Barclays business hell!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am fuming with Barclays. They have messed up more issues than imaginably possible with my 3 small business accounts. A short transcript is here;

When accounts opened (January 2008), internet banking not provided - despite making clear to the manager that it is a necessity due to my being disabled. I had to call to set this up. No compensation given.

When accounts opened, debit cards not provided on two of them. Had to call to rectify. No compensation given.

June 2008: 2 cheques deposited on Friday afternoon. Normally cheques show up as deposited immediately but the balance isn't available till they clear. Monday night I checked the account and the deposit wasn't showing up. Tuesday I called Barclays and they found that the cheques had been left in the drawer as there was a fault with the computer the person who took the transaction was using. Eventually sorted out after no small amount of hassle. Currently with the FOS and expecting £150, as apparently business can't claim compensation for stress and aggravation.

January 2008 till January 2009: When I opened the accounts, I entered into an agreement for the stupid Business Essentials & Backup packages. The agreement was misrepresented to me. I sued. The District Judge dismissed the claim - with no costs thank god - as I had signed the contract. I disagree with his ruling but an appeal would be too risky and expensive, so cutting my losses. The irony is that Barclays wanted £334 in alleged costs (£250 for the Barrister who showed up) and the claim without the hearing fee was for a few quid less than that and I would have accepted even less. Thankfully they didn't get costs.

April 2008: My business bank "manager" was apparently changed. I first found this out during the complaints regarding the cheque botch ups. I was never introduced by this dimwit who has since been one of the biggest idiots on the face of the planet!

February 2009: I ordered a new chequebook for one of my business accounts. It didn't arrive and shortly afterwards 6 cheques totalling over £30k tried to go out of the account. I have never written a cheque for more than a few hundred pounds. Most likely the chequebook was stolen. They cancelled the rest of the chequebook. Thankfully I was not charged for the bounced cheques. Had I been they accepted I would have received a refund. The letters from the business bank "manager" stated that the cheques had been stopped as they were reported stolen and then stated "We suggest you contact the beneficiary to arrange an alternate method of payment." Need I explain how stupid this sounds? No compensation.

February to March 2009: The Business Essentials & Backup packages were a 12 month contract with a 30 day notice period. Before and during the proceedings I insisted that the services be cancelled. I hadn't had a full copy of the contract till the proceedings so didn't know the cancellation clause till I studied the contract before scanning in a copy of the whole proceedings and shredding it. Just to make sure I faxed Barclays. They accepted to cancel it with effect from then but insisted on charging me for March 2009 as it was in the 30 day notice period. I complained. They refused to accept my complaint. I issued proceedings for the refund of those 2 payments (separate transactions) plus interest on 30th March. Including the court fee that was £53.06 with interest at the date of issue.

March 2009: A colleague went in and conducted a few transactions on my behalf. One of them was a deposit of £18 so that a £200 very important cheque would clear. I checked online banking 20 minutes later and found that they had deposited £2 instead of £18 (had I not noticed the cheque would have bounced and I would have been in trouble!). So I called and eventually - after 20 minutes on the phone - it was rectified. They refused compensation. I lodged a complaint with the FOS before I found out that compensation is not payable where there is no financial loss to businesses - however small. Either way they'll lose £500 for the case fee thankfully.

This is besides for a heck of a lot of small errors on my personal account, most of which have given me compensation of about £20-£30.

The most recent: February 2009: I have a basic account with a cashcard (not debit card). I sent a friend to try and withdraw funds on a Thursday night - and there were funds in the account - and it showed up that there were funds in the account, but for some reason refused to allow a withdrawal. He tried 5 machines that normally worked. Friday morning first thing I called and found out that there was a system error and at the time I called things were sporadic, but should work, if not I'd have to go into the branch to make the withdrawal. Needless to say, it didn't work! Even the branch machine didn't work. I went into the branch where they denied it was their machines and claimed it must have been my card despite their being nothing visibly wrong with it and it showing the correct balance. They ordered me a new card. On the Monday, I used the old card and it worked! So obviously it was a system problem. Received new card. Lodged complaint and waiting for decision, received acknowledgment letter. I had to go to branch in taxi, and it's my personal account so compensation should be paid and if they don't it's to the FOS to get them incurring another £500.

Now onto the most recent hellish experience that has prompted this post. I received a letter today from the business bank "manager" - dated 26th March 2009 - whom I have requested several times to be replaced, as what real business bank manager get's changed without sending an introductory letter or calling to introduce himself? No normal one! It says: "We hereby give notice that in 1 month from today's date, that is at the close of business 26th April 2009, your Company's account(s) with us will be closed and the banker/customer contract between us terminated." It gives no reason.

One of the "benefits" of the Business Essentials and Backup packages was that after the 12 month contract an additional 6 months free business banking is given. Also, due to the internet banking botchup at the start, I have another month free business banking. These will expire in August 2009. So I'll lose 3 months.

It's not so easy to get a new business bank account. My company secretary would have to come to sign, and he doesn't work for me, but is a friend. I opened accounts with RBS a few months ago, but there are drawbacks to the accounts and I have loads to sort out with it that I don't have patience for. I am disabled - though getting better slowly - and have been going through intensive physiotherapy that I have twice a week which knocks me out for the rest of the day. I also have too much to do of stuff that is annoying and not making me money, besides trying to make money - which is not so easy in the current environment.

Is there anything I can do to get a nice amount of compensation from Barclays or a court claim I can issue against them that I'll win? Any constructive ideas would be much appreciated.

I have called Barclays and spoken to somebody in Customer Relations who first insisted I speak to the dimwit business bank "manager". When I made my complaints clear he promised to get the dimwit business bank "manager's" supervisor to call me. I'm not holding my breath though!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)