Please Help-im getting letters from Rockwell

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5495 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from a debt collectors called Rockwell demanding a nearly £4000 for a debt I have never new I had! They are claiming that they are collecting the debt on behalf of Natwest but the only debt that i have with them that’s on my credit report is £300 which no –one has chased for years.

I have moved around a lot since 2002 when this dept was made – I haven’t made any payments to them or had any contact with any debt collectors or paid any debt since 2009.

Can I claim this debt event though I don’t know how they came up this amount statute bared?

Also can debt collectors come round to your house and take your possessions or do they need to write to you in person first?

I have had some people knocking at my door im to scared to answer as I don’t know who they are and if they will try and threaten me?

All I owe is £300 and somehow they have turned that into nearly £4000 that really scared me seeing as I have had no contact since 2002.

Also should any outstanding debt be listed on your credit report/history because I have nothing outstanding on that?

I hope you are able to help me.

Many thanks.

Send them this;

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I wish to point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

I should also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

Yours faithfully

Print Name do not sign

I have received a letter from a debt collectors called Rockwell demanding a nearly £4000 for a debt I have never new I had! They are claiming that they are collecting the debt on behalf of Natwest but the only debt that i have with them that’s on my credit report is £300 which no –one has chased for years.

I have moved around a lot since 2002 when this dept was made – I haven’t made any payments to them or had any contact with any debt collectors or paid any debt since 2009.

Can I claim this debt event though I don’t know how they came up this amount statute bared?

Also can debt collectors come round to your house and take your possessions or do they need to write to you in person first?

I have had some people knocking at my door im to scared to answer as I don’t know who they are and if they will try and threaten me?

All I owe is £300 and somehow they have turned that into nearly £4000 that really scared me seeing as I have had no contact since 2002.

Also should any outstanding debt be listed on your credit report/history because I have nothing outstanding on that?

I hope you are able to help me.

Many thanks.

Ok festivaltime, deep breath time... the DCA can shout/scream/cry send letters and phone and thats about it I'm afraid... to send bailiffs in they will need to obtain a court order and then you would have to default paying that necessitating them returning to court to get a warrant for a balliff to visit and that wont happen on a stat barred debt.

Send the stat barred letter above and just ignore any threats they may send at you

They should not come to your house without your permission,see this link for information about a DCA who says they are going to visit,although it is usually an empty threat.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/591-dca-home-visit-if-you-receive-or-are-threatened-with-a-doorstep-visit-.html

Did you mean that you haven't made a payment since 2002,you typed 2009?

They have no power at all so they shouldn't scare you and they cannot take any of your possessions without an order from the court,the chance of this with a statute barred debt is a big fat zero.

Stop worrying about their threats,they can shout as much as they like but statute barred is statute barred .

Edited by westendwendy