Cheque Issue

Wheelbarrowboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to clear a lot of debt and I recently sent around 14 £1.00 cheques to various creditors along with a letter to say I could only afford to pay £1 a month. This took me around 7 hours to sort out with the various letters and envelopes to sort out. I've checked my bank this morning and was suprised to see a cheque for £100 had cleared out of my account, along with all the £1 cheques.

I visited my local branch only for them to show me a photo of the cheque on their system. In the box in the cheque where you write the amount, it looks as if I have written £100 rather than £1.00. Either I forgot to put a dot (unlikely) or it is just very faint. However, I did write one pound only on amount payable line and the letter clearly states that I only wanted to pay a pound.

The bank are saying it is my fault as it looks like £100 and the creditor is refusing to give it back as I owe them more than that. It has left me with no money for the next week and I'm not sure exactly who I should be chasing for this.

Does anyone know what I can do? Surely if I wrote one pound only, thats got to count for something.

Any advice will be welcomed

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to clear a lot of debt and I recently sent around 14 £1.00 cheques to various creditors along with a letter to say I could only afford to pay £1 a month. This took me around 7 hours to sort out with the various letters and envelopes to sort out. I've checked my bank this morning and was suprised to see a cheque for £100 had cleared out of my account, along with all the £1 cheques.

I visited my local branch only for them to show me a photo of the cheque on their system. In the box in the cheque where you write the amount, it looks as if I have written £100 rather than £1.00. Either I forgot to put a dot (unlikely) or it is just very faint. However, I did write one pound only on amount payable line and the letter clearly states that I only wanted to pay a pound.

The bank are saying it is my fault as it looks like £100 and the creditor is refusing to give it back as I owe them more than that.

Words and figures do not match so why did the bank accept a cheque for 100 pounds when you WROTE "ONE POUND ONLY"?

It has left me with no money for the next week and I'm not sure exactly who I should be chasing for this.

Does anyone know what I can do? Surely if I wrote one pound only, thats got to count for something.

Any advice will be welcomed

If the words and figures do not match then the cheque is INVALID so either they are going to sort out the cheque or they are going to re credit you £99.

Bank are talking utter nonsense. Ask them to sort it out or you can take it to the ombudsman who WILL agree with you.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Or you can take the advice of this forum about the "ombudsman ". Again this is utter garbage and whoever decided to implement it is a fool.

For the most part, don't bother.

The Ombudsman is an industry arranged service which is under-resourced, takes too long, lacks clear transparency.

The FOS is the preferred complaints route for the banking industry.

The county court is to be preferred by consumers for its speed, openness, the quality of its awards and also because it will award 8% interest on top of any damages won by you.

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gif

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

yet another reason for sending the recommended postal orders .

But still doesn't help the OP get £99 albeit the hindsight of it will be sticking in the throat for every day it takes to sort this problem out.

Apologies if it seems harsh but hindsight doesn't sort out the original poster's problem.

yep you are right, my apologies, V bad day

I can certainly sympathise with you on that score.