MIstaken Identity help and advice...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Any help and advice would be graley appreciated.

I received a letter from "revenue protecion support services" claiming that I was invloved in fare dodging! (railway) I have been sent a notice to pay up money or I will be taken to court!

However I was not invloved in any fare dodging at all, someone is using my details to get away with this and I am having to deal with the costs! I can prove it was not me because I was at work when the alleged incident took place.

But what do i write to them! and what can I do to ensure I dont get these letters, is there a way I can claim for anything because it is causing me distress?

Also this is not the first time this has happened to me. ln 2007 I received a similar letter from them.

I have attached a word document of what I have written so far, can someone please advise me on this issue and how to go about dealing with this.

Thank you

claphamforum.doc

Hello All,

I received a letter from "revenue protecion support services" claiming that I was invloved in fare dodging! (railway) I have been sent a notice to pay up money or I will be taken to court!

However I was not invloved in any fare dodging at all, someone is using my details to get away with this and I am having to deal with the costs! I can prove it was not me because I was at work when the alleged incident took place.

But what do i write to them! and what can I do to ensure I dont get these letters, is there a way I can claim for anything because it is causing me distress?

Also this is not the first time this has happened to me. ln 2007 I received a similar letter from them.

I have attached a word document of what I have written so far, can someone please advise me on this issue and how to go about dealing with this.

Thank you

I've had a look at your letter and you are, very understandably, upset, however I'd leave it till Monday and then try and edit out some of the high expressed emotion

I do very little but I do it very, very well :cool:

If I've helped give my scales a click

:smile:

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

I agree with you tendogs the letter needs a bit of editting although having been the victim of faud myself (my bank account was completely emptied last year) I can understand the frustration and anger. Maybe someone will come up with some better phrasing. DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Maybe something like this: -

Dear Sirs,

I received your letter dated 31st March 2009 and note your comments.

This is the second time you have accused me of this offence, I refer you to 7th March 2007 when I was initially a victim of mistaken identity. I have not, as yet, received a response regarding the initial accusation.

I did not travel from -------- to --------- on the ---- February 2009, I have evidence to that effect and I put you to strict proof that your accusation has any substance.

I will allow you 7 days to respond to this letter. If I have not received a reply by 4pm on the 14 April 2009 I will instruct my solicitor in this matter.

• Haha 1

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

Thank you tendogs for doing that letter. It looks good. I guess I was emotional when typing it myself,

I was even thinking of adding a few swear words to those */£%&

What if they say get a solicitor? I cant offord one, do you reckon they will drop the case?

I would have thought that whoever is claiming to be you would have signed something. You could also ask for a proof of signature (just to see if they have one.) It is up to them to prove it was you - as you say you have proof that it wasn't. DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Hello All,

Thank you

Chill out and look at this logically:

Where were you when they say you dodged the fare?

Were you with a witness or witnesses? Were you at work? At the doctors 50 miles away? At the pub? etc etc

If so, I suggest you just laugh, ask your witness(es) to sign Statement of Truths to the effect that you were at xx at xx time on xx day and let them take you to court.

Then go out to dinner on the costs you'll get awarded.

Its really that simple if you have an alibi. You have nothing whatoever to worry about - least of all some muppet jobsworth taking you to court then getting themselves tin-tacked for stupidity.

In knowledge lies wisdom

Mo - not even a bar-stool lawyer, but I'll help where I can...

Chill out and look at this logically:

Where were you when they say you dodged the fare?

Were you with a witness or witnesses? Were you at work? At the doctors 50 miles away? At the pub? etc etc

If so, I suggest you just laugh, ask your witness(es) to sign Statement of Truths to the effect that you were at xx at xx time on xx day and let them take you to court.

Then go out to dinner on the costs you'll get awarded.

Its really that simple if you have an alibi. You have nothing whatoever to worry about - least of all some muppet jobsworth taking you to court then getting themselves tin-tacked for stupidity.

Cheers for the advice makes me feel better. I was at work at the time of the incident. Sorry for my ignorence, where do I get the statement of truths from? is this a document I type myself and get the witnesses to sign it?

also get statement from your employer covering that you was @ work etc @ the time of the incident,showing start time / finish time and the location of your workplace, also if you drove to work etc , or put down how you travel to and from work, you cant be in 2 places at the same time

Cheers for the advice makes me feel better. I was at work at the time of the incident. Sorry for my ignorence, where do I get the statement of truths from? is this a document I type myself and get the witnesses to sign it?

I'll have a go for you, but others may do better:

Witness Name

Witness Address

STATEMENT OF TRUTH

I (witness name) solemnly swear that (your name) of (your address) was in my company between the hours of (as applicable) on (date) at (Employers name, Address)

If needed I am willing to attend court in this matter as a witness for (your name)

Signed

(witness signature)

Date

Witness to Signature

(Signature Witness signature)

Date

Witness to signature name and address:

As mentioned by Kip above, a letter from your employer will more than likely do just as well, but as in all things legal, better safe than sorry so try and get a couple of workmates AND the employers letter.

Then just sit and wait for them to make (expensive) prats of themselves :)

In knowledge lies wisdom

Mo - not even a bar-stool lawyer, but I'll help where I can...

I'll have a go for you, but others may do better:

Witness Name

Witness Address

STATEMENT OF TRUTH

I (witness name) solemnly swear that (your name) of (your address) was in my company between the hours of (as applicable) on (date) at (Employers name, Address)

If needed I am willing to attend court in this matter as a witness for (your name)

Signed

(witness signature)

Date

Witness to Signature

(Signature Witness signature)

Date

Witness to signature name and address:

As mentioned by Kip above, a letter from your employer will more than likely do just as well, but as in all things legal, better safe than sorry so try and get a couple of workmates AND the employers letter.

Then just sit and wait for them to make (expensive) prats of themselves :)

Thank you for the letter. I really appreciate everyones help.

What a nice forum where people go out of their way to help:-)

Morning Upset786 see how many people are on your side :). The forum tends to populate with members who have strong levels of empathy.

There are a number of community based legal services that can help if you need them but just hang on until you hear back from RPSS before you take further action.

Remember that the burden of proof is with them, you do not have to prove anything.

I think it's always a good idea to keep your cards close to your chest, to date you've told them everything they need to know, i.e. you did not do it, you can prove it and you require them to provide proof to the contrary.

And, above all, remember that it's not personal and that you're revving yourself up to do battle with some minimum wage monkey at RPSS (who doesn't care anyway) when there are far more important things to do with your life.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Not so long ago I received a letter from Debt Recovery and Prosecution Services claiming I was involved in dodging rail fare... Anyhow with help from generous members on this forum ('tendogs' 'Last of the Mohicans') I wrote to them and got myself witness statements made.

It has been 3 weeks and I have not yet received any response from them. On their letter they were threatning me to take me to court, now I dont hear anything from them.

Is it best to leave it or should I write to them again?

I think that you should chase it very hard to make sure it is cleared up.

I would chase them at 7 day intervals by recorded delivery and if you hear nothing in 2 weeks then send them an SAR.

You don't want this kind of thing hanging over you

I think that you should chase it very hard to make sure it is cleared up.

I would chase them at 7 day intervals by recorded delivery and if you hear nothing in 2 weeks then send them an SAR.

You don't want this kind of thing hanging over you

Thanks for the advice, I will write to them again. How do I go about getting a Subject Access request done?

Is this a general form of some sort?

Cheers