatible with the agreed policy, and did they have the authority to do so.

Apart from that as other contributors has mentioned it is not unreasonable to encourage people to plan their holiday.

There are many reason why folk need a day off at short notice like an appointment of some sort.

So i think taking such a hard line as is the case here is unreasonable.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

you might look at your employers policy and procedure document, also check with your union,.

In addition you did not say who was the author of the memo, was it your manager who compiled the memo if so was it is compatible with the agreed policy, and did they have the authority to do so.

Apart from that as other contributors has mentioned it is not unreasonable to encourage people to plan their holiday.

I work in an NHS Trust and it was my Manager who issued the memo.

I have a contract that I signed years ago , before two of the Trusts merged in the current one. No policy in the new organisation name has been made available since the merger.

A contract in the new name has not been issued to me but it would have been a simple case of "work transfer" I suppose, under the same terms or not ?

Anyway I struggle to understand how can anybody justify changes imposed without consultations with and/or compensation to the workforce.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Well IMHO you are covered by TUPE, so might I suggest contacting your trade union with a view to raising grievance, I expect your manager has exceeded his/her authority.

Andy

Edited by old_andrew2007
typo