Disabled parking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a ticket whilst taking my mum shopping, it said 'vehicle parked in a disable bay without valid badge' My mum was with me, the badge is in date and I can only think it wasn't displayed properly! There's no photo yet on the parking companys website so I cant see if it had fallen down the windscreen ( it was taken out before I noticed the parking ticket)

The company was met parking in romford.

anyone know what to do?

You just have an unenforceable invoice. Private companies have no powers to issue fines. It's a [problem].

We know Met very well.

• do not pay

• do not contact them

ignore their threatening letters and the hollow threats in them

• they will give up after 4 or 5 letters

Seems a bit scary to ignore it, would I be breaking the law although that seems to be the general feeling with MET parking. Should I not challenge the 'fine' and then not pay as I feel I've done nothing wrong at all?

HI this is not a FINE it is an invoice they do not have any power to fine you at all. These are the same twits that sent me a notice to owner for parking and returning in under two hours. I did not bother replying to their letters got two from them a further two from DCA (next desk in office) then two from so called solicitor nothing now since August 2008.

By the way the return within two hours they tried on me was my own shopping then my niece borrowed my car and went shopping at the same store. So how could the say that I broke any so called contract with them or the land owner.

dpick

Seems a bit scary to ignore it, would I be breaking the law although that seems to be the general feeling with MET parking. Should I not challenge the 'fine' and then not pay as I feel I've done nothing wrong at all?

It seems scary to just ignore things but it really does work. I and many others on here speak from experience as it really does work. The unenforceable invoice is part of the PPC [problem] to obtain money. From what you have posted, your actions have been totally valid and legal-so why should you be penalised for that!!?? PPCs are not really interested in anything but profit and will use underhand tactics (as you have found out) to do so.

What will happen from here is that you will recieve approx 5-6 more letters from MET and thier DCA threatening all sorts of nonsense.

They will then disappear :)

Disabled spaces and road markings on private land are just graffiti on the road from a legal standpoint. Unless the area has been adopted by the council and has a valid Traffic Regulation Order then they are just a waste of space (unless the council are enforcing it).

You have not broken any laws - you have merely received an invoice for an alleged breach of contract. This being the case the remedy for that is damages. If the breach is upheld then they are entitled to be put it in the position they would have been in had the breach not occurred.

If the carpark costs is free then they have lost nothing.

Your best bet is to ignore the letters you get. You will probably get a few asking for more money and threatening you with all sorts - including Debt Collectors, County Court Judgements and so on.

If you ignore them then they will have to go to the county court to try to get you to pay. They have a myriad of problems to overcome before they can get you to court (like actually identifying the driver). Bear in mind that PPCs don't generally want to go to court because their paperwork is usually unlawful and in some cases illegal.

It can seem frightening but if you do a search on Met on this forum you will see that other people have been in the same boat and not suffered as a result. (Have a look at this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/191832-met-parking-services.html)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

would I be breaking the law although that seems to be the general feeling with MET parking.

You have not broken the law. It's private land - you could have parked widthways over 2 bays with a note on your car saying "I'm not disabled - what are you going to do?" and the 'fine' still wouldn't stand. It's private land - marking are nothing but graffiti. (Of course, parking in disabled spots when you shouldn't is still antisocial and inconsiderate).

Should I not challenge the 'fine' and then not pay as I feel I've done nothing wrong at all?

What do you mean by challenge? There is no appeals process - you will just get a standard 'appeal rejected' template letter back. This is a private company who make their money from silly fake fines. They're not going to turn down cash by accepting appeals!

Even the word 'appeal' is taken from the regulated council system. It's just an invoice. If your BT bill was wrong, would you 'appeal'? Of course not.

Almost a week after the 'offence and there's no photo on there website and I've since found out that one of my mates got a ticket from them whilst going to the machine to buy a ticket!!!

How can they get away with such stuff, can I complain to someone about them?

Thanks for the help guys.I shall be ignoring, I'l let you know how I get on.

I've now seen the pics of the 'offence' on their website and the disabled badge details have slipped under the black are on the bottom of the windscreen,does this alter anything? the badge was valid and if they bothered to look down the windscreen I'm sure you could read the details.

I intend to do what most people on here advise and ignore everything but am a bit nervous!

I intend to do what most people on here advise and ignore everything but am a bit nervous!

Understandable that you're a bit nervous. That is exactly what they want you to feel.

This is a [problem] - pure and simple. They dress it up and mimic official documentation. However the simple fact is it is a request for money by mail.

If you received a letter asking for money with a Nigerian post mark you'd probably be a tad suspicious. Your situation is no different - the post mark is UK but no less suspicious.

Don't let the B*stards grind you down. If you need a bit of re-assurance post back here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pin1onu has wise advice sb67 - make sure you take it :)

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

the badge was valid and if they bothered to look down the windscreen I'm sure you could read the details.

Technically it's not valid.

If you reads the conditions of a blue badge, it is made quite clear that is has no meaning in private land.

That said, the best policy with MET is to simply ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update everyone I've recieved a letter from MET parking saying 'important legal notice' and requesting a payment of £100 etc etc.

I'll keep it for future reference!!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to keep people informed I've recieved a second 'important legal notice' from MET about my 'offence' I'm still ignoring!

By the way there seems to be new parking conditions in The Brewery, would anyone know if it's still run by MET?

There is and never will be anything important about anything MET parking services send you. All you have to do is ignore them - it is only the Local Authority/Police issued tickets that you should take any notice of.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post the latest update,

I've now got a very red letter with 'final reminder, important legal notice' and price increased to £150 and debt collector threats etc.

I'm still ignoring it!!

• 5 weeks later...

I've just received a letter from Roxburghe solicitors stating that they have been instructed to collect the debt, if they do not get a response within 7 days they will pass the matter on to Graham White solicitors who will review the case for potential legal action.

Do I still ignore everything ? or do I need to prepare for legal action, if so how?

I've just received a letter from Roxburghe solicitors stating that they have been instructed to collect the debt, if they do not get a response within 7 days they will pass the matter on to Graham White solicitors who will review the case for potential legal action.

Do I still ignore everything ? or do I need to prepare for legal action, if so how?

Yep 2 letters from Roxcrap then a further 2 letters from Whiter than white then they disappear back into the shell on their back.

dpick