NPower Idiots

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

NPower without a doubt are the biggest bunch of idiots and [problem] artists I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I pride my self on handling things in a reserved manner. I work in a customer services call centre for a large insurance company where patience and understanding is second nature to me. TBH I am a last bastion in this type of industry who really does care and I go out of my way to help people. Maybe I'm just too much of a goody 2 shoes in this day and age.

I pride myself on that trait (customer service / HUGE Patience) and it is something I was good at even before my customer service work. I can count the number of times in my life on one hand where I may have possibly raised my voice or sworn with anger (not at work mind you) as I am almost horizontal I'm that laid back and find it so difficult to loose my temper.

Congratulations NPower. Your absolute uselessness as a company brought me to raising my voice and worst of all (A first for me) I actually swore at least 5 times during my last call to them and also resorted to the F word.

Sorry. Thats just a bit of background blather.

So anyway. I wont go into too much detail as frankly I'm tired of their lack of customer service or service of any level for that matter and I'd rather not blow another blood vessel.

Heres a small bit of basic.

I have had an arrears letter from them stating I owe £100 approx for Gas and £150 approx for Electricity.

3 years in a flat. Never missing a Direct Debit. Always paying the right amount. In fact on estimations I might have perhaps overpaid them (Although not excessively, not to the amount that I think I should ask for a refund).

Moved out March 1st (perhaps a day or so either side).

Arrears letter 29th of March.

Last payment was due 18th of March so in under 2 weeks they send me a demand stating FINAL NOTICE. It is the 1st letter. I had notified them dutifully at the beginning of march I had moved out. After getting final bill statement I called them to complain (£250!!!! - WHAT).

I will point out that in Sept last year I had a letter from them stating bill going from £25 (approx) to (£126)(It had already fluctuated well above that £25 monthly figure to account any underpayment I might have been making). In fact the letter stated that their reason for increase to £126 was the "credit crunch" and cost of gas going up. I questioned them and person told me it was arrears (not as the letter says) as I had under paid.

They assured me £126 for no more than 4 months to pay the excess over the 3 years. FINE. It has been ongoing for 2 months extra and they still say theres £250 due.

ANYWAY. Aside from that and numerous other lies. e.g. Some have told me they did meter readings. A manager today confirmed they never have. I have heard they need to check at least once in 2 years. They haven't although approximately a week before I moved someone came round to read the Elec.

Sorry. I wasn't going to ramble but being the king of waffle the typing above got out of hand.

I have some questions to ask other consumers. (Just down the bottom there)

No personal details need be given.

I am a single male.

I was living in a Studio flat (Living room combined with sleeping, small kitchen and small bathroom).

All very small as studio flats are.

2 working radiators.

Being a single flat, single male etc with a full time job the usage was tiny.

I have contacted the landlady in the mean time to ask her for final readings on the meters to resolve the matter of what was used because NPower are only going by esitmates but their estimates seem to estimate that all users are living in 200 room mansions.

Anyway. Heres what I'm looking for.......

Please could people give me the following details as I truely want to ascertain how much I might have had to spend. People in similar living scenarios to mine above would be ideal.

How much do you pay in total (or seperately) a month for Gas and Elec?

Size of property (number of bedrooms, flat or house?)

How many people living there. Including children?

Also. If anyway could advise on people to contact? I am going to write an email to Ofgem as from internet searches this looks like the correct regulatory body.

I have an address to write to for NPower to obtain a call transcript of all calls I've made to them which will include the "lies" they have given me.

and

as previously explained I am awaiting meter readings from the ex landlady.

It suprises me in no way that as well as this site, if you search on google for NPower more complaint topics appear than general info.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers

Albino

NPower without a doubt are the biggest bunch of idiots and [problem] artists I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I pride my self on handling things in a reserved manner. I work in a customer services call centre for a large insurance company where patience and understanding is second nature to me. TBH I am a last bastion in this type of industry who really does care and I go out of my way to help people. Maybe I'm just too much of a goody 2 shoes in this day and age.

I pride myself on that trait (customer service / HUGE Patience) and it is something I was good at even before my customer service work. I can count the number of times in my life on one hand where I may have possibly raised my voice or sworn with anger (not at work mind you) as I am almost horizontal I'm that laid back and find it so difficult to loose my temper.

Congratulations NPower. Your absolute uselessness as a company brought me to raising my voice and worst of all (A first for me) I actually swore at least 5 times during my last call to them and also resorted to the F word.

So anyway. I wont go into too much detail as frankly I'm tired of their lack of customer service or service of any level for that matter and I'd rather not blow another blood vessel.

I have had an arrears letter from them stating I owe £100 approx for Gas and £150 approx for Electricity.

3 years in a flat. Never missing a Direct Debit. Always paying the right amount. In fact on estimations I might have perhaps overpaid them (Although not excessively, not to the amount that I think I should ask for a refund).

Last payment was due 18th of March so in under 2 weeks they send me a demand stating FINAL NOTICE. It is the 1st letter. I had notified them dutifully at the beginning of march I had moved out. After getting final bill statement I called them to complain (£250!!!! - WHAT).

I will point out that in Sept last year I had a letter from them stating bill going from £25 (approx) to (£126)(It had already fluctuated well above that £25 monthly figure to account any underpayment I might have been making). In fact the letter stated that their reason for increase to £126 was the "credit crunch" and cost of gas going up. I questioned them and person told me it was arrears (not as the letter says) as I had under paid.

They assured me £126 for no more than 4 months to pay the excess over the 3 years. FINE. It has been ongoing for 2 months extra and they still say theres £250 due.

ANYWAY. Aside from that and numerous other lies. e.g. Some have told me they did meter readings. A manager today confirmed they never have. I have heard they need to check at least once in 2 years. They haven't although approximately a week before I moved someone came round to read the Elec.

Sorry. I wasn't going to ramble but being the king of waffle the typing above got out of hand.

I am a single male.

I was living in a Studio flat (Living room combined with sleeping, small kitchen and small bathroom).

2 working radiators.

I have contacted the landlady in the mean time to ask her for final readings on the meters to resolve the matter of what was used because NPower are only going by esitmates but their estimates seem to estimate that all users are living in 200 room mansions.

Please could people give me the following details as I truely want to ascertain how much I might have had to spend. People in similar living scenarios to mine above would be ideal.

Also. If anyway could advise on people to contact? I am going to write an email to Ofgem as from internet searches this looks like the correct regulatory body.

I have an address to write to for NPower to obtain a call transcript of all calls I've made to them which will include the "lies" they have given me.

and

It suprises me in no way that as well as this site, if you search on google for NPower more complaint topics appear than general info.

Cheers

Albino

This is going to be a picky post and I apologise in advance.

You confirm your Direct Debit was always set at the right amount, I did note you say the meter wasnt read for some time resulting in a massive increase and arrears on your account so in effect your payments cant have been right?

If they increased pays in September was a reading given on this? If not then your payments again will have been an 'estimate' again. Your payments will also have incorporated an amount for usage and a portion for debt. Maybe your usage wasnt worked out correctly due to the previous estimates they worked with?

Your final account for £250.00 may have taken into account arrears from that time as well as the usage made too. A catch up 'effect'

Suppliers are only required to make ‘reasonable endeavours’ to read your meter once every two years, which means that the majority of your bills are likely to be to an estimated reading. This is why it always pays to check your meter. A customer should monitor their bills and inform the customer of any discrepancies which prevents matters like yours arising.

On closing your account, did your Direct Debit remain in play? Then your final bill would have been taken from this. They normally advise on the bill when they were due to pay this. Maybe you cancelled your Direct Debit in the interim period (or maybe the bank) thus the reminder being recevied? (14 days is the usual schedule for reminders to be issued)

The manager may have closed down your query as nothing further can be done (in thier opinion) so write in to their Customer Relations Team (even email) and send a seperate letter for your transcripts. Send both recorded delivery and also speak to Consumer Direct on 08454040506 to gain further advise. They may ask you to 'allow' npower to look into resolving the matter from their end, no satisfactory resolution then they can dig in for you.

You will already know that the transcripts are just type ups of the call. Lol. Plenty of juicy reading. I always want to know if they include Umsss and Ahhhssss.

Unfortuantely, if the reads are right, then you have indeed used the fuel and are obliged to pay for this. In a way, customers SHOULD be checking their bills and reads and informing the supplier if they are not a true one, this prevents situations like yours occurring.

Relating to your usage query:

I live in a two bed flat

Electricty only with underloor heating

Electricty DD is currently at £128.00 after my winter bill.

I work 39 hrs a week and am single.

I hope the little snippet (hahahah) may give an insight, I have worked within Executive Complaints so do have a supplier view but also have a view of the customer...going by my DD then you can see why!! Good luck Albino.

Oh and ask for a hold or temporary payment plan to give you time to deal with the issues raised.

ARGH COMPLAINTS!!!

Thanks for your reply MG123

No apologies needed for a picky post and to be quite honest you've absolutely "hit the nail on the head".

After calling consumer direct last night and telling them the details they believe I have been hugely underpaying in all that time.

I put my hands up for my ignorance on how much these utility bills should have cost as it was my first experience of having to pay them.

BUT

It still stands that NPower have hugely messed up.

Consumer Direct have given me a reference number and have said I should start, as confirmed by Npower, by sending a letter of complaint outlining all my issues.

Things to my benefit are as follows.

(A) The intial quote they gave was hugely inaccurate. Both missleading my understanding for the future as I paid well more than that anyway.

(B) In 3 years of living there they have not once done a meter reading which was confirmed by a manager at NPower.

© They sent me a letter confirming premium increase was due to costs going up and have not sent me a written letter about arrears (EVER), apart from the one when I stopped the DD. (In relation to that. I lived their until about March 1st give or take a day or 2) called a day later to cancel, they said they would send final bill, my bills were taken 1st of each month, I got the bill stating £250 on the 18th of March, at that point I stopped the DD so it did not clear)

(D) When speaking to them about the increase in Sept 08 I was then told verbally it was arrears and the member of staff confirmed I had around £300 - £400 arrears equating to around 3 - 4 months of £126 payments to catch up. It has been 6 months so that is an outright lie.

Consumer Direct have stated that they think I have good grounds for complaint. They also stated that any payment of money back to NPower can only be referred to higher levels (debt collection) in the same period of time (This is where I'm hazy and need to double check with consumer direct) since they last read the meter (never / 3 years).

I could have that wrong but consumer direct did state that there was a period from a set date related to my dealings with them which would means lenght of time would need to be taken before they can go to debt collection agencies.

Another good thing they mentioned which is something I was aware of in my own sector of work (The Financial Services). If I am unhappy with the result of any complaint with them, (I will be asking for a "scratching" of any debt") then I should pass my issues to the energy watchdog ombudsman.

The guy at consumer direct said generally energy companies would prefer to resolve a complaint before it goes to the ombudsman as the cost in fines / complaint investigation via the ombudsman in most cases is greater than the debt owed.

I know this much is true in my sector of work and things being referred to the Financial Services Authority.

Its a shame in this day and age that companies such as NPower only accept things in writing. Personally I think its a method whereby they know that customers who cant be bothered to complain / have a borderline complaint wont bother them and they can wash their hands of any issue.

My company upon hearing anyone even utter the words unhappy and / or people showing anger / unhappyness in their voice (A large sigh is enough), as a regulatory requirement we must log a complaint. Complaints are only usually dealt with in writing in cases whereby the client has written to us to complain without contacting us first as 99% of the time the complaint can either be resolved or logged over the phone.

Sorry. Ranting a bit again. Lol

Hopefully it does all go well. I am a prolific hoarder and even have receipts for small purchase from over 10 years ago. Therefore I have a copy of everything. The only unfortunate thing is that my filing leaves a little to be desired so it may take a lot of routing to get everything together.

Again thanks for the advice and info. I think this post was more a case of getting things off my chest.

Hopefuly something good will come of my complaint

Cheers again

; )

Thanks for your reply MG123

No apologies needed for a picky post and to be quite honest you've absolutely "hit the nail on the head".

After calling consumer direct last night and telling them the details they believe I have been hugely underpaying in all that time.

I put my hands up for my ignorance on how much these utility bills should have cost as it was my first experience of having to pay them.

BUT

It still stands that NPower have hugely messed up.

Consumer Direct have given me a reference number and have said I should start, as confirmed by Npower, by sending a letter of complaint outlining all my issues.

Things to my benefit are as follows.

(A) The intial quote they gave was hugely inaccurate. Both missleading my understanding for the future as I paid well more than that anyway.

(B) In 3 years of living there they have not once done a meter reading which was confirmed by a manager at NPower.

© They sent me a letter confirming premium increase was due to costs going up and have not sent me a written letter about arrears (EVER), apart from the one when I stopped the DD. (In relation to that. I lived their until about March 1st give or take a day or 2) called a day later to cancel, they said they would send final bill, my bills were taken 1st of each month, I got the bill stating £250 on the 18th of March, at that point I stopped the DD so it did not clear)

(D) When speaking to them about the increase in Sept 08 I was then told verbally it was arrears and the member of staff confirmed I had around £300 - £400 arrears equating to around 3 - 4 months of £126 payments to catch up. It has been 6 months so that is an outright lie.

Consumer Direct have stated that they think I have good grounds for complaint. They also stated that any payment of money back to NPower can only be referred to higher levels (debt collection) in the same period of time (This is where I'm hazy and need to double check with consumer direct) since they last read the meter (never / 3 years).

I could have that wrong but consumer direct did state that there was a period from a set date related to my dealings with them which would means lenght of time would need to be taken before they can go to debt collection agencies.

Another good thing they mentioned which is something I was aware of in my own sector of work (The Financial Services). If I am unhappy with the result of any complaint with them, (I will be asking for a "scratching" of any debt") then I should pass my issues to the energy watchdog ombudsman.

The guy at consumer direct said generally energy companies would prefer to resolve a complaint before it goes to the ombudsman as the cost in fines / complaint investigation via the ombudsman in most cases is greater than the debt owed.

I know this much is true in my sector of work and things being referred to the Financial Services Authority.

Its a shame in this day and age that companies such as NPower only accept things in writing. Personally I think its a method whereby they know that customers who cant be bothered to complain / have a borderline complaint wont bother them and they can wash their hands of any issue.

My company upon hearing anyone even utter the words unhappy and / or people showing anger / unhappyness in their voice (A large sigh is enough), as a regulatory requirement we must log a complaint. Complaints are only usually dealt with in writing in cases whereby the client has written to us to complain without contacting us first as 99% of the time the complaint can either be resolved or logged over the phone.

Sorry. Ranting a bit again. Lol

Hopefully it does all go well. I am a prolific hoarder and even have receipts for small purchase from over 10 years ago. Therefore I have a copy of everything. The only unfortunate thing is that my filing leaves a little to be desired so it may take a lot of routing to get everything together.

Again thanks for the advice and info. I think this post was more a case of getting things off my chest.

Hopefuly something good will come of my complaint

Cheers again

; )

Lol

Id be tearing my hair out!!

With regards on advising of arrears, if on DD the only time they would advise is on the adjustment to the payments there Albino. Catch 22, bills based on est so unaware of arrears as maybe always in credit or the other way around, summer bill slight debit, assumed payments would help as lower consumption.

Let me know what happens. I can also assist if you want further advise. Allow npower to go through the accounts first as per Consumer Direct.

Good luck Albino.;)

ARGH COMPLAINTS!!!

• 1 month later...

Had dealings with these tw*ts since moving into my flat 2 years ago. They wrote to me to state they would me increasing the amount I pay by DD to more than double the amount. I immediately did an energy price comparison and switched suppliers online. Gave Npower a final meter reading and was astounded that I had nearly £500 outstanding on my gas & elec. Rang them to explain I cannot pay that in full, so they arranged a payment plan for me. Which I was paying for a year. During this period they and their in-house debt recovery, as well as the out-house debt recovery would write to me fortnightly demanding payment, and for every letter sent the amout o/s was reducing (hello? am I then not still paying??) I wrote to them, and had an apology, and a few weeks later the letters came again. Wrote to them again, this time, they were note so apologetic in their response, and they still kept writing to me.

I cancelled one standing order (for the electric), and they had the cheek to write to me for an o/s balance of less than £1. So just to P them off I set up the standing order to pay them 1 pence per week. Idiots. They've not written to me since regarding this one.

A few days ago they wrote to say that I had completed the payment plan and the gas account (which would now be closed) was now in credit - note they make no mention of how they intend to reimburse the overpayment, merely ending the letter "thanks for being an Npower customer, if you have any concerns please contact us, that's what were here for". I'll bet. So this was my response - via email...

"Thank you for your letter dated xxx 2009, your letter code Removal Letter regarding energy supplied to me at the named address, account number xxx. In your letter you acknowledge an overpayment leaving the account £xxx in credit. I also note an omission of the procedure you will be using to credit my bank account with the amount overpaid of £xxx. Therefore please send me a cheque for the overpaid amount of £xxx. I will allow 10 working days for you to send me this payment. If this payment is not received within 10 working days then I will forward this complaint to the energy ombudsman, along with all threatening correspondence I have received from you over the last 12 months regarding monies you claimed I owed (and was paying you continuously during the course of your threats) to give them a background of the nature of my complaint and take the necessary action.

I await your prompt response."

I had a call yesterday as opposed to a reply via email because of all the problems that have occured regarding this account (how courteous of them). I ripped her head off. She barely had a chance to get a word in edgeways. Anyway the cheque's in the post (lol)

I am a single male.

2 working radiators.

and

Cheers

Albino

Well my 1 Bedroom Flat in London, and I have just received a demand from NPower for £568.00 they have got to be joking!!:eek:

BTW underfloor heating is extremely expensive, so far as I can tell the sale people say this is not the case but EVERYONE I speak to who has underfloor heating has a massive bill. Could be coincidence...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
...You will already know that the transcripts are just type ups of the call. Lol. Plenty of juicy reading. I always want to know if they include Umsss and Ahhhssss...

Just to clarify this I've just been through the executive complaints dept with nPower and have requested transcripts on numerous occasions. They've just informed me that I need to pay £10 for them as a SAR. I didn't know the transcript was part of the SAR? Can someone please confirm?

Don't worry I'm not hijacking the thread- I will be opening a thread of my own very soon...

£10 charge?...npower business certainly do not charge this i work for them im doubtful that domestics charge anything, kick off enough they'll call it an EOD and do anything for you. (which is wrong as people who deal with things in a diplomatic/calm way get cast to one side).

You are legally entitled to request information about you stored on a companies files at anytime. A company IS allowed to charge a reasonable fee for this but im pretty sure npower dont charge anything.

• 2 weeks later...

MWACUK- thank you for the response, and sorry for my delayed response, I thought I would get email notification of a reply to a thread I'm involved in?

I've left it with nPower as the Executive team could only up my offer from £30 to £50 for the misinformation I'd receive... thanks very much but it doesn't come close to the near £400 I'm persuing...:eek:

Out of interest, what is an EOD?

Also, if you could possibly confirm whether they do charge or not that would be mighty useful! :)

Cheers.

FJ

Expression of disatisfaction, although they are now called a resolved complaint. If a customer has a complaint and I resolve it it gets logged in that way.

If its something I can't resolve, or repeated contact about the same issue (and the customer is not happy) it is logged as a complaint. It would then be passed to a manager in the appropriate business area.

If you are making an SAR a company can charge up to £10, but so far as I am aware they wouldn't charge to listen to a call. I'm just a peon though so I don't know what exactly is involved in this.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 8 months later...

An amusing update. Its been a while. I couldn't be bothered to read over my own posts and the discussions I had with various members back at the time.

I have come back due to a letter from NPower after things had supposedly been resolved although I forgot to update yourselves on the supposedly "original outcome".

Right. Since I last spoke here I sorted the complaint.

Numerous letters from arrears companies that NPower stopped and restarted numerous times. Due to all my hassle, unwarranted letters even though a complaint was in progress, NPower agreed that due to the poor customer service they would scrap any "supposed" monies owed. Phew. Thats over I thought.

A year or more after my complaint was logged and I'm still living back with the parents.

ANYWAY.

I got a letter the other day with no specifics on.

From NPower stating "they are still looking into matters for me".

I ring them and they state theres a £600 credit on the account which is due to be refunded to me via cheque.

I said "there must be some mistake".

I spoke to complaints and their response was. NPower never actually supplied the Electricity or Gas to my flat. Therefore I shouldn't have paid them at all!!!!!!! Thats why the refund. They made up some wishy washy story about the serial number on meter. My meter was the ONLY one on bill. The rest were meters (or so I remember).

Their advice = Cash the cheque. Dont bother mentioning to anyone else. HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL. This was after I mentioned "If you didn't take it will I owe someone else". When they told me to cash the cheque and effectively forget about it I explained "Thats not the way I work and isn't a very professional stance" which they came flustered by.

I made sure I called the number from their website rather than on the letter in case it was a [problem].

They said they would ring British Gas for me on my behalf and get back to me.

They get back to me saying. Sorry you probably will owe British Gas for the money. Same rather unhelpful and unknowledgable lady so I made my excuses to get off the phone.

I rang British Gas and Swalec (She mentioned Swalec, Swalec provide gas and elec in that area (Wales) and also I think from memory that letters for an ex-resident from Swalec were there when i moved in so they could have been the previous supplier.

Anyway. Swalec. The customer service agent had no record of me or my name nor Swalec having any involvement in the flat since 2006 (Before I moved in).

Oddly enough that guy mentioned his own house is supplied by NPower and him and his housemates have an ongoing complaint with them for 7 months now.

I speak to British Gas who, even if they are not the supplier of the Gas bill they still supply the physical gas.

Again they had no record of me or any bill dealings in that flat since 2006.

They could go a step further and confirm that the billing company from the date I moved in for both Gas and Electric was NPower.

My parents have said cash the cheque but dont spend it (Still got to turn up in the post yet). However I'm going to get onto NPower again I'm afraid.

They really are the worst company I've ever come across. Lol

Its a joke!

Slight edit. I found my confirmation of NO ARREARS WHATSOEVER letter.

The girl who dealt with my case was a Lynsay McNally of Executive complaints.

I have just got off the phone after speaking to her. Again not a very clear image of whats going on but supposedly they state that Swalec is actually owed money.

She stated they are sending a cheque to me and I will probably have to forward that money to Swalec.

I then reminded her about the previous issues and if Swalec have the usage of more than the £600 then they will want that off me too.

She has categorically stated I will pay nothing more. At minimum I will have to forward the money I received from the NPower cheque

BUY

Any difference between that and what Swalec want NPower will obviously foot the bill.

(A) This is their error not mine, why should I have to accept a cheque from them and deal with it myself. Any errors are between them and Swalec. I have no property of my own, paid the correct billing company and have no more dealings with any electric or gas provider.

(B) What a Mickey Mouse letter with no specifics on what the letters about. Staff who seem to adlib and make things up on the spot. Thats how the other lady spoke not Lindsay. I read another complaint elsewhere on the net where someone said something identical RE NPower making up excuses over the phone.

© I moved out almost a year ago (March 2009), my complaints from their records have been ongoing since my original upped bill (Aug - Oct 2008.) Looks like their company really doesn't know what its doing.

I would say that the executive complaints department are the easiest and friendliest dept to talk to although the same cant be said for lots of other areas of the company.

They seemed like they knew their stuff at Executive complaints but now I'm even doubting that.

OH YEAH.

USEFUL PHONE NUMBER.

Some search on the net had people struggling for a number for executive complaints.

Here is the number I used to call Lynsay today.

0845 073 0861

I have her extension but its unfair to post that. Anyone with MAJOR issues or getting no luck might want to speak to a member of their executive complaints dept.

PS. Lynsay has confirmed the cheque is already coming my way but she was going to call Swalec straight after my call. She also confirmed she will be in regular contact via phone regarding the matter.

I'll come back and update where necessary.

Cheers

Albino

• 1 year later...

I am writing an article on how the consumer is taken for a ride and am keen to get in touch with any employees who can explain the pressure they find themselves under , or indeed any customers who feel they have been wrongly misled. I certainly will not mention anyone names. Please contact me anonymously as soon as possible via this blog forum/ message me personally.

Many thanks.