Debt Collectors / Bailiffs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey

If I have had a CCJ filed against me and someone comes round to my house saying they have a warrent to levy the goods in my property, do i have to let them in?

They haven't given me a chance to pay anything and I wasn't even aware that a CCJ had been given - although i was aware that it was at the court stage.

I didn't let him in as I wasn't sure what I should and shouldn't do.

Please help.

Littlewoods - CCA'd 09/02/09

they could well be lying to you about the CCJ

I know-incredible-a DCA being economical with the truth-if it is in fact a DCA

you have got to find out if in fact court action was ever taken......if it was a court bailiff who arrived,he would have had a warrant of execution to serve on you......

you have to put this to proof before anything else happens.Get the proof

what are the complete circumstances so someone might be able to help?

I say 'no', you don't need to let them in. IIRC a bailiff can only seize goods if you have failed to meet your obligations under a CCJ, and the creditor has been back to court to enforce? I'm sure someone will clarify it shortly.

Well I have a similar problem to this.

Yesterday a high court bailiff came to my house saying they have a warrant on my address concerning a neighbour who has absolutely nothing to do with me and has never lived here!!

The debt of the neighbour has nothing to do with me, I barely know them!

The bailiff demanded that I show documentary evidence to prove I am not the neighbour saying if i refused they would come back with the police!

I showed the bailiff a bill with my name on it but I am still really worried that they will come back and try to enter my home and take my possessions!

What should I do if this happens to stop them?

Well I have a similar problem to this.

Yesterday a high court bailiff came to my house saying they have a warrant on my address concerning a neighbour who has absolutely nothing to do with me and has never lived here!!

The debt of the neighbour has nothing to do with me, I barely know them!

The bailiff demanded that I show documentary evidence to prove I am not the neighbour saying if i refused they would come back with the police!

I showed the bailiff a bill with my name on it but I am still really worried that they will come back and try to enter my home and take my possessions!

What should I do if this happens to stop them?

I hoped you asked for proof of their identity. :eek:

This sounds very suspicious indeed - almost certainly a [problem] of some kind. Possibly a debt collector just getting proof of your ID.

A High Court Bailiff will know if they have the right address or not.

Unfortunately the days of harmless sales reps or JW's knocking on your door are dead and gone. You should treat everyone with suspicion and if they do not have proof of their ID and make their intentions perfectly clear, just close the door. Don't be afraid to call your local Police Station if you feel it is the right thing to do in the circumstances (not 999). Keep a note of their number near the 'phone.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Can I just add on to this about bailiffs and addresses.

My neighbour had a visit from 2 smartly dressed chaps, they knocked on his door and put a card through.

I told my neighbour when he came home from work.

It turns out they had the correct number but the wrong street.

They needed the next street up and the road names are not in the slightest bit similar.

So yes bailiffs do make mistakes.

Regards

David