'thegfb vs Sainsburys Bank - PPI'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Only over the past week or so have I realised how I am owed potentially thousands of pounds by NatWest for missold PPI. See here for the start of the process: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/192051-do-i-have-case.html

Well, going through some paperwork last night I found the original agreement of a personal loan I took out for £5300 with Sainsburys Bank (Citibank) back in May 2004, and settled in March 2008. When I took out the loan (did it online) I chose 'BRONZE' PPI cover (I honestly cannot remember if it was an opt out or opt in), however in small letters on the agreement it says I chose the 'SILVER' cover which I am adamant I did not! :mad: I know, I know I should have read it at the time and I am a complete doughnut for not doing so, but the fact remains that someone changed it from my choice.

I can't believe this. I recall that the success rate of claiming against missold PPI from online dealings is very low. Do you think a SAR to Citibank is the way forward on this one too?

thegfb vs Natwest PPI - WON - £5.5k refunded October 2011 :-D

thegfb vs Sainsburys Bank PPI - referred to FOS 15/09/2011, WON - £2.7k refunded February 2013 :wink:

thegfb vs Capital One PPI - Complaint sent September 2012, dragging their heels :roll:

ongoing...

------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your advice so far :D

Don't have a great amount of experience with PPI claims but yes a SAR is the way to go. Sooner you get that in the post the better.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

All ready to go now, just gotta stick a postal order in and send off with my NatWest one too. I am feeling militant, but cautious :)

Edit -

Subject Access Request sent, let's see what happens now.

Edited by thegfb

thegfb vs Sainsburys Bank PPI - referred to FOS 15/09/2011, WON - £2.7k refunded February 2013 :wink:

thegfb vs Capital One PPI - Complaint sent September 2012, dragging their heels :roll:

ongoing...

I have just remembered something else on this - the reason this loan was attractive to me at the time was the fact that I was off work sick with stress at the time, and I did not have to make any payments for 3 months after taking out the money. I felt this would give me a chance to get back on my feet again (which it did).

However, I get the feeling from reading about that if I did ever try to claim if I lost earnings through stress again, then I would not be covered? It's a long time ago and I'm struggling to remember but I am sure that if the website had made this point obvious then I wouldn't have purchased the PPI?

ongoing...

• 3 weeks later...

Sainsbury's bank have just sent me a letter acknowledging my SAR, and assuring me that they will be sending me the relevant info within the 40 days. They have also asked me to call them (:roll:) so they can fully discuss my needs with them and meet my request in full.

To be honest, my letter was the standard template full SAR for PPI from this site, and it's pretty unambiguous. I will not be calling them and keep all further communication in writing only.

The letter also says they are not obliged to send copies of paperwork that is not part of a relevant filing system - this sounds like total crap to me? :confused:

It seems they have pre-empted where this is going too since they have sent me a little 'how to complain' leaflet and a load of patronising literature about their responsibilities to the customer etc... :-D

ongoing...

Sainsbury's bank have just sent me a letter acknowledging my SAR, and assuring me that they will be sending me the relevant info within the 40 days. They have also asked me to call them (:roll:) so they can fully discuss my needs with them and meet my request in full.

To be honest, my letter was the standard template full SAR for PPI from this site, and it's pretty unambiguous. I will not be calling them and keep all further communication in writing only.

The letter also says they are not obliged to send copies of paperwork that is not part of a relevant filing system - this sounds like total crap to me? :confused:

It seems they have pre-empted where this is going too since they have sent me a little 'how to complain' leaflet and a load of patronising literature about their responsibilities to the customer etc... :-D

Unless you can record the phone conversation, don't phone them, what they say could be completely to what they do and there will be no record.

• Haha 1

They are using this extract from the Data Protection Act 1998,

Part I Preliminary

1 Basic interpretative provisions

(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—

• “data” means information which—
    (a)
    is being processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose,

(b)
    is recorded with the intention that it should be processed by means of such equipment,

©
    is recorded as part of a relevant filing system or with the intention that it should form part of a relevant filing system, or

(d)
    does not fall within paragraph (a), (b) or © but forms part of an accessible record as defined by section 68;

You can bet all your data will be recorded and if it is then it surely must be filed either electronically, in paper format scanned and kept on CD, scanned and put on microfische all of these IMO would be classed as relevant filing systems. It is just a little input to try and put you off getting all the information. If they fail to provide you with what you want the hit them with a non compliance letter and complain to the Information Commissioners Office.

You could actually point out that if your data is not part of a relevent filing system that they are in breach of the DPA 1998 by not handling and storing it correctly IMO.

aa

Edited by alanalana
text added

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thank you, will await to see what they actually come up with and keep you updated :)

ongoing...

Just a thought - should they not send me my information on the basis that I will not phone them, if I make a subsequent complaint to ICO will that go against me that I did not call them?

Should I send a letter anyway to say I am only prepared to enter into written communication, and to contest their stance on the 'relevant filing system' cop out?

I am feeling very bullish today :eek::-D

ongoing...

Just a thought - should they not send me my information on the basis that I will not phone them, if I make a subsequent complaint to Information Commissioners Office will that go against me that I did not call them? (No if you have copies of all your correspondence that is what the ICO will require. You send letter they receive letter they have 40 days they fail to produce good you complain. ICO will look at complaint and decide on appropriate action)

Should I send a letter anyway to say I am only prepared to enter into written communication, and to contest their stance on the 'relevant filing system' cop out? (Always worth sending letters it lets them know you are not going away)

I am feeling very bullish today :shock::grin:

It is important to keep up the pressure. The banks generally sit back leaving everything to the deadline date or beyond.

You should be in the driving seat. It took me 12 months to get a success.

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Right, work is quiet so time to start writing another letter whilst I am in the mood for it :)

ongoing...

Right, just sent this off. Hope it's not too 'aggressive'.

My address

Their address

20th April 2009

Dear Sir/Madam

DSAR Reference Number: xxxxxx

Thank you for your correspondence dated 17th April 2009 with regard to the above reference.

In response to your request to me to make contact with you by telephone, I will not enter into any communication with you other than in written format because of the necessity for me to be able to record and account for all interactions. Moreover, my initial written request is unambiguous in what I require from you and should require no clarification. If you do need any points clarified, please contact me in writing.

Additionally, in response to your comment ‘Sainsbury’s Bank plc is not obliged to supply records held in paper format if they do not form part of a relevant filing system’. I feel this is not pertinent to my request, since as a data controller you have a legal obligation under the Data Protection Act 1998 to ensure all personal information held on individuals is handled and stored correctly.

I look forward to receipt of the information requested, within the 40 day allowance under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Yours faithfully

thegfb

Does it sound ok? I don't actually expect to 'gain' anything from this letter since they did already state that they will send me the SAR information, but I am letting them know I'm not a pushover ;)

ongoing...

That is fine thegfb its to the point which is all you need to do .

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so today Sainsbury's Bank have replied to my SAR response letter. They say all the data is ready to send, but because my current address doesn't match what they have on file (which is right) that they need me to provide them with a copy of a recent utility bill, and a copy of either my passport or driving licence.

I know that they have to be satisfied that they are dealing with the right person, but can they withhold the information from me on this basis? Do they even have the right? I don't like the idea of them having access to these documents of mine.

Regardless of this, because I am renting with family I don't have any utility bills addressed to me that I could even send them anyway.

On top of all this, they were happy to deal with me in the first instance but now they finally decide that they need proof of who I actually am?

Advice is appreciated as usual, thanks :D

Edited by thegfb

ongoing...

Ok so today Sainsbury's Bank have replied to my Subject Access Request response letter. They say all the data is ready to send, but because my current address doesn't match what they have on file (which is right) that they need me to provide them with a copy of a recent utility bill, and a copy of either my passport or driving licence.

I know that they have to be satisfied that they are dealing with the right person, but can they withhold the information from me on this basis? Do they even have the right? I don't like the idea of them having access to these documents of mine.

Regardless of this, because I am renting with family I don't have any utility bills addressed to me that I could even send them anyway.

On top of all this, they were happy to deal with me in the first instance but now they finally decide that they need proof of who I actually am?

Advice is appreciated as usual, thanks :grin:

Because the data is protected they are right to request proof of identity if your address is different. Imagine how miffed you would be if you private and personal data went to the wrong person. It has happened several times on this site.

If you are unable to scan and copy yourself there will lots of places that will run you off a copy of your driving licence or passport for a few pence.

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Oh yes I would be. However, I would have thought that checking if it was really me would have been one of the first things I would have done, not the last :rolleyes:

I read ICO website briefly, and as I understand it the 40 days begins from when they confirm ID... if this true then it sounds like a stalling tactic to ask me right before the initial 40 days is up.

Thanks for your reply again alanalana :)

ongoing...

Oh yes I would be. However, I would have thought that checking if it was really me would have been one of the first things I would have done, not the last :rolleyes:

I read Information Commissioners Office website briefly, and as I understand it the 40 days begins from when they confirm ID... if this true then it sounds like a stalling tactic to ask me right before the initial 40 days is up.

Thanks for your reply again alanalana :-)

Because they are losing massively they will use every tactic they can to hang on to every penny they can for as long as possible.

I have even seen it in the light of trying to tie up my late Dads estate. Halifax, quote "the Cheque will be forwarded tomorrow" this was on Wednesday 6th would have expected post on the 7th still nothing.

Total bunch of rhymes with bankers to use a well known caggers name.

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Ok thanks for your continued help and support alanalana. Gonna fire them off a letter asking what is acceptable as a substitute for a utility bill that I don't have. Watch this space :cool:

ongoing...

• 2 weeks later...

They have replied, saying that since I cannot supply a utility bill they therefore need a copy of a document with my signature on it. Sounds a bit suspicious, but I suppose I could photocopy the counterpart of my driving licence and send that.

ongoing...

They have replied, saying that since I cannot supply a utility bill they therefore need a copy of a document with my signature on it. Sounds a bit suspicious, but I suppose I could photocopy the counterpart of my driving licence and send that.

Make sure the signature you provideon the photocopy of your driving licence is given an identifying mark over and above your usual signature. Perhaps a dot in one area of the signature that only you will be aware of but as you say it does seem to be suspicious.

The main aim of the game is not to give them a true copy of your regular signature that they could use for their own gain.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 1 year later...

My PPI complaint letter was sent to HBOS, and I have received a rather prompt (:shock:) reply today saying they cannot trace the details of the loan on the agreement number I have given.

It exists, and when my DSAR stuff came back I got a copy of the CCA and also the statement of payments.

Would I be foolish to send a copy of the CCA back to prove it exists?

Any advice on best way to proceed is appreciated thanks :)

ongoing...

In the end I decided to keep hold of any documents I had in case they were on a fishing trip, this is what I sent back:

Bank of Scotland

PO Box 761

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS1 9JF

13 May 2011

Your reference: xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated 11 May 2011.

Please be reassured that the details I put in my original correspondence regarding the loan agreement number are correct.

To reiterate; the agreement number is xxxxxxx. The loan was taken out with Sainsburys Bank in May 2004.

I understand that Sainsburys Bank is part of HBOS and as such this is why my initial correspondence has been directed to you. If there is an alternative address that is more appropriate for my complaint to be addressed to please can you inform me of this in writing.

Your ongoing cooperation is appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

thegfb

Just out of interest, I went to the Sainsburys Bank website and looked at their complaints section. They specifically state that complaints regarding PPI should be directed to the address above, so it sounds like I haven't wrote to the wrong people.

I have the documentation (copy of CCA with the agreement number on) proving that this loan and PPI did exist (it was only settled in 2008 ).

If they maintain that they have no details of it and cannot investigate my complaint, shall I just go straight to the FOS? :???:

Edited by thegfb

ongoing...

• 4 months later...

According to HBOS the PPI was not missold...

Complaint to FOS sent today :)

ongoing...

• 1 year later...

It's still awaiting allocation to an FOS adjudicator, nearly 15 months after I made the complaint to them.

ongoing...