BT Cancellation Charge £96 - Right/Wrong?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I would like to ask for some advice regarding a telecoms issue that My Girlfriend and I are in.

We signed upto BT on the 30st March 2009 at about 9am (online). We accepted the terms and conditions without reading thoroughly and expected that we could cancel IF the other providor pulled their act together.

BT Emailed at 9.15am on the 30th of March to explain that they contact us within 3 working days to confirm phone number, line activation date and if we need an Engineer.

Today (3rd April) we receive a letter from BT stating that the line went active on the 2nd of April. On the back of one of the letters BT state that we can cancel, but we have to pay £96! This is unbelievable as we had no idea that this would happen this way.

Can they get away with this charge? with less than 4 days since ordering.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Were both really upset at the charge.

Nick

The time-frame they provide is the MAXIMUM period allowed for service provision and is often bettered (as you discovered)! You'll be committed to a minimum term of 12 months and the £96 fee looks as though it is an early termination charge.

I don think they've done anything wrong here - you wanted a line, arranged for it and they pulled out the stops to get you connected.