Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • So they seem to be deliberately fouling Britain - not 'just negligently Need to be in jail alongside the PO crims, and rabidly corrupt MPs
    • Well, we know it seems that the poops and others just use there MP position mainly to generate funds from their 'outside' lol interests Lets hope labor BAN second jobs for Mps - all second jobs - then create a truly independent expenses 'police' with real powers Tip of the iceberg: "A cohort of Conservative MPs standing down before the next election have netted jobs worth millions of pounds and have taken dozens of all-expenses-paid trips funded by foreign governments and lobbyists, the Observer can reveal." so far - "top of the list was former justice secretary Brandon Lewis, who has taken on five new part-time roles worth £410,000 a year alongside his commitments as an MP.   Outgoing Tory MPs take lucrative second jobs and ‘swan off on jollies’ | Conservatives | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Sixty four Tories and four independent MPs who lost party whip plan to stand down from the Commons amid dire polling for Conservatives  
    • The first thing you need to do is for your father to send Argos customer services an email saying he wishes to return the item within the 14 day cooling-off period under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. This is important because he needs simple proof to back up his request, as they are being stubborn. Enclose a copy of receipt details so they can locate the sale, Distant selling regulations will apply as he made the contract online with the retailer and they took the payment. The contract is between your father and ARGOS. He has to cancel the contract and receive a refund back to his debit card. You cannot act on his behalf as a third party and they have every right to refuse to deal with you if they so wish. Data Protection the number one issue. I don't understand why Privity was mentioned since nobody is suing anyone. How you received the goods is irrelevant. A retailer's terms and conditions cannot derogate statutory obligation.
    • TfL take abuse of staff passes very seriously. If the pass has been confiscated I imagine they will write to them and it could result in the card being suspended for a time, as I understand it. I hope you've told them about the card being confiscated and why? We need to know how many times you used the pass please - how many weeks at 2-3 days a week. Later I would expect TfL to write to you as well, possibly with a schedule of journeys made with the card, to ask you to tell them which journeys were you. They will ask for your side of the story. We can help you to refine a letter to send once they write but you need to start it off because you're the only one who knows the full story. I suggest something like this. Paragraph 1 a short explanation of why you used the card on the day you were caught Paragraph 2 you know you made a mistake and you regret it Paragraph 3 you understand how what you did is wrong and the effect it has on TfL Paragraph 4 you have taken action - tell them what - to ensure that this doesn't happen again Paragraph 5 you ask if they would allow you to pay the outstanding fare and their administrative costs to resolve this Please don't copy and paste what I've said, use your own words. HB NB This is a suggested reply, don't send it before they write to you because we need to see what they say.
    • I purchased the phone last Sunday evening, online, and paid online.    it was collected in store on the Monday afternoon, and then the return was attempted the following day, the Tuesday. 
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

Someone PLEASE help- tenancy deposit protection- i've now moved out, landlord BIG CROOK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi There


I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer.


I'm a young girl in my early twenties and have been living in a rented property since last June, and moved out yesterday.


The property was DISGUSTING and in a state of disrepair- I've put up with mice, no heating, no water, windows that don't shut (and that's just to mention a few things).


When I moved in last June, my landlord took from me 2 months rent (£620 per month)... He told me £620 would be kept as a deposit until I left the property. However, the wording on the lease says "2 months rent in advance". Now, this money is clearly a security deposit despite the wording because of the following reasons:


1- The money was never used as rent. Despite paying "2 months in advance" on 6th June, I then paid my first full month on 1st July (and this is written/demanded in my signed contract)


2- I then continued to pay £620 per month (at the start of the month, to cover the month) with my last payment being on 1st March. So once again, the "rent in advance" was never used as rent in advance.


3- My landlord then withheld some of this money for marks on the carpet (despite having deducted money from the previous tenant's deposit for the same reason)... so it was therefore used as a security deposit, because if this was "rent" then he had no right to withhold money. He gave me a receipt to say he had returned the money, less money for the carpet and we have both signed it.


So.... other than his wording, this was 100% a security deposit and this is what I had been told verbally- it was never used/intended as rent in advance from either myself or my landlord.


Now, I have checked with the three tenancy deposit protection agencies, and none of them have a deposit registered for myself, or the address I was living at.


What are my next steps? I have kept copies of my contract (original), receipt of him taking the deposit, receipt of him returning (some of) it, receipt of my written notice to him and I made sure that (despite him asking for cash payments for rent) I paid him by bank transfer so have record of all my rent leaving my account for his.


I have spoken to county court and they have sent me type 8 court papers for a small claim, but these aren't easy to complete, I don't know where to send them to or with what money, and can I represent myself???


Am I entitled to claim 3 x my deposit under the tenancy deposit protection scheme (he is not a live in landlord, the property is private and he does not, that I know of, receive over £25k in annual rent for the property)


I'd really appreciate any help what so ever





Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can complete the papers yourself and yes you can represent yourself in court (but I should warn you it's not a walk in the park).


This is a quote from The Deposit Protection Service:-

What happens if a deposit has not been protected?


Where a Landlord fails to comply with Tenancy Deposit Protection, there are two sanctions:-

  1. Unable to use Section 21 notice Currently, a landlord can serve two months' written notice in the prescribed form under Section 21 of Housing Act 1988 on a tenant in order to terminate a tenancy at the end of a fixed term, or after a fixed term has expired. If necessary, a landlord can obtain an order for possession of an AST in the County Courts under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988. However, where a landlord fails to comply with Tenancy Deposit Protection, no Section 21 notice may be given in relation to the tenancy until such time as the legislation is complied with.
  2. Payment to the Tenant Tenants can make an application to a County Court under Housing Act 2004 if they believe that their deposit is not being safeguarded, or where they have not been given the prescribed information about the scheme in which the deposit is safeguarded within 14 days of the landlord receiving the deposit.
    Where the court is satisfied that the landlord has failed to comply with these requirements, or the deposit is not being held in an authorised scheme, the court must either order the landlord to repay the deposit within 14 days of the making of the order, or order the landlord to pay the deposit to the custodial scheme administrator.
    The court must also order the landlord to pay the tenant three times the deposit amount within 14 days of the making of the order.

The Deposit Protection Service




Before you start I would strongly recommend you get advice and help from your local CAB and Shelter. They will help you fill in the claim forms, sort out what paperwork you need to exhibit, tell you how many copies you need of everything etc.


When you are ready take the claim form, witness statement, exhibits etc to the court. The court will tell you how much it will cost to commence proceedings and the fees can be reduced to nothing if you are on various benefits.


I hope this helps you.

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...